“Another perfect staycation!”

The Clarendon Hotel and Spa
Ranked #15 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

It seems there is a new improvement every time I stay at The Clarendon and it just gets better and better. The staff was once again warm and friendly. The roof top deck and bar allowed for a perfect sunset vantage point on Friday. The weather was ideal for it, although I still feel the booze is over priced with light pours. My Greygoose on the rocks was $12 for barely a legal shot. Maybe I am just used to a looser pour though. The rooms were great and I continue to notice little upgrades in the details that make all the difference. And the pool allowed for a perfect recovery day on Sunday. I highly recommend this boutique hotel full of charm, style, and history!. Thanks for another great deal and amazing stay!

• Stayed: April 2013
There are newer reviews for The Clarendon Hotel and Spa

Reviewed 5 April 2013

What a great find! We booked to go to Spring Training and decided to try this hotel after searching many other opportunities. The decor is very fun, retro, unique, original paintings and framed jewelry from local artists. Exceptional Restaurant serving breakfast, lunch, dinner but all with a great SW flair. Great servers, relaxed pace but not annoying slow. Indoor and outdoor seating available, as well as in the small lounge/seating area just before entering the restaurant, adjacent to the bar which is open to the seating area. Bar is smallish but has full selection and great bartenders. Some evenings have entertainment. The restaurant and bar are both seriously popular with locals as well as hotel guests. Front desk small, cool people, pool towels, ice, great snacks (more about that later.) The pool (outdoor) is a little small but clean and great lounge chairs, lounge platforms and seating in the shade, which you really need in Phoenix. There is sun on the pool area all day, so no worries about it being in the middle of the hotel. Hotel surrounds the pool, but is only 3/4 stories high. Rooms are pretty and large, atypical paintings (original, large prints and oils) fun lighting, great bathrooms. Very comfortable bed, high end linens and towels, great pillows. Small frig in every room (that may go away), and coffee. There is a service fee which covers parking, snacks, ice, towels, fitness room etc. If you book direct with the hotel you also currently get a $10 cert. for use at breakfast. The snacks are candy bars, variety of chips, nutrigrain bars, soda, bottled water and more. We love this hotel and will go back for sure!!

Room Tip: Rooms not on the pool if you want to avoid the possibility of late-night noise. We didn't exper...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Was in Phoenix for a trade show and booked last-minute. The Clarendon looked like an atypical hotel so I decided to try it.

The place looks like it was a converted 70's apartment complex, but has been nicely spruced up with a trendy retro feel. The cinder block walls have been stuccoed and painted over several times, albeit with vibrant colors.

Downtown Phoenix was busy and I had friends that paid $500/nt at the sold out Hyatt Regency (not even a Grand Hyatt). Paid $277/nt for a junior suite - not a great value, but price is based on supply & demand.

Room was comfortable, but the carpet was hard commercial quality without padding. Not fun after a full day on a trade show floor. A/C worked well, but the room did not have enough lighting and the bathroom fan was extremely loud and was connected to the bathroom light switch. Bed and linens were very nice, wifi worked well, but room would have been much better if the textured block walls were painted in a soothing color instead of white and if there were a larger window. Bathroom flooring is nice, but tub/shower is not. Nice touch: black "makeup" washcloth for the ladies -- I used it to wipe a stain from a dark suit to avoid white lint. Elevator goes back to the ground floor to stand by for returning guests, so it is slow when you call it to your floor. Fitness Center was pretty bad and the dark paint on the walls didn't help. Small, dark, musty smell, no natural light, and no TV.

The Gallo Blanco "Mexico City-style" restaurant was excellent for breakfast and dinner. Breakfast was included and their breakfast and dinner burritos and guacamole were GREAT and very inexpensive. The restaurant is worth a trip even if you are staying elsewhere.

A nice experience, but I'd probably try a different place next time.

Room Tip: Get a junior suite. The extra space and having an indoor hallway is worth the extra $10.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Ben B, Owner at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2013

Thank you so much for your review, I appreciate the positive review and wanted to address your comments, just to let you know that we're already working on these items.

It was never an apartment complex, but has been a hotel since the early 70s, designed in the 60s in a perfect example of Mid-Century Modern architecture. We're completely renovating the exterior this summer by sandblasting the walls down to their original surface and doing some unique things with the exterior lighting that should be very exciting.

Regarding the flooring, we use carpet tiles from Flor - they're about 4 times as expensive as traditional carpet, but they have an antibacterial and antimicrobial treatment, and with the low pile they don't hold dust mites and allergens. Plus, if someone spills something or has an 'accident' on the carpet in most hotels, the carpet on top might look clean, but the pad underneath usually has black mold and all sorts of stuff growing in it... not here at The Clarendon, if something spills a housekeeping attendant can simply take a tile from under the bed, remove the old tile, and place the new tile down, and the problem is solved in just a few moments.

We've replaced a lot of our lighting and we continue to do so. We admit the rooms weren't the brightest rooms, so we started doubling the amount of light. On the bathroom fan, I'll walk rooms and see if I can find out which rooms have loud fans.

I agree about the textured block walls - I really am not a fan of them but a lot of guests love them. This summer we're reconfiguring all of our guest rooms to have the nicest interiors in the entire central Phoenix market, and part of this is to completely cover most of those walls with a new paneled wall system, perhaps in wenge or another nice wood.

Fitness center now has a TV! We painted the walls a little dark so that it seemed more like a fitness center - before it was extremely bright and just didn't seem very 'fitnessy'.

Thanks again - please continue to check out our improvements, you just might want to stay here again in the future. We are working on pool cabanas as we speak... ;-)

Ben Bethel
Owner/General Manager

Reviewed 27 March 2013

I had just returned from South America and was to stay at another hotel; however, ended up at this one. What a great experience! I felt like I was still on vacation because the rooms are simply designed similar to what one finds when at hotels outside of the USA: brightly colored walls, coffee machine, scented room via electric warmer with incense, reading material, music on when you arrive in the room, robes for use at no extra charge, and so was wi-fi service and all the snacks, soda and water you wanted, and shampoos, conditioner and body wash in larger container on the wall so less plastic bottles are being thrown into the environment! The front desk staff start your stay off with a warm welcome and even touched base with me each time I passed their desk. The attached restaurant is a place to enjoy their food and happy hour specials. Unfortunately I left before breakfast since it opens at 7:30am....to late for a hot environment when one wants to get out on a trail before the air temperature soars. Do try the guacamole...even if I am just visiting the city and do not need a night to stay, I will eat at the restaurant.

Room Tip: Rooms overlook the pool and the waterfall in that area, so I think all rooms will be fine.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 March 2013

The Clarendon is a gem. Great price, great service and lots of fun extras. My kids LOVED the free snacks--full size candy bars, chips and more. I loved the local artists' wares for sale and the creative decor in general. The history of the hotel told in art down a long hallway is worth the trip alone. The rooms are comfortable and well-equipped. The pool and roof deck make wonderful options for relaxing and give a feel of an urban resort. The restaurant is amazing. Most of all, the staff is truly friendly and knowledgeable. A definite YES for The Clarendon

Room Tip: a room facing the pool is quite yet bright.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I haven't even left yet and feel compelled to write a review. I'm in Phoenix for a trade show, during the set up I stayed a less than comfortable hotel in downtown. Thankfully, it was booked full tonight so have traveled 3.7 miles away to Clarendon and feel like I'm in a desert oasis.

A friend recommended the hotel on facebook, and upon walking through the doors I could see why. Great staff, cool vibe, great food at the restaurant that wasn't overly expensive. The rooms are fun and funky, not trying to be anything they aren't and actually quite large in size. I love the personal coffee/espresso maker and am listening to my own music playing on my iPhone plugged into the radio. I honestly don't feel like I'm in Phoenix any longer. I love that they front desk people are so nice and quick to hand out "snacks" (candy bars, granola bars, and chips, etc.) Bummed I'm going to miss breakfast as I have to run early in the morning. Pool looks great and would love to hit the jacuzzi tonight - if only I weren't so ready to hit the hay after two awful nights of sleep in the other, shall remain nameless hotel. This bed is comfy.

Room Tip: Loving the view from the 4th floor.
1  Thank jessbug58
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Are you looking for a place to stay in Phoenix where the front desk staff greet you with REAL smiles? Where when you go back to that same front desk after you have checked in and they REALLY remember you? Are you looking for a hotel that doesn't look beige or brown or boring or like every other hotel you have ever stayed in? One that has vibrant, fun, hip decor and people staying there who reflect that same uniqueness? And did I mention the pool area & rooftop?

As someone who is passiontately committed to supporting locally owned businesses as well as businesses that are committed to sustainable practices, imagine my delight when I drove up to see an Electric Vehicle charging station with a vehicle PLUGGED in! And in the room, a survey asking me if I mind using wall dispensers to save 123,000 bottles of shampoo, conditioner and soap from being consumed each year?

And want to see the owner? Ben Bethel is there, hands on, and gives you his card with his cell phone number on it so that you can be in direct contact with him if you need him for any reason.

The Gallo Blanco Cafe truly over the top delicious with locally sourced fruits and vegetables to the extent possible. Best carne asada I have ever had since arriving in the southwest over 37 years ago.

I shall return.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a quieter room (which I will request next time because of the music at the po...
2  Thank Gina1950