“Desert Oasis”

Ranked #23 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Valley Center, California
“Desert Oasis”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

The location is great with shops and restaurants just a block away. The grounds are immaculately kept and beautiful. The condo was great, although the sofa was a bit dated. Spacious one-bedroom with a full kitchen. I read that they are planning a major upgrade soon, even though it really didn't seem like it needed it. The pool area was beautiful, with lots of places to sit. There were also lots of things to do around and in the pool, such as water basketball, air hockey, a pool table, shuffleboard, bocce ball. We used the bbq's quite a few times and they were always clean and well cared for.
They contacted us prior to arrive to see if we had a specific location or any other special requests. We had asked for a 3rd floor golf course view and an early check-in since we were taking the red-eye from Hawaii, but when we got there they offered us a condo in a completely different location and no early check in. We asked if we couldn't be in the location we had requested and she said she had to check. When she came back, she offered us two other condos in even worse locations, so we opted for the one originally oferred us (seemed a little strange to us). She did actually call about 15 minutes later to let us know that all of the sudden our condo was ready (also seemed a little strange). Once we got to our condo, all the troubles went away and we had a really enjoyable stay.
We took advantage of golf clinics at the JW and also spent a day at their lazy river. Both were wonderful. We also had dinner at the Meritage Steakhouse at the JW...very yummy and great services.
We definitely hope to plan another stay soon!

Room Tip: 3rd floor over looking the golf course or the shuffleboard courts.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ginchly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Location was good and the ease of access to the Marriott hotel (shuttle service) was nice and easy to use. The hotel and pools were really nice. A shuttle every 1/2 hour. In the villas where we stayed,we were in a studio suite & it was OK. Kitchen sink was tiny but usable. The bed was comfy, but the pillows had definately seen better days. The couch could probably be tossed out, it had seen better days as well. I don't know for sure, but I heard that the villas were going to get renovated soon. They could definately use some work. Carpet was not so nice and the units themselves were dated,(to put it kindly).Grounds and pool area were nice and well maintained. We would probably stay there again, but for sure the room we were in was not up to the standards that you typically find at Marriott properties.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

We are Marriott time share owners and have stayed an many of the Vacation Club destinations. The Canyon Villas are very much up to the high level of standards we have come to expect. They are about to upgrade the villas and It would seem to us that they are ahead of the actual need. The service provided across the board was excellent. From the front desk to the maintenance staff we were always met with a pleasant smile and accurate service.

The location is convenient and the grounds beautiful. There is an herb garden, several pools and the fire pits were well used and enjoyed.

We would go back in a minute.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
West Bloomfield, Michigan
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We made our reservation on impulse with a Getaway from Interval International. I am normally looking for warm and sunny vacations in the winter and November was a surprise vacation for us. Wow! November in Phoenix was fantastic. Weather was 60's at sunrise and 80's every day.

The Marriott Canyon Villas has had several improvements since I was last there in 2011 (I own weeks at this resort). The pool has been updated and has a great area at the timeshare resort. Only 20% of the chairs were occupied so no need to reserve. We prefer some shade and sat neat the waterfalls and the fake red rocks. The pools at the J. W. Marriott are available for timeshare guests and they have great pools, water falls, a lazy river and a pond over there. The lobby, bar, and restaurants at the J. W. are five star. We played golf at Kierland, The Boulders, and Troon which are all great courses and the J. W. Marriott has two nice courses which host an LPGA event.

The Canyon Villas units are all two bedrooms with some lock-offs and some dedicated two bedrooms. In a lock-off, the second bedroom has a king bed, a mini fridge and micro wave, a balcony and a couch. The master side of the villa has a luxury bathroom, huge whirlpool tub, separate shower, even a second sink and make-up area outside of the shower/toilet area. I was surprised the water pressure in the shower was so strong, how do they get this much water in the desert? The dedicated two bedrooms have two full size beds in the second bedroom. This was really nice for my teenage daughter to have a bed instead of the couch when Grandma came along.

The kitchens, counter bar, living area are all very nicely appointed. I had a private balcony facing south as I requested (faced North in 2011 which is great for warmer weather). Buildings 2600 and 2700 are adjacent to a new relaxing courtyard. The area has giant sails overhead to provide shade and overstuffed chairs and couches to sit and relax or read a book. One group had their own happy hour out in the courtyard and seemed to enjoy the intimate casual space (and probably the BYO prices). Which reminds me to say the Desert Ridge Mall is less than a mile away and has over sixty shops and restaurants. I love to walk over there in the morning to go to Starbucks or Paradise Bakery? My wife prefers to sleep in and have me deliver the fresh croissant from the bakery.

The staff was very friendly and efficient. I had good communication about room preference and advance ideas from the concierge about restaurants. I did not get the feeling that I was being hustled to buy more Marriott Points or take the tour. Of course the concierge asked, but, I did not feel any pressure. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful as was Lane Palma, the assistant to the general manager.

Bottom line, one of the best timeshare vacations I have had (out of maybe thirty trips). the first thing I did when we got home on Saturday was make my reservation for next November. I cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for the courtyard area. think about a balcony facing North if shade will help in warm weather...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank D_Bondman
captiva, fl
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Stayed here last month for 5 nights in building 3000. Rooms and exterior really showing their age. Guessing a remodel job must be in the near future. Service is excellent. Tried to get a 3rd floor but none available. Location of Villas is good with Desert Market Place nearby. Wildfire Golf course in good shape and service there excellent also. Spa at JW also top notch. Daily activities at Villas are scheduled, but most are not exciting to us. Design of entrance severely flawed. There is some water and rock island that you must navigate around. Cars always going up over the curb due to Very narrow lanes. Will probably revisit in a few years after a complete remodel. As we say in our Retail Industry - "This place needs a Kiss!"

Room Tip: Prior to booking, inquire about remodel and current room conditions. Top floor is best but tough to...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank csheetz
Seattle
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I was lucky enough to get an in-expense week at the Marriott's Canyon Villas and I didn't realize how lucky I was. The place is beautiful. The staff is smart, and accommodating-they remember your name! The rights to the JW Marriott across the 'street' are awesome. You get the best of both worlds staying here. I'm tempted not to say anything because I want to come back - and often. I wouldn't recommend ground level around the pool. I really don't want to leave - I scheduled my flight a couple days early because I'm by myself, but now I'd rather stay here alone a week than stay a partial with someone else. The only recommendations - get a mic for the Monday presentation or tell the grounds keepers to be quiet. I don't want to go home..please let me come back and soon!

Room Tip: Stay in the US and don't go to Mexico - especially Cabo, spend your money locally.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Tampa
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Great place, very spacious , very clean.We stay in a one bedroom with a pool out bed. Close to stores. Beautiful resort. The swimming pools was really nice. Very friendly staff. They have happy hour I believe is like from 3:00 to 7:00 by the pool. On the court yard they had a band playing. Was really nice. I recommend this resort is excellent in every way.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends