“If you want a New Orleans cafe, this is it”
Review of Baby Kay's Cajun Kitchen - CLOSED

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Neighbourhood: Camelback East
Neighbourhood: Camelback East
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Okay, they don't serve raw oysters or steamed crawfish, but as Joe E Brown once said "Nobody's perfect" Their gumbos are excellent, try the duck and andouille sausage, either as an appetizer or a whole meal. As appetizers go Lulu's Tabasco glazed wings are an inspiration. Their etouffee sauce is too good to just have it with Crawfish, I put it on my jambalaya. The red beans, rice and andouille sausage are good enought to have as an entree. The ramoulade and apricot habanero dressings are state of the art, as is their dirty rice. You can order most of there items elsewhere but you'll wish you'd gone to Baby Kay's. They have a full bar and Lousiana beer too.

1  Thank denisx

Reviewed 25 February 2013

And I can only judge based on what I ate: the Gumbo, the Jambalaya, and the Red Beans & Rice...so don't let any unkind words be too discouraging. That's only three items from Baby Kay's large menu. But they're three of cajun cookin's giant essentials...gotta get em' perfect to make this Southern boy a regular. The Gumbo's seafood option clearly has shrimp added 'too order'...which means that briny, fishy goodness isn't stewed all day into every drop of every soupy spoonful. I know making two whole batches each day(one with, one w/o seafood) is expensive, but it may be worth it. I won't even go into why it needs crab in-the-shell added, but the oversight of not adding okra- approaches sacrilegious! The jambalaya gets pluses for not coming swamped in a thick tomato sauce (whoever started that idea in Phoenix should be tarred!), but still, this was on the dry side. It clearly seemed like a Dirty Rice recipe with a few chicken and sausage chunks tossed in after the fact. Again, I understand it's economical, but the flavor suffers. The RedBeans&Rice was the most authentic of the three dishes I tried. When gas prices go down, I may come back for some catfish! Love the staff...very friendly.

Reviewed 19 February 2013

We love Cajun and because our baby girl's name is Kay we made the trip to Baby Kay's because we really wanted to try something different than what was closest to our hotel. Had the shrimp po boy and chicken gumbo...it was SPICY, but really really good. Enjoyed both items as well as a slice of sweet potato pie, yum! When we visit again Baby's Kay will be our spot to check out every time. Hopefully next time we will be able to eat-in because the music and crowd was really cool.

Reviewed 4 February 2013

Baby Kay's offers authentic Cajun food where you wouldn't expect to find it-- close to the Biltmore Resort in Phoenix. Try their Catfish with Crawfish sauce, seafood gumbo or po boys and you'll swear you've died and gone to heaven.

Reviewed 3 January 2013

Cajun food is not something you find often in Phoenix but Baby Kays does a great job. Put me in mind of New Orleans.