“Great location, nice place, not good enough to buy”

Marriott's Canyon Villas
Ranked #23 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Michigan
“Great location, nice place, not good enough to buy”
Reviewed 26 October 2009

We stayed in a lock-off unit (no full kitchen), and it was fine for two people. I'm glad I didn't trade my Maui unit for this place though, because it wouldn't be worth it.

My first big beef with this place was that as soon as I walked in, there was no hotel book in the whole room. By hotel book, I mean the book that gives a map of the hotel, the amenities, the TV channel list, restaurants on-site and in the area, etc. I called the front and asked where it was, and they said they were in process of printing new ones. Not a good excuse. Also, there was no Where magazine in the room, just a permanent hard copy version of the weekly magazine, which is very cheap. I found out at the JW hotel guests though were given a copy of the weekly Where magazine though- the villa guests are not good enough I guess to get this.

The vacation club villas were a good 14 minute walk to the main JW Marriott hotel, since our villa was the farthest from the central area. Although I don't mind walking, I found the walkways to be awkward and disjointed, and there were no signs on how to get to the JW. The lighting between the 2 resorts was truly awful- way too dark to be considered safe. There was no "welcome owners" reception, and the activities at the JW were not readily shared with the villa guests. I found out at the JW about a nature walk given on Saturdays at the hotel, and I'm glad I went (it was great), but this wasn't advertised at the villas section. The market pantry was poorly stocked and pretty pathetic, with no decent magazines. Our TV turned itself on and off mysteriously (I think it had a broken touch sensor), and after I told the front desk, she said someone would come and look at it. Nobody ever came. No room tidying was ever done, so I can't speak of the housekeeping. The location was very good, but the resort just isn't good enough to be a true destination. The JW however was very nice, but I felt so separated from it with the lack of signs and lighting. The villa guests seem second rate to the hotel, and I would never buy one of the villas. The shuttle that ran between the two resorts was never useful for us, since I didn't want to stand and wait when I could just walk and get there faster. The spa was excellent and the on-site hotel restaurants were very good. I loved how they had cold water available all around the hotel, villas, and pools.

The resort was very nice, with comfy beds, good towels, etc...everything you expect from Marriott. The flair was all at the JW however, but the main pool section at the villas was a good size and had a fun waterfall in the center of the pool. We saw tons of rabbits on the grounds, which was cute, and some interesting birds. We hiked up Camelback Mountain, which was awesome, and I would highly recommend it. It is was strenous though, and you need to be adventurous to do it.

We ate the the breakfast restaurant at the JW and at Roys also, they were very good. The villas has no restaurant, but there is a shack at the pool area that serves typical fried food wonders.

I though the Phoenix area was wonderful, with a great climate, and beautiful scenery. There are lots of day hikes to do, so it was hard to choose just one due to our time contraints. The airport was only about 20 minutes aways and we didn't encounter any big traffic tie ups.

Of the JW wasn't there, this place would be sooo boring.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
9 Thank sparklesque

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Texas
Reviewed 9 October 2009

We recently stayed at the Marriott Canyon Villas for 3 nights so we could go see the Grand Canyon from there. My mom, 11-year-old daughter, and I stayed in a two bedroom unit, and it was fabulous! The units are furnished very nicely, large flat screen TV's in the living room and both bedrooms, beautiful landscaping throughout the resort, etc.

We did go over to the JW Marriott next door to visit the pool and lazy river. The JW is lavish both inside and out, landscaping is fantastic, and there are several ducks wandering around outside - very cute. However, we didn't feel the need to go back again to its pool & lazy river. ( We don't care for lazy rivers where water squirts on your head a few times as you go around.) We actually found it to be more enjoyable at the pool at the Villas. The only drawback to the pool at the Villas is that there is no shade where you have to stand in line to get food and drinks at the pool bar - also no mat to stand on, so if you're in bare feet on the hot concrete, watch out!

Another great thing about the JW next door is that we ate at Roy's Hawaiian. I'm a big fan of this restaurant (have eaten previously at the one in Philadelphia), so I made reservations. It happened to be Restaurant Week in Phoenix, so we got a 3-course meal for $29! And most of the seating is outside with wonderful landscaping and tiki torches, so the atmosphere is just wonderful.

OK, back to the Villas - not only did we enjoy the condo itself, we also enjoyed going out in the morning just beyond our patio to a large paved area with a waterfall, foliage, gas grills, tables & chairs, and a playground with a slide, which is formed as the tail of a gigantic lizard (or gecko??). There are even pails and shovels in case the kids want to play in the "sand" (it doesn't look like beach sand, but it's sandy-ish).

We didn't have a lot of interaction with staff, but they were very responsive if I had a question or needed anything. We had a lightbulb out, and they replaced it within minutes.

As previous posters have said, the Desert Ridge Marketplace is very close and has tons of restaurants, shops, movie theater, gas station, etc. - also an Alberton's grocery store so you can stock your fridge. (You can look at website for Desert Ridge Marketplace to see what shops it has.) We don't cook on vacation, but we always get soft drinks, snacks, and breakfast items - we use just the fridge and microwave. Oh and we also used the coffee maker, but we didn't particularly care for the complimentary Yuban coffee - but it was nice that they provided it. Also, daily maid service was provided at no extra charge like at some timeshares. I know there's also a little market shop in the lobby of Villas, but we weren't there long enough to use it, so I can't speak to what it carries.

We really enjoyed the covered parking at the villas - keeps your car much cooler. No charge for parking, and there seemed to be plenty of it. The villas were actually pretty full when we were there, even though it was after all kids had gone back to school. They said it was because JW was full and Villas were taking overflow. But it didn't seem crowded at the pool, parking, etc.

We enjoyed the misters at the pool, water basketball, and the games around the pool area - air hockey, ping pong, billiards, and the big checkers/chess board on the deck.

On this visit, we took the 1-day tour to Grand Canyon with Detours. They picked us up at Villas at 7:30 a.m. and we returned about 9:15 p.m. (a litte behind schedule, not due to anyone's fault). It was a very informative tour, and we even decided to do the optional helicopter tour with Maverick Helicopters at the Grand Canyon. You can get more info at Detours website.

We also visited the Heard Museum, which is very nice (AAA has a small discount for this museum). We had lunch at their outdoor cafe - wonderful food and very nice little courtyard area. You can view the menu at the website for Heard Museum.

One last bit of info - there's not really a convenient place to get gas close to the airport, but you can gas up your rental car at the Shell station at Desert Ridge Marketplace, and your tank will still show "full" when you return it at airport. Try renting from National - that's where I found the best deals because you can stack contract ID's and coupons.

I always get my travel info at Tripadvisor, and I hope this info I've posted will be helpful to you!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
12 Thank chris44Texas
Gloucester, VA
Reviewed 8 October 2009

We stayed at the Canyon Villas timeshares in Sep 2009. The room that we occupied was a 1 bedroom unit. It was very spacious and very clean. It served our needs perfectly! One of the benefits that you get is being able to use the facilities at the neighboring J.W. Marriott Resort. The pools there were some of the best that I have had the pleasure of using. The fitness center is superb. Overall this was a great stay!

2 Thank granstra
NJ
Reviewed 27 September 2009

The Marriott Canyon Villas was a lovely resort in a serene setting and in an ideal location close to Interstate 101 and Tatum Road. There is a small shopping center across the way called Desert Ridge which also has an AMC Movie Theater and a few restaurants as well as Albertson's grocery store, a Ross Department Store, Marshall's and a Homegoods. There is an abundance of restaurants in Arizona. One of our favorites was Pita Jungle (for healthy meals) and RA Sushi located in Kierland as well as downtown Scottsdale which runs a box special lunch for $9. and a happy hour from 3 - 7 with 1/2 price drinks and appetizers. We went to Sassi Restaurant (upscale) which was very good but expensive.
The pool areas are lovely, not too crowded and some areas also have misters to keep you cool. There is a complimentary shuttle every 20 minutes to take you to the JW Marriott Desert Ridge where you can enjoy the busy 2 story lobby, spa, pools and Lazy RIver. Although the Lazy RIver was not crowded when we were there, the lobby was extremely busy with people coming and going as well as many conventions and meetings going on so it seemed noisy.
We really enjoyed the spaciousness of the Canyon Villas with a fully equipped kitchen that also had a hidden washer and dryer (so we were able to pack lightly), a nice size dining area, a large living room with a LG flat screen TV, a small and private balcony and a large master bedroom with comfortable King Marriott bed as well as another flat screen TV, a sink and tub off the bedroom and a bath with a large shower and another sink. We were in the 2800 building on the 3rd floor which was extremely convenient to the front lobby, exercise/weight room and pool area. Another nice feature they had was covered parking which is nice in the Arizona heat. It was 105 degrees during the day with no humidity but the inside of the car does get hot.
We saved $200 by renting a car from Hertz and picking it up directly at the hotel vs. the airport. There is a Hertz right at the JW Desert..

3 Thank Tranquillo
Seattle
Reviewed 24 September 2009

Attractive, large units that appear to be well maintained. You are able to use near by JW Marriott facilities. This property is on the northern end of the Phoenix area and therefore not close to very much (except a huge, mediocre shopping center called Desert Ridge).

Good alternative to a hotel, but don't expect a luxury resort.

Iowa
Reviewed 23 September 2009

We spent four days here and loved every day of it. Our only issue was not enough hot water but that was quickly fixed by the staff. We enjoyed this so much we ended up purchasing a time share at the Villas. Hope to get back soon.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 19 September 2009

Located near shopping mall and 101 Interstate Hwy, this resort is a great place to cool off from the heavy heat of AZ. When it's one of the best, I have few words because I just want to take advantage of what they offer - and that's dependability. I know my stay will be simply what I expected - wonderful.

2 Thank Mai-ImIt