“Highly recommended, highly disappointed”

Ranked #15 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Los Angeles, California
“Highly recommended, highly disappointed”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

It was very obvious that this hotel and spa is a motel makeover but a poor one. First I do have to say the lobby, staff, and restaurant were great. The rooms and overall look are another story. At check in we were upgraded to a suite yay right, well the room was on the first floor with a view of the parking lot, so we could NOT open our shade to let any natural light in. We were practically in the dark the whole time. The sink had no hot water and and the TV had no movie Channels. The beds were average, the closet had curtains for doors and the room wasn't the cleanest (window sills were dirty) . All in all from the high rates this hotel has received I expected lot more!

Room Tip: Go for the second or third floor
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Overall an old hotel which they have tried to update with some paint and nice things. Probably not a 4 star hotel as they claim but overall it was okay. Enjoyed the free snacks that came with the hotel fee. Had a nice restaurant in the hotel. Kinda a shady area outside the hotel tho.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Pleasant Hill, California
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I spent a weekend 11/15 through 11/18 at the Clarendon because I like to support local and small businesses, plus the hollywood look of this place helped. A few things; on Friday night several drunk folks were returning to the hotel and because it's a court yard facing hotel you hear everything, but that's what you get. On Saturday a horrible yelling, slamming fight match happened in one of the rooms at around 2AM. This fight went on for about 30-45 minutes and it was then that I called the front desk, but there was no answer. The hotel doesn't have security and apparently they don't care about the noise factor for their guests.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank rjmonares
Ben B, Owner at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Thank you so much for your review.... we do have security, and I am aware of this situation. This happened in the room closest to the front desk of the hotel, and we were dealing with this from the moment the incident started. A drunk guest came back after the bars closed and had accused their spouse of cheating on them... it turned into a yelling/slamming situation. At first, our staff had them immediately quiet down... then it escalated again and we called the police and had them removed. I didn't know it went on so long.... I think the entire event was this long, and we apologize for this. From what I know, one person locked themselves inside their room, and the other was outside trying to get in. The police arrived and both individuals were evicted from the property, told never to come back, and if they did that they'd be trespassed. I also charged them for their room night and gave them a $250 fine.

We do have security, but that only goes so far when people are being out of their mind and threatening... any security person isn't going to physically grab a violent person, they're just going to attempt to get the person away and call the police. With this case, we had to assess the situation and get the police over as quickly as possible.

I sincerely apologize for this... it does happen, and there's not much I can do about it. I'm very sorry that this resulted in a negative review of the hotel, as it was an isolated incident that doesn't happen too often. It can happen anywhere though, I've seen some pretty crazy things happen at some of the nicest hotels in the world, similar to this but many times worse.

Hopefully if any potential future guests are reading this, they'll understand that this was an isolated incident....

Ben Bethel
Owner and General Manager
Red Oak, Iowa
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I love the Clarendon. It's not just a hotel for me, it's a destination. My sister and I purposely fly to Phoenix to stay here. The rooms are nothing to write home about but the beds are comfortable, the air conditioners are cool, and the walls are solid so it's quiet. The pool area is so much fun. It draws an interesting kind of people that are always fun to watch. The cabana was bliss in August.

The restaurant Gallo Blanco is absolutely delicious. One of my top favorite restaurants I have ever eaten at. True story. Get the guacamole and the carne asada burrito. You won't be disappointed.

The staff can be a bit inconsistent but more often than not they are kind and helpful.

It's a favorite, I'll be back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Merdog
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I loved staying at this hotel. I stayed for business but really felt like I got a bit of a vacation in because the hotel was so cute - a boutique hotel with charm, personality, style, and an AMAZING restaurant Gallo Bianco on the first floor. They have a beautiful roof deck with a wonderful view, a beautiful pool, the front desk staff were really friendly. The only reason I didnt give it a 5 was because my room was right in front of the elevator and it was loud at times. Try to get a room away from the elevator and you'll give your review a 5! The rooms were simple but funky and very clean. I was sad to leave!
Tips: try the flan - it's incredible..amazing flan. Also, try the omelet for breakfast and get the homemade corn tortillas on the side. DELICIOUS! oh and they serve incredible coffee.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Prescott Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I'm glad this site allows me to write a review unlike Hotwire.com. This property was a total let down. It has been remodeled with low end materials. From the floor tile carpet to the carpet baseboards. The bathroom had severial things wrong. Starting with the sink didn't fit the base properly and the base was sticking out, the fan was loud and very dirty, the water tempature of the sink might have been 80 degrees after I shut off the cold supply under the sink. I was surprised the shower actually got hot. There was very little area around the sink to sit anything, the shelf near the sink was broke. The window track of the window in the room that was to the outside of the building was packed with dirt. One of the lights in the room didn't work, The flat screen in the room took severial minutes to turn on (just frustrating, at least it worked) The bed was ok for a pillowtop. I know it sounds like I'm ranting, but I really expected better from a four star after having a better experiance at a three star in Las Vegas.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bill B
Thank you for your review... I'm also glad that this site allows me to respond to your reviews, as I think it's really important for everyone to read my response too...

I see that you mention "low end materials"... I do want to set the record straight on carpet tiles... they're actually about 4 times as expensive as the carpet that most other hotels use. They are as green as it gets, made from 100% recycled materials and are 100% recyclable. I think it's important to use a product that is created without any new material... the company that makes the tiles, Flor, is a great company too... they even use geothermal energy to heat/cool their plant and energy collected from landfills to power their plant. The carpet tiles are treated with antibacterial and antimicrobial agents, so there cannot be any mold on the tiles, it's impossible... and with a shorter pile, there's something like 99% less dust/debris/dust mites/dander/skin/hair/etc in carpet tiles than in traditional carpet - I don't know about you, but I personally like the idea that I'm not breathing in the previous guest's skin, hair, and whatnot in a hotel with carpet tiles over carpeting. Also, in a hotel with traditional carpeting, if there's a spill of anything (wine, urine, semen, blood, or even *water*), another hotel usually just cleans the surface carpet and the rest of that stuff is festering under the carpeting in their padding, creating mold and mildew and other awful and truly sickening things... like things that truly cause illness. With carpet tiles, we simply remove an affected tile and clean/sanitize it for food/water stains - or send it off for recycling if the stain is considered a biohazard. I can guarantee you that no hotel in the world with traditional carpeting is going to have as healthy of a floor, no matter how clean it looks. Really, this is something to consider... and think about. That's why I spend about 4 times as much on my flooring as any hotel out there.

On carpet baseboards... yes, I hear you... I do need to change this and fully admit it. We have a mid-century stucco on the walls, and putting a solid baseboard on this surface is just going to look really, really weird unless done right... it's been on my list for a long time, so I'll definitely move this item up a few notches. If anyone has ideas how to make this work without looking awful, I'm all ears!

On the sinks not fitting the sink bases, most of them do fit, and the ones that do not fit are only off a fraction of an inch... still, those sinks and sink bases will be replaced in the next 90 or so days, along with all guest room furnishings. We're very excited to be replacing all furnishings soon, and will be using a company that has furnished many of the best 5 star hotels in the world... I think it's going to look great.

Regarding the bathroom fan being loud and dirty - I am having my staff look into this and will be walking all guest rooms in the next few days now that we have a week with low occupancy. I am sorry for this, there's no excuse for dust on anything, at all... and any loud fans should be reported and immediately replaced... that's just not acceptable and I'm sorry for that.

The sink temperature should be the same as the shower temperature... although here in Phoenix we use 0.5 gallon per minute faucets, compared to 1.5-3.0 gallon per minute showerheads... so I understand the frustration, it just takes longer here to get hot water to a sink faucet. Let me explain a little further: if the pipe between the faucet and the main hot water line is holding about 1 gallon of water, that means it'll take about 2 minutes for hot water to get to the faucet, and twice as long if you just have the faucet on "warm". We're trying to be leaders in water conservation, and when we installed the faucet aerators we cut our water consumption from 287,000 gallons of water per year (at the sink faucets only) to 57,000 gallons of water... that's enough to fill about 25 swimming pools... and just from one small 100 room hotel. I know it's a little inconvenient... I'll look at changing it back... but living in the desert I feel really awful wasting so much water.

Regarding area around the sink to store anything, yes you're definitely right again, and we're working on it... we just installed the first two prototype bathrooms, with a lot more storage including very large medicine cabinets... if these work out, then we'll install them as quickly as we can and this won't be a problem any more.

On the window track being dirty and a light not working, and the TV taking a while to turn on (not sure why on that one, I'll have to start testing that out, because I've never heard that complaint about a TV), these are issues that I hope you won't see any more. I had a housekeeping supervisor that was amazing, she left recently, and the person that took over didn't cut it, so they've been let go... the new rooms division director is from The Phoenician, so I'm hoping that we see some really positive changes and less bad reviews like yours.

On the beds, that's usually one of our top compliments, mentioned many times per day by guests... we use the same exact brand and model of mattresses as many Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons hotels, as well as the local Royal Palms hotel... so I'm always surprised if I hear any issues on the beds. Sorry if you thought it was just okay - we do try these out personally before buying them, and again, this is an area where I spend extra money - my beds cost me about 3 times more than most reasonable hotels would spend on their beds... I just think that it's important to have excellent, excellent beds.

I do appreciate the opportunity to respond to your review... I hope that you stop by and take a look at the property again in the future... if you like it, let us know and stay with us... I'd be more than happy to take great care of you... and show you that we're always striving to provide an excellent service to our guests.

Ben Bethel
Owner and General Manager
New Jersey
Reviewed 11 November 2013

From the cute boys and oh-so sassy girls at check in, I could tell we were going to get along.
Easy covered parking next to hotel. Room was large and modern, fridge was wine-cooler spec.
Bathroom is sleek, towels plush, bed really good. Black-out shades and huge TV. One drawback possible, AC is on the loud side. However, I realized it was white noise for the hallway sounds, so it actually does the trick. Didn't hear any voices or doors.
Pool area is very cool, nice accepting area, lots of seating, would be great for a party.
Deck on roof was awesome, saw a band on Thursday night that was great. Bartender 2 feet away, views spectacular.
Mexican restaurant off lobby is a scene. Loads of people at the bar and tables both inside and out. Food was good and not very expensive. Eating here is a no brainer if staying at hotel.
I did grit my teeth when I saw the $20 a day 'hotel service fee', but the rate was so reasonable, I mentally added it to the daily fee. If they offer you water and snacks when you get in, take them - $20 bucks worth.
I am coming back here for sure.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo