“Love the place!!!”

Ranked #17 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Santiago
“Love the place!!!”
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We were invited by some friends members of Interval and gave us the one bedroom, one bathroom unit. We simply loved it. The bed and pillows amazing after a long day out visiting Grand Canyon and surroundings. We were able to use the pool at the Marriott Hotel nearby which is really nice. Food and drinks very good as well. We are fans of Marriott vacation Clubs. We trully enjoyed.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the small pool are quite!!
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Sayville, New York
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I just got back from a trip where I stayed at this property for a conference. For me it was a positive experience. The room was extremely clean, attractive and had everything I needed. The balcony had a nice view and let the sun in perfectly. I did get a chance to use the swimming pool and found it very refreshing. I noticed that they were a lot less children than I thought there would be. Maybe it was the time of year but it would make me hesitate to bring my two little ones there.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 15 September 2011

We are owners of a week in Hawaii. We had a week banked with Interval and used a week at Marriott's Canyon Villas so that we could visit family in the area. I am not a big fan of Interval because I always seem to get inferior hotels to the value of my home resort in Hawaii. I was delighted to be able to trade for another Marriott property but I guess that's because summer in Phoenix is less than ideal. That said, I am rating the hotel/property, not the area of Phoenix.
Our unit was a standard Marriott time share 2 bedroom suite with full kitchen. It had all the normal amenities we have come to expect from Marriott. The staff was friendly and helpful. Our unit was a ground floor unit clear in the back of the resort - building 2300. The grounds are desert landscaping which I must admit is not appealing. The room was clean and well appointed however, there was a tear in the couch on a seam, the light outside the door was broken as was the bulb inside so that when coming back to the room at night it was difficult to see the door lock. The diningroom table was pretty well worn and there was someting smeared on the leg of the table - I hope it was chocolate - that I got on my slacks. (Obviously from a prior guest.) Some of the dishes were missing and did not agree with the inventory posted inside the cabinet in the kitchen. I made a list of what was wrong and dropped it off at the front desk. We finally got the outside light fixed when the maintenance man stopped by to check out the fire extinguisher. I pointed out that problem to him and he promptly had the light fixed. Other than that, very little of the other items seemed of much concern to anyone. I guess I would say this unit was a little worn. As another reviewer noted, the buildings are the boxy desert design and pretty boring and basic. The floors must have no sound insulation because I could hear the people above us a few times. We did not use the pools so I cannot comment but they looked nice enough. The beds were very comfortable - normal for a Marriott property. There were plenty of Gas Grills and they were immaculate.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank jane_in_va
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 September 2011

We are Marriott Vacation Club owners and this year we took the family to Canyon Villas in Phoenix the second week of August. We knew it was going to be hot, but we figured we would do all the pool type activities in the morning and travel about to air conditioned venues in the afternoon, and then come back in the evening when it cooled down a bit. Well every day averaged about 104-106 degrees. And while it is dry, my oven is dry and I don't stick my head in the oven. The one good thing about going in the summer I suppose is that the resort is not quite as busy.

Unfortunately our stay did not start off on the right foot. After a nearly 6 hour flight and shuttling a ton of bags (there were five of us) from the airport to the hotel, all we wanted to do was go to our room, change and relax. Check in time is 4PM. We arrived shortly after 4 PM and our room was not ready, and they said they could not accommodate our request for a high floor. They finally found a room, but they said it would be about 2 hours before it would be ready. We were told later by one of the staff that during the summer, when it is much slower at the resort, they do not hire on their entire staff and this could have very well been the reason it was taking so long for the rooms to be ready.

One good piece of advice is to definitely rent a car. Because we were four adults and one child, we did not rent a car at the airport because we would have needed a large car or SUV to fit all the luggage. So we rented a car at the Hertz rental agency connected to the JW Marriott Desert Ride on the other side of the street ( One of the perks of staying at the Villas is that you have access to all the facilities at the JW Marriott). We actually hired a Super Shuttle van exclusively for our family to take us to the hotel. It was very reasonable and we were all very comfortable with no problem handling the luggage. Because it was an exclusive rental (about $69 one way for all of us), there were not stops or drop offs to the hotel as there would be had we taken one of the "regular" Super Shuttles. Then we rented a much smaller and affordable car at the hotel for the rest of the week. This allowed us to try many of the great restaurants in the Scottsdale area and well as visit some great museums.

One of the best museums we visited was the MIM (Musical Instrument Museum). If you like music, this is a must visit. It is a beautiful museum and very close to Canyon Villas. The facilities at Canyon Villas were ok, but not as nice as some of Marriott's other vacation club properties. We found ourselves spending more time at the hotel across the street which is magnificent. It has more pools, lazy river, choice of fine restaurants, etc. Our two bedroom villa was clean and roomy and pretty much a copy of other Marriott Vacation Club villas.

All in all, we had a great time. My six year old granddaughter had a blast as well. I would not hesitate to recommend this property, but probably not in the heat of the summer.

Room Tip: I would choose a higher floor not facing the pool (because of the noise level).
1 Thank nyrxman
Lumberton, NJ
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We arrived at the resort late on Tue. Aug 30 so check-in was a breeze. My wife and I were there to celebrate our 15 year anniversary without the kids. A list of activities for the week was included at check-in, and there is a little bit of something for everybody going on throughout the resort from early morning to late evening every day. We had booked the one bedroom unit which was small but adequate for two people. I travel with a blacklight to examine the room for "hidden" stains on beds/floors, etc., and to my surprise, the unit was extremely clean (I almost always find something)! These kind of things always skeeve me out, but I'm happy to report that the sheets and pillowcases were spotless! Only a couple of random stains on the couch is all I could find. The fridge and microwave came in handy, the bed was comfortable, the deck overlooking the pool was nice, and the high-speed internet was fast. Also, the parking lot had covered parking spaces, which proved extremely useful when going out in your car after a day sitting in the hot Arizona sun! The next morning, we discovered our unit didn't have a hair dryer, but after a quick call to the front desk, we had one within minutes. A visit to the concierge was extremely helpful in planning activities for us in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area, and she had advice on everything from dining to hot air balloon rides to Jeep tours in Sedona. Plus, she handed us a Marriott Vacation Card and a sheet of paper with local establishments offering various discounts when you displayed the card. The workout area is amazing -- from free weights to cardio machines -- you'll feel like you're a member at a gym. The pools are nice and stay open until 11PM. We did go over to the JW Marriott side of the resort, and it's even nicer over there! Free valet parking for Canyon Villas guests, and free access to the pools and the lazy river! You don't even have to carry cash or credit - everything gets billed back to your room which is nice. Never had a chance to go golfing, or check out many of the restaurants at the JW Marriott, so I can't comment on that, but we did volunteer to attend their 90 minute Vacation Club presentation at the suggestion of the concierge in order to get a $100 credit to resort. While the presentation was very interesting, and the vacation club seems like a good value, it wasn't within our budget at this time. Although the presentation was not high pressure, it did last nearly an hour longer than advertised so be prepared to sit there for 2.5 hours if you attend. We also chose to get 15,000 Marriott Reward points added to our membership account instead of the $100 Resort credit which basically amounts to a 1-2 nights stay at a Marriott-brand hotel (depending on the brand). Overall, we were extremely impressed with the resort and kept saying to each other how much fun the kids would have had there! We plan on taking them back!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2011

We Selected this Marriott resort forthe first week of our two week vacation in the desert, so I can now compare with another Marriott resport where we spent the 2nd week, and also compare to our "home" resort in Spain. All I can say is that we won't return to this resort! First impressions are that it resembles a concrete motel. The design is basic and uninviting. The hotel grounds are desert like (OK, yes well we were in the desert, but compared to Palm Desert grounds which are beautifully tendered, well there is no comparison. Our apartment was at the far end (future development/expansion area), near to the "quiet pool" which was in fact a spa pool, and overlooked what I would describe as scrubland. As a result I wanted to spend as little time in the resort or on our balcony as possible. Yes the JW Marriott across the road is very nice but it kind of defeats the self catering element of the vacation if you don't feel relaxed and pleased to stay in your room or on your balcony doesn't it? Compare this to our subsequent week in Desert Springs - a massive improvement and an altogether different experience for all of us including my teenage stepson who even had things to do in DS (unlike CV where he was bored out of his brain).
TO anyone considering switching your tiomeshare to this resort - if you have stayed in other upscale Marriott resorts such as the Spanish ones or the Californian ones, then you will be unimpressed with this place, and I would recommend you look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Avoid the "quite pool" views unless you like looking at scrubland
2 Thank electroshock
Airdrie, Canada
Reviewed 29 August 2011

We stayed in a two bedroom condo for a week and it was amazing. The condo was extremely clean and very roomy. The washer and dryer is a definite plus when you have kids travelling with you. Everyone that we dealt with was really friendly and very helpful. The main pool is very large and has lots of seating around it. There is a small cantina there as well that serves food and drink - everything can be charged directly to your room so no need to carry cash