“Not good at all”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Camelback East
Reviewed 4 June 2013

If ONLY I had read Trip Advisor first ...
I took a friend with whom I had been to France with some years ago, it was her birthday so I chose Au Petit Four because I thought it would be fun to have French food.
I asked the owner (?) for a wine list, he said all he had was rose. I have spent 35 years to-ing and fro-ing from France - have drunk gallons of rose over they ears - and never had anything like what he poured - it was dreadful, sweet, sticky, nasty. I have never had white zinfandel but imagine that is what he was trying to palm off on us.
After being polite for some moments I thought no, this is rubbish and asked if he might have a sauvignon blanc - anything dry. No, he had no SB. And this is a French restaurant? No Sancerre, no nothing?
He served a refrigerated red which - after it had warmed up it was not too bad - and for $9.50 a glass, I should hope not.
But it was the food that was spectacularly dull - and salad greens that had not been washed I am quite sure ...
The place is lacklustre, not that clean, things I would not even mention had the food been such a dud. I spent $50 and it was worth about $10. If that.

2  Thank YR R

Reviewed 18 March 2013

Revisiting an “old time” favorite.
It had not visited Au Petit Four since they moved Phoenix – 2501 East Camelback Road, Phoenix, AZ to Scottsdale – 7217 East 4th Avenue, Scottsdale, AZ (480)946-3834. The new location is more spacious; but not as attractive as the previous one. The food is the same. But it looks like Pierre and Catherine, the owners, are still trying to put some of their own touches to the place. The restaurant is located in Old Town Scottsdale, AZ. It really needs some sprucing up to make it more attractive. The service is slow; but expected when a final product is excellent. The restaurant is run by the family. Pierre does the baking, Catherine does the cooking, and their children serve the customers.
Pierre bakes goods are still as good as they have always been. In this visit I had the Quiche Lorraine which is one of my favorites. The crust was delicate, flaky, and buttery and melted in my mouth. The savory custard, and the combination of cheese and ham puts this quiche in competition with the best quiches I have had in the area. I chose a fruit salad for my side. The fruit salad was not the best. It was a combination of fresh berries, cubed melons, and canned fruits. I could have done with the fresh fruit only and forgo the extra canned ingredients. Au Petit Four makes one of the best omelettes in the area. The eggs are light and fluffy, and they offer seven variety of filling to satisfy every palate. My favorite, the ratatouille, the vegetable are cooked to perfection, crunchy, and freshly tasting. If you have the opportunity to visit this French café more than once, you must try their crepes. They offer 8 combinations of fillings. My favorites: the Ocean, a combination of smoked salmon, capers, sour cream and dill; and the Forest, a combination of béchamel sauce, spinach, mushrooms, and Swiss cheese. It is my favorite breakfast (8:00 am – 11:00 am, Monday – Saturday) place. They also serve lunch Monday-Saturday 9:00 am – 2:00 pm; brunch on Sundays 9:00 am – 2:00 pm; and, dinner Fridays and Saturdays 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm.
And what is trip to Au Petit Four without tasting one of Pierre’s wonderful pastries. I like everything he bakes; but here are some of my favorites: plain croissants – nothing added, almond croissants, pain au chocolate, and pain au raisin. Pierre bakes other things that are also excellent: napoleons, choux pastries – my favorite custard filled eclairs, etc.
I you are in the Old Town area of Scottsdale, AZ, please make it a point to visit this French café. You will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

This restaurant has a new location, in Scottsdale. I went there on a Saturday Morning with a friend and we had a wonderful breakfast of Crepes and pastries. I thought the food was wonderful and my friend who is a world traveler said the crepes were super. I took two types of Crossaints home with me and was very pleased with the texture and taste of them. Our only complaint is that they make coffee by the cup and it takes awhile to get a second cup.

Reviewed 24 January 2013

Went for breakfast. Coffee was weak and cream was cold skim milk. The raisin roll looked doughy, but it was the only pastry that didn't look like it had been in the display for days. It arrived warm, but so dry the weak coffee could not get it down. They had placed butter on the top and nuked it, but it did not help.

Husband had an omlette which was not bad, however, do not add salt or pepper. The shakers were all clogged. We asked for hotter coffee and heard the microwave. At least it was hot. The bill was $35 for crap. There are plenty of really good restaurarts in Scottsdale to eat here. Keep on walking.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

Took a group of tennis gals to the place last week. Upon entering, I got the willey's over the
grungy look of the place (we ate in the enclosed patio/pastry display case room). Wanted to
order the quiche, but from looking at it in the pastry case, it looked a couple days old so I ordered the 1/2 paninni w/salad as did most of the others. Actually, it was almost a full panini with a nice size salad with a fairly tasty mustard vinagrette, $6. Bread was crunchy how I like it. One ordered the Nicoise salad and said it was quite good.
But it was hard to get over the unkempt feel of the place and the bathroom really stunk. The worst part was when the owner/cook came by the table. Her apron was disgustingly dirty and looked to have been worn many days in a row. Maybe it's a French grunge thing, not sure, but I don't think I would return any time soon. BTW, went to Scratch Pastry (also French) a few blocks away for our desserts and that was a fun, hopping, busy (albeit small) place....AND way cleaner.