“Aging facility with big rooms next to great JW Marriott Resort”

Marriott's Canyon Villas
Ranked #16 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Chandler, Arizona
“Aging facility with big rooms next to great JW Marriott Resort”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I had a business conference at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge resort but the hotel was booked up. So I decided to book a room next door at the Marriott Canyon Villas.

The Good:
The room was very spacious. These are time share rooms so most have full kitchen and dining rooms with separate bedrooms. Although I didn't use the kitchen the appliances where full size and clean. If visiting with a family this would be a good way to save a few dollars on meals.

The pool at the Villa's is as good if not better than the JW. There are also activities for adults and kids to keep you occupied.

The Not-so-good:
I am not sure when these were originally built but it had an older feeling. Everything has been renovated, but the underlying rooms just felt older.

The Bad:
Every morning I woke up feeling like I had poured sand in my eyes. I am not sure what it was but several of my colleagues complained about the same thing.

Overall:
If given the choice I would prefer to stay in the JW Marriott next door but the Villas are a good alternative.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank Doug A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Swapped a week of our Starwoods Property (Westin Kierland) for a week at Marriott Canyon Villas due to missing a deadline to convert our star options (villa stays) to hotel points (hotel stays) through Interval international. Wife selected this as our best option, though we have never stayed at a Marriott resort before (other than Marriott Hotels). Arrived Saturday after a few days at the Grand Canyon, so the kids were ready for some water activities and pampering. Had to wait four our villa to open up (an hour or so) and then we went to suite 2643. The villas are being renovated and the places across from us were being painted, so there was plenty of workmen around in the morning, ladders and sprayers painting the exterior. Seems like our building was one of the last remaining to be renovated.

Suite was a 2 bedroom, 2 full bath suite for four individuals (wife, myself, 9 and 11 yr old), and it was very large, larger than we needed. We looked to downsize and move closer to the pool but nothing was open. Third floor, corner unit and it was great - the carpet was a little worn, the sofa needed to be replaced and some of the furniture had dents/nicks in it, but the suite was working well for us. AC worked well, lighting was ample. Kitchen was usual, though we would have preferred a gas stove, instead of electric. The washer/dryer combo was in use at least once or twice daily from swimsuits to everything we brought with us. Ceiling fans in the two bedrooms (master had a nice King bed, closet w/ safe and a dresser/tv stand combo and two end tables. Small reading chair in corner and a slider out to the balcony looking into the courtyard. Bathroom was divided (one had a tub/sink for the wife, and the other half had a sink, toilet, shower stall for me) - worked out well. Tub though was not a jacuzzi tub. Kids bedroom was 2 double beds and full bathroom, closet and tv/dresser.

Opinion was this was a great choice for us. Parking was close and under cover (100 degree sunny days) and we walked up the stairs to the unit. Daily my wife and I went to the gym to use the elliptical machines. Nice touches were the cleaning tissues to wipe down the machines and chilled wet towels were great - stored in a mini fridge. Pool was nice, plenty of chairs/chaises, some under misters. No life guard. Music and live music on occasion. Pool side restaurant close by, but no servers went walking around looking for patrons. A couple of games - pool table, ping pong, air hockey, fos-ball table, available for the kids. Some activities offered daily, but we were never around to take advantage. We did take the shuttle over to the JW - which is across the street, kind of a hassle as the shuttle is hourly. Pool and lazy river are nice, plus restaurant is nicer than Canyon Villas. We did this only one day, as the hassle was not worth the fun for the kids. Grumpy waiting in their wet suits for the next bus.

Nice week, no hard sell by the timeshare folks - just a card on the door, a "free gift" offer on a card at check-in but we avoided the main lobby.

Villas are across the street from the Desert Ridge shopping center, which is great for us. The kids loved the Dave and Busters game place - went three times, while my wife shopped at Kohl's or Marshalls. Some nice restaurant choices for us and Albertson's grocery store was full service place - probably visited almost daily during our week stay. Better choices for a family than Kierland Commons, which is high end, nice, but not offering a variety of choices - we had pizza one day from Slices, burgers from SmashBurger, sushi from Nori, movie from AMC and of course D&B for the kids.

Room Tip: Check on status of renovations. 3rd floor corner unit was a nice choice - extra window in the kids b...
4 Thank TravelerofNJ
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 24 August 2014

My family and I stayed in a 2-bedroom villa in August, 2014. The property is gorgeous and well kept. They are currently renovating the units but this did not interrupt our stay. We did have an issue with the unit that we stayed in but management took care of it immediately and moved us to another unit. Staff was friendly and very helpful. The activities they offered were nice for the kids. Having access the the J.W. Marriott was nice as well although I would not advise using the lazy river at the J.W. on a weekend as it is extremely busy. We did the lazy river one day and decided the pool area at Canyon Villas was much nicer and less crowded.

Room Tip: Rooms near the main pool are newly renovated.
Auburn, Washington
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We are Marriott owners and this was our first time to this location. We arrived Saturday and were told our room would be ready in approx. 1 1/2 too two hours. No problem the pool and restaurant is located right next to their office. We were hot and tired and just wanted an ice cold drink. We unfortunately were not greeted by the bar tender had to get his attention because he was giving 110% of his attn. to other customers just chatting and was oblivious to everyone else. The patio at the pool was a hot mess and how dare you think you would be able to walk barefoot. Not sure what happened but it seemed as if someone had taken some extra patio material and busted it to just lay there. Clearly right off the bat we were not impressed. We notified the activity mgr and she gave us free drinks and chips. Thank you!!! :). However; the Marriott as a whole and this location being an "8"? No thanks. We finally got our room "three hours later". The rooms are outdated and are currently updating. Their pools are all shallow and none are over 4ft deep. Our entire family love deep pools. Tried to call the GM. Left a message and never heard back from the assistant until of course .......oh sorry I am leaving for the day?!?! Ugggg!!!! Then Marriott wants us of course to spend more on the Marriott brand? Sorry - no thanks! We spent and spend enough! :(

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Stetson777
Rocklin, California
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My husband and I just returned from our 7 night stay at the Canyon Villas. My husband had some business to take care of in Phoenix, and so I tagged along to hang out by the pool. I found a special on Interval for $400 for the week and thought that was a great deal for 7 nights. The villa was a studio unit and so it didn't have a full kitchen but everything we needed for our stay. I also worked out at there gym a few days which I thought was great. One room full of cardio equipment and another full of weights. Water and towels available for everyone also.
There is a Target and Albertsons close by so we picked up a few groceries for the week. We had a small refrigerator, coffee maker, microwave, dishes, utensils etc...The room was nice and clean and so was the bathroom.
The staff here I thought was extremely friendly and the service was excellent!
I was expecting the pool area to be crazy busy with kids after reading a few other post, but it was actually pretty mild compared to our home resorts. The lounge chairs were very comfortable and I had no problem finding an umbrella or a chair under the misters, which was a must. The prices at the grill area were very good and I liked how they had happy hour from 3-5 every day. Domestic beers for $3 and other drinks at a discount. Now that's a deal!!! The one area that could use improvement was there was only service out at the pool one day of the seven. My husband and I were surprised that they didn't have a server even on Saturday. A small recommendation.
Close by there is a very nice outside mall with many choices of restaurants to choose from. Yard House, BJ's, Sandbar, Macaroni Grill, Islands, Dave and Busters, just to name a few. We didn't have a full kitchen so we ate out every night and had lunch at the pool daily. There was a market place inside that had many snacks, coffee, teas, sunglasses, water toys, etc. if you need anything like that. There is also a shuttle that will make it's rounds to the JW Marriott next door if you would like to take advantage of their property with the lazy river, or will take you to the shopping area. We never took advantage of this service but it is nice knowing it was offered to us.
All in all, we had a fantastic week and we both enjoyed the pool and the villa very much! We will definitely return!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ALERTDIVER
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We had a wonderful week at the Marriott Canyon Villas. We had a two bedroom rental with lots of space and a full size kitchen. Staff were all very kind and helpful. The pools were beautiful and you can also use the facilities at the J.W. Marriott Desert Ridge. Shuttles were very helpful to get back and forth and also to the shopping center right near there.

1 Thank Orioles08
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Disclosure: we are owners here!!..we really like CV. Staff knows us and treats us very well. They are In the middle of a refurbishment program and we stayed in one of the newly refurbished rooms. They are dong an excellent job. We very much appreciate the service we receive here!!!!!! Located adjacent to a J.W. Marriot which is a plus!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple