The Clarendon Hotel and Spa
  • Breakfast included
US$179
US$159
  • Pool
Arizona Grand Resort & Spa(Phoenix)(Great Value!)
US$211
US$217
US$180
  • Restaurant
1,413 results
All reviewsgallo blancorooftop barfree snackscafe tranquilofront deskcandy barspool areatacoship hotelbreakfast vouchersjunior suitewine hourcentral phoenixon site restaurantstay cationgreat poollight rail
Reviewed 9 October 2010

Lovely, good looking, great design, locally owned, kind (and good looking) people. Great pool. Had a great time and am particularly appreciative of the affordable parking, wireless, free printing in the lobby, etc. Great stuff. The lower stars on here are just nitpicky peeps. Good mattress and awesome service. BEST location too.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank JohnMatthew69
Reviewed 7 October 2010

When I first arrived in my room, I noticed there was hair in the bathtub that was also stained. The next day I left my room at 6am and returned after 5pm. I found that my room had still not been made up. I called down to the front desk and asked for my room to be made up. They said they would send someone right up. I left my room to allow easy access for the housekeeper and noticed a housekeeping cart down the hall. I returned an hour later and noticed that while the housekeeping cart was no longer there, my room was still not made up. After additional phone calls my room was finally cleaned.
At the pool I noticed several cigarette butts littering the area, even though the pool is posted no smoking. When a front desk staff member was out in the pool area, one guest lit a cigarette in front of her. Rather than asking him to put the cigarette out, she simply said hi to him. At the same time there were a group of people in the pool drinking a pitcher of beer. This did not create a pleasant environment to be in.
I left a note asking to be contacted by the manager and never received a reply.
I would not recommend this hotel for families or anyone looking for a relaxing getaway.
The restaurant on the main floor had good food at a reasonable price. The service at the restaurant was excellent.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank btv3
Reviewed 6 October 2010

Stayed two nights on business. Fantastic staff, comfy beds and amazing rooftop lounge. Complimentary glass of wine at check-in was a nice touch. Overall it was a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 October 2010

Arrived @ 12ish noon to check in....no room available until 3:00pm so we attempted to wait in the restuarant area. Hostess attempted to seat us @ a table where occupants were already seated!

According to hotel staff delay in preparing room was due to installation of microwave which we found casually seated in the middle of the bar area! Window covering is made of cracked/modified pvc T's attached to a steel rod which displays a watercolor drawing that is stained and tattered. Bathroom shower never drained properly and toilet seat was falling off! I contacted the front desk and housekeeping staff to repair both items to no avail.

Rooftop bar consisted of old plastic resin chairs with a makeshift bar and bartender. No one ever offered to serve you when you arrived nor made you feel you should be present.

Poolside area is a extremely dirty and unkept. I observed as staff only cleans area at the beginning of the day. All cups, newspapers, trash and other common debris left behind is merely that....left behind! I watched one patron collect all the cups and take them to the restaurant/lounge area himself.

The lounge covers are extremely dirty and stained from body fluids and other items patrons utilize while reclinging on them. No staff member ever attempted to clean them or wipe any the fluids away. It should be noted many patrons 'extremely' relax and become romantically involved on these lounges!

How lucky could you be to have a 50" in Plasma/LCD television that gets no reception!! We ended up watching the NFL games on our cell phones. No channel line up listed or available. No hotel book of services or amenities in the area available.

The best overall review of this hotel is a really nice Motel 6 at best....but even they clean the pool and pool area!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mejoy2
PHXBen, General Manager at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2010

Thank you for your review - without the criticism from guests we cannot change for the better, so we really appreciate your feedback, which will cause us to improve our operations and will have a very positive effect on future guests' experiences at The Clarendon.

On the check-in and not having a room available until 3pm, that's standard check-in time and since we are close to sold out almost every day of the year, we work hard to ensure that rooms are available at 3pm.

Did you request a microwave? Not sure if this is the reason for the delay... keep in mind that microwaves are usually a no-no in hotel rooms in Arizona, according to the Phoenix Fire Department. All it takes is one burning bag of popcorn to burn a hotel down...

The artwork is meant to look that way - we use only local artists instead of stock photos of Monument Valley and howling coyotes... our artwork has won numerous awards, including best hotel art several years ago.

Please let us know what room you were in - there's no excuse for a shower not draining or a loose toilet seat - it does happen from time to time, but this means that someone's not doing their jobs checking rooms, which is unacceptable and I promise to deal with this as soon as I'm finished writing this response.

Rooftop bar: this is completely changing, and we should have about $150,000 in improved shade structures, flooring, furnishings, and lighting by October 29th. We realize that this area has seen better days - just keep in mind that the hotel industry went through the worst hotel recession since the great depression. Even in its current state, was just named Best Rooftop in this year's annual Best of Phoenix awards.

Poolside cleanliness issues are unacceptable - I will bring this up immediately! It's really painful to see us spend about $2000 a month on replacing pool towels and recovering furnishings only to see children and adults with their shoes on jumping up and down on the pool beds.

I haven't heard of any reception issues on any televisions... again, as soon as we find out what room number this was we'll look into it. Perhaps someone pressed the "input" button on the TV and changed it from TV to something else? A channel lineup is given to you in the property information sheet upon check-in.

I'm sorry for your experience and your feelings towards the property... as the winner of "Best Boutique Hotel" in this year's Best of Phoenix awards, it hurts to see a review like this pop up - the last thing I want to see is that guests are having anything less than an exceptional experience at The Clarendon. We're the only hotel in the area to offer wine at check-in, parking, internet, a free minibar and free bottled water (no paying $8 for a bottle of water and $12 for stale macadamia nuts here!), turn-down service in the evening (to correct issues with your stay), and a great restaurant to boot....

Ben Bethel
Owner/General Manager

Reviewed 5 October 2010

My wife and I stayed two nights at the Clarendon. The first night was quite satisfactory. The building has obviously been around for awhile, but the rooms were nicely updated with designer touches and a nice flat screen TV. The turn-down service person came by shortly after we checked in was very good at supplying a few extras we wanted. We were not able to use the pool on this visit but it looked inviting and the pool furniture appeared comfortable. There is a nice waterfall in that area and a very large jacuzzi at one end. The restaurant looked like it was doing good business and many customers appeared to be locals.
In all honesty, we had some problems on the second night of our stay there. However, we were contacted at home by the owner of the hotel, Ben, and he assured us he was not happy either and would be addressing our issues with his staff. We believe everyone is entitled to have an off day every once in a while, and we just happened to catch one at the Clarendon on our second day. We are very impressed with Ben and wish him success.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business