“Pure Joy”
Review of Phoenix Symphony

Phoenix Symphony
Ranked #41 of 230 things to do in Phoenix
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This is one of the very finest symphony orchestras in this country, extremely competent and enthusiastic, every performance is a joy to experience.

There are newer reviews for Phoenix Symphony

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Every time I came to this place I cannot help but marvel at how this place and the musicians have to depend on donations to stay in business.
The Symphony Hall is right in the center of downtown Phoenix which the city had spent years to vitalize (I think they call it re-vitalize but I have never seen it vitalized before). There a numerous restaurants and sports bars in the area and we usually take the opportunity to experience them every time we come downtown for a concert. The Symphony Hall has an air of high culture and arts. The interior looks very classy and the lighting is just right. The staff are mostly elderly volunteers who are very helpful. At the lobby, there bars with wine, beer, coffee and snacks. There are two main levels of seating, the lower level and the balcony. I have always been at the lower level when I was there. I have seen classical, cover shows (like James Bond music), ballet, etc and every time, I could not help but admire how skilled and professional those musicians were. I also like the sound system and sound management of the concert hall. The sound is so balanced regardless of where you are in the audience.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

The Phoenix Symphony plays a variety of classical music--and the location is right downtown within walking distance of major hotels and restaurants.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Great concert March 15 with Suk (Dvorjak's son-in-law) symphonic telling of a Bohemian fable and Brahms' Piano Concerto #2 (soloist was Fabiola Bedeni). Awesome orchestral sound, especially the bass section. Any performance attended has been well worth the time invested. A must do in Phoenix? Absolutely!

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We have come a long way, baby! The facility is fine, and the musicians are superb. I cannot say the same about many of the patrons; I cringe when I see people wearing jeans or shorts to the symphony. No, I am not an elitist, but I am from California, and we dressed up for the symphony. Hey, Phoenix, how about a dress code?