“Great hotel, great restaurant.”

The Clarendon Hotel and Spa
Ranked #15 of 175 Hotels in Phoenix
San Francisco, California
“Great hotel, great restaurant.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2010

Lovely. Good food downstairs, beautiful pool, and easy to get to and from.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2010

The Clarendon is a gem in the desert of Arizona. From the outside, it's unassuming and blasé. But once you're inside, it's a mecca of hip but relaxed comfort, food and ambiance. The staff is amazing and the accommodations are pristine. Large suites, great views from the rooftop patio, and amazing cuisine in the Gallo Blanco Restaurant make this a perfect place to either unwind or conduct business with important clients. We stop in every year.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2010

At just under $140 per night, it was about 30% more expensive than the Radisson around the corner but did not present itself nearly as well. Although I called ahead and requested an earlier check-in, I had to wait 45 minutes for the room to be readied and did not get in until 2:30. When I entered the room, the maid was still finishing. It was obvious she had not vacuumed. I picked up four different pieces of garbage from the desk, coffee table and floor. Amazingly, the maid came back twice between mid-afternoon and bedtime to remake the bed! Why I have no idea. I'd rather she had vacuumed! lol
The carpets in the foyer and elsewhere show signs of wear (a lot of staining) and sections of the exterior have paint peeling off the surfaces. The roof deck needs a barrier to block the view of the mechanicals that cover the non-decked area. (The Saturday morning yoga class on the roof did not happen.)
The independently run restaurant serves better than average food but unfortunately doesn't open for breakfast until 8 which is late for those of us catching an early flight.
Front desk staff didn't seem to know the area and directed us to a coffee shop far from the hotel when in fact two other outlets of the same chain were closer. A friend left a message on the telephone in my room but the phone gave no indication (flashing light) that it was there, and to the best of my knowledge it wasn't.
Don't get me wrong. I was basically satisfied with my stay, but the impression the hotel leaves is that it is trying to be hip/different but just doesn't have the money to keep up with the wear and tear. The owner needs to ensure the basics are in place before dreaming of building the spa that is talked about as coming in the near future.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
PHXBen, Owner at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 30 October 2010
Thank you so much for your review... I am glad that I have the opportunity to respond.

Regarding the other property down the street that you mention - our rates are a bit higher, but that other property has one of the busiest adult bookstores in the city across from the lobby and visible from half the guestrooms.

On the early check-in, we have no problems at all with early check-ins as long as we have your room type clean and inspected and ready. With six room types, even at 50% occupancy, it's sometimes hard to have your room type ready prior to 3pm. And lately, our occupancy has been over 90% frequently lately, so we're always rushing to make sure that we have as many rooms clean as possible by check-in. Sorry that we couldn't accommodate your early check-in when you arrived - we really do try to make it happen, but sometimes it is just very, very difficult.

Good news - all of the carpets in the public areas, lobby, hallways, meeting rooms, gyms, offices, rooftop and some guest rooms will be replaced in November! We're excited about this, and do use Flor - making us the only hotel in Arizona and one of the few in the US to have antibacterial, antimicrobial flooring that's also carbon-negative!

We are also creating some barriers to block the view of the new a/c units on the rooftop, but don't want to obstruct the awesome view of the surrounding mountains, skyline, etc... so remember, look at those, not the rooftops nearby! ;-)

We are also working on the following things in the very near future: new entrance canopy, new signage, and great improvements to the rooftop and lobby and guestrooms - many of these will be done by December, so when you come back you'll see some great changes. Keep in mind that we're owned/operated by friends and family, we're local, and we're just coming out of the worst hotel recession since the 1930s - it's been rough, we've made it, and we're getting everything back in ship-shape order. I appreciate your patience while we've been getting there and look forward to having you as a guest of The Clarendon again soon!

Ben Bethel
Owner/GM
phx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2010

look good on that place hotel ,I never see that place when I walked down and saw what's that building until I see it with signal said " the clarendon hotel" I decided to enter into a hotel building its entire look so beautiful i cant believe that I love it I slept very well I am very satisfacted guaranteed!

Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2010

I stayed here one night with a friend who was visiting on business from Canada. She was very concerned about bedbugs and asked several times about them (she'd just come from a trip to NYC). The staff was wonderful in handling her concerns---in fact, she learned that the owner of the hotel's MOTHER had just come on staff to head up HOUSEKEEPING in order to really caretake this and any other potential housekeeping problem.

Now, how often does THAT happen?

We had a very enjoyable stay at this lively, interesting, friendly hotel. There is a little bit of magic here---people are all "working right." Thank you for the comfort and convenience.

1 Thank mh999
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2010

Lovely, good looking, great design, locally owned, kind (and good looking) people. Great pool. Had a great time and am particularly appreciative of the affordable parking, wireless, free printing in the lobby, etc. Great stuff. The lower stars on here are just nitpicky peeps. Good mattress and awesome service. BEST location too.

1 Thank JohnMatthew69
Burlington, Vermont
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2010

When I first arrived in my room, I noticed there was hair in the bathtub that was also stained. The next day I left my room at 6am and returned after 5pm. I found that my room had still not been made up. I called down to the front desk and asked for my room to be made up. They said they would send someone right up. I left my room to allow easy access for the housekeeper and noticed a housekeeping cart down the hall. I returned an hour later and noticed that while the housekeeping cart was no longer there, my room was still not made up. After additional phone calls my room was finally cleaned.
At the pool I noticed several cigarette butts littering the area, even though the pool is posted no smoking. When a front desk staff member was out in the pool area, one guest lit a cigarette in front of her. Rather than asking him to put the cigarette out, she simply said hi to him. At the same time there were a group of people in the pool drinking a pitcher of beer. This did not create a pleasant environment to be in.
I left a note asking to be contacted by the manager and never received a reply.
I would not recommend this hotel for families or anyone looking for a relaxing getaway.
The restaurant on the main floor had good food at a reasonable price. The service at the restaurant was excellent.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo