“Very pleasant stay. Lovely hotel.”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix
Ranked #4 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Palomar during a work trip and I rely enjoyed it. Our company had all of our meals catered and they were delicious, the rooms are clean and wel lit, and the bathrooms are nice. The staff was friendly and quick to respond to requests. The only thing I have to say is that they offer to replace any items you forgot, and when I asked for a cell
Phone charger they couldn't give me one because they ran out. I also wanted to use one of the rental bicycles and the tires had no air (I was told they were pumped every morning, not true), otherwise it was a lovely stay. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (1,089)

Reviewed 19 August 2014

The usual hotel we stay at was booked. so we decided to try this new hotel. We paid for the "staycation" package for two days. Rooms were swanky and upscale. Service was great, and the meals were on the mark!! Would stay at this hotel once again if they offered the same package from last summer... Recommend....

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view....
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We celebrated our 47th wedding anniversary downtown Phoenix at the Palomar Hotel. The service was the best. We would especially like to thank Teri and Jen at the front desk. They went out of their way to be sure our weekend was perfect. We loved the room, the pool/bar and the location to downtown events was great. It was a great memory for us. GeneZ

Reviewed 17 August 2014

A last minute trip to Phoenix for the night brought me to the Hotel Palomar. When I arrived (by car) I was immediately greeted by a very friendly and helpful valet. I was directed to the front desk and within 5 minutes of my arrival was in my room.

The rooms are impeccably maintained, as is the entire property. Employees greet guests whenever they encounter them---in the hallways, etc.

The room is comfortable, service is great, room service prompt (and good) and internet speed is very good.

I will definitely be a return visitor to the Hotel Palomar.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quietest.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 August 2014

This hotel is great. Large rooms, very nicely decorated.
The walkin shower is excellent, better that the average american "in bath shower".
The only downside of may stay in this hotel was the noise. I arrived saturday night after a 12 hour intercontinental flight. Seemed that there was some kind of party on the rooftop garden, this kept me awake for several hours, same on sunday night but luckily the party was over much earlier.

The blue hound restaurant on the 1st floor is superb. I had a great meal and they also offer a wide variety of draft beers.

For breakfast, go to the breakfast club just next to the hotel on the first floor. You can sit outside and they have a great breakfast menu for reasonable prices.

Hotel is in the city centre, but besides the US airways convention center nothing is within walking distance. So if you need to get somewhere, you need a cab or a car. The hotel offers bicycle's as in almost every Kimpton hotel. But in over 100 degrees cycling isn't advised :-)

The rooftop garden is nice, but when I was there it was like an outside club with a DJ etc. Not really what you expect from a hotel rooftop garden.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the streetside and I assume, the higher the better, because the noise from the mus...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Check in was easy, room was comfortable. Bed and bathroom were excellent. The hotel offered free cocktails in the evening and coffee in the morning. We were going to an event at US Airways center so the location was perfect. Will return, thanks

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed here for a quick, but special night to celebrate our wedding anniversary. This hotel, like most Kimptons, is offered as pet-friendly. This would require, however, that they made some effort to have natural or artificial grass ON their property. Being told to go around the corner and down the street to a public park which was full of homeless people begging was not a good experience each time our dog needed to go outside. And the one piece of grass was surrounded by police caution tape which made it feel like we were breaking the law! The pet bed in the room was dirty and we didn't allow our dog to use it. We also did not appreciate the baby play pen/crib in our room throughout the stay - didn't add to the ambiance for our romantic anniversary stay. We were shockingly asked about this at check-in and then they said it would be removed. It never was.

It is very noisy for a new hotel - voices and doors slamming in hallway sounded like they were next to the bed. The train honking its horn all night kept us awake - we realize this is not within the hotel's control, but the soundproofing should be sufficient to keep out common city noise better than this.

A minor thing, but we did not appreciate the bell person taking it upon himself to open our trunk and start unloading things at check-in! We had one small bag and the dog kennel in the back seat and that was all we needed. We had shopping in the trunk that was to stay and be secure. I spoke to him about this and asked him who told him to open the trunk - he just stared at me.

On the brighter side, our dinner at the Blue Hound (in hotel) was outstanding! Service and food was exceptional.

1  Thank AbigKnight
jhollister, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

I’m so sorry we didn’t live up to the Kimpton standards that you have come to expect. Obviously not our typical delivery of services as evidenced by our wonderful reviews on line however this was your experience and for that I’m very sorry that we did not make you feel at home with us. We should have removed the crib from your room and never should have placed a dirty dog bed in your room. As for the grassy areas, they are limited in the downtown area which is expected for a hotel located in the middle of office buildings, shopping and restaurants however the area we do recommend for walking your dog was having the grass replaced thus making it appear that we didn’t have any grassy areas near the hotel.
As for noise…..there are times the “sounds of the city” are much louder than normal and if not use to staying in a vibrant downtown area the “sounds” can get to you at times.
I hope you will reconsider staying with us and if you do grant another chance I hope you will reach out to me and allow me to personally select your room so I can ensure you have a quiet, peaceful evening with us.
Thank you for your review and for a chance for me to respond.

Jim Hollister, General Manager