“Lovely canyon villas”

Ranked #19 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Kent
“Lovely canyon villas”
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

We had a wonderful week at marriott canyon villas! Accomodation is large clean and very pleasent. Lots of parking available. Lots of gorgeous clean pools and some nice places to eat. Close to a large shopping complex, with a free shuttle service. The only thing I would say is that it is a fair drive out from the city, but this isnt always a bad thing!

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Keeley C
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Canyon Villas, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Thank you for the five-star review of Marriott’s Canyon Villas! Our entire team appreciates your kind words and we look forward to having you back in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Wichita, KS
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Front desk service was excellent at check in. This is our 2nd trip here. Villa was very clean and quiet. Comfortable beds. Used the golf course. Service there was excellent. Course was in great condition. Will definitely return again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank b2buck
Thank you for visiting Marriott’s Canyon Villas! We truly appreciate your five-star review and thank you for sharing your experience with fellow travelers. We hope you return to visit us again soon in Phoenix!
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 21 February 2014

The Marriott Villas are a first-class operation but we stayed in a 1-bedroom unit that was very small with no view so it didn't really seem like a resort experience. The service was excellent and there was a nice gathering each evening for guests. But the resort is kind out of the way, with little else interesting nearby. The Desert Ridge shopping center adjoins the property but it's a quarter-mile walk and the center's main feature is a grocery store--handy for sure to buy stuff for the room and fridge. But not the kind of shopping that appeals to visitors which is found in abundance a few miles away in Scottsdale. On the other hand, if what you're after is access to luxury hotel amenities, the adjacent J. W. Marriott hotel has plenty of those.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chuckwellborn
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Canyon Villas, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for visiting Marriott’s Canyon Villas. Our team is happy to hear you enjoyed the service you received and the great nightly activities. Your feedback about your villa is also appreciated as we continually work to improve our guest experience. Thank you again for visiting us and providing your review of Marriott’s Canyon Villas.
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed at these villas over the New Year holiday with our two kiddos and my in-laws, who had their own room. We rented a one-bedroom villa with a connecting two-queen studio for our guys. We were on the first floor and liked our walk-out balcony. The covered parking is first-come, first-serve but we never had an issue getting a spot. We were in one of the further buildings, which I liked because we were away from the noise from the pool and resort traffic.

The unit was very roomy with a nice-sized kitchen and ample dining table. We had a walk-thru bathroom and nice living area. I didn't find the rooms very worn as previous reviews stated. That said, we're not in the Marriot vacation club so I viewed it more as a regular hotel room.

We enjoyed the pool and there is a separate "mini splash pool" for little kids. I used the workout room, which was nice. One area has all cardio equipment and there is another area for weights. Our kids enjoyed the common room off the lobby with an XBox set-up. You can also rent movies and buy some quick snacks (and wine) at the little room off the lobby. Having a full kitchen and washer/dryer in the room makes travel so much easier, especially with three generations in tow.

The outdoor fire pits are nice and we went to a sponsored candy-apple making station and, later, hot dogs and brats by the fire. You're very close to the J.W. and can use its facilities and you're near so many restaurants and entertainment options (like an AMC movie theatre).

We would definitely return for the room space and convenient location in the city.

Room Tip: decide in advance if you want upper or lower level floor and then call before you get there for bett...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank KristinWA
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 18 February 2014

This is not a Marriott, this is a timeshare. Your Marriott status gets you nother here; not an upgrade, no concierge lounge, no late check-out, not even a complimentary bottled water. Like most timeshares, the talented employees sell memberships, they don't provide service. The pool isn't that special - stay at another Marriott and be treated better. Not sure how anyone would rate this 5 star - they must be in the vacation club & desperate for additional owners.

Room Tip: pay the person checking you in cash? Hope & pray?
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Michael S
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Canyon Villas, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thank you for visiting Marriott’s Canyon Villas. As a loyal Marriott Rewards member, we appreciate your feedback regarding your stay and apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Marriott Vacation Club is not a typical hotel experience and provides our guests with many additional amenities, services, activities and a luxury full-size villa. This does limit our ability to offer late check-outs due to the time required to service the villas.
Thank you again for your review and for being a loyal Marriott Rewards Member.
Long Grove, Illinois
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Spend a week here in October 2013 for our third visit to this resort and had an enjoyable stay.
The grounds and rooms were well kept and the service was top notch. The resort is starting to update some of the rooms and we were notified prior to our stay and were not bothered by any construction. With all of the activities at the Marriott as well as local activities, we had a very good visit to Phoenix and will plan to return.

Room Tip: We requested a golf course view suite and were fortunate to have a wonderful view of the JW and the...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
St. Albert
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I accidentally reviewed the J.W. Marriott Desert Ridge and the manager wrote back to say I got the wrong place. Sorry. My apologies. I should have rated the Marriott Canyon Desert Villas, Phoenix, which is part of the same complex. In any event, what I wrote for the J.W. Marriott Desert Ridge applies in full to Canyon Villas (timeshares). The Marriott holds its staff to almost superhuman levels of service and, by and large, they manage to succeed.

If you want to know more, read the book by Marriott's Founder. J.W. Marriott called "The Spirit to Serve". I might sound like a Marriott zealot but I have no financial interest in this company. They really know how to run great resorts. I bought in about 7 years ago to a Marriott Timeshare in Aruba (2 weeks). Now we use the Destination Program, which basically takes the points from your owned timeshare weeks and lets you go anywhere that Marriott owns and that is a lot of places.

We love having a full kitchen and a space that is probably four times bigger than a typical hotel room. You are a partial owner of a nice condo. If you want a cheap deal, go somewhere else. Marriott is not cheap but you get what you pay for. I love the fact that whether we go to Aruba, Hawaii (Kauai or Oahu), Scottsdale, Palm Springs, Marco Island Florida, or anywhere else, the units are equally comfortable and spacious and well maintained. I wish I had the genius to have invented and set up this system myself.

How they keep staff so highly motivated I do not know but when I ask, they all say Marriott is a great employer. (Maybe they fear losing their job? Who knows?) The fact is that service is the best I have ever experienced anywhere and that is the truth.

Our recent stay at Canyon Villas was very good. Because it costs money, it tends to be older people like myself (63) who go there. When I was 25, I could never have afforded it. As I said in my misdirected review the only slight beef I have is that I really do not like being pressured into going to an "owner's update" which is code for a high pressure sales meeting under brainwashing circumstances. I have trouble saying no. The last time I agreed to such a meeting for two free games of golf, I spent an extra $17,000 on top of the $50,000 already invested and on top of the about $3,000 a year I pay for "maintenance fees". But for that I get great accommodations in many luxury places and a break from work.

Non-owners can often get really good prices to stay in Marriott timeshares, no strings attached. Just watch those timeshare sales events that seem to have me dazzled to the point of opening my bank account too easily to pay for more privileges.

Room Tip: All rooms are good. Try and get one by the pool.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PaulAlberta
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Canyon Villas, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
We appreciate your five-star review of Marriott’s Canyon Villas! As a Marriott Vacation Club resort, we take great pride in providing our owners with an exceptional vacation experience. We hope to welcome you back soon and thank you for your review!