“Good food but service needs work.”
Review of La Fontanella - CLOSED

La Fontanella
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 23 December 2012 via mobile

First time visit to iconic La Fontanella tonight, with empty stomachs and high expectations. Service was quick to seat us, bring water and welcome us. Took three visits from waiter just to get him to take our app and wine order tho.

Bread and dipping oil arrived before app and bread was warm, soft and the seasoned olive oil was just right. Ordered the baked artichokes, caprese and anti-pasti plates for appetizers. All were prepared properly but somewhat one-note with lots of lower grade olive oil.

My dining mates ordered the mussels, the canneloni and the osso busco while I had the special: lobster ravioli. Each plated was served hot and was thoroughly enjoyed.

At that point, our server disappeared for over 3/4 hour, leaving us with empty plates, empty glasses and very little options. Dessert was offered but most of us failed to leave room. The total for dinner for four, three apps and a bottle of wine came to $205 including tip.

I would recommend La Fontanella but ask for the main dining room, lest you be forgotten.

Reviewed 15 December 2012

We went here for dinner last night with friends. We had been here many times before but not recently. Our friends had a coupon that allowed two dinners and a bottle of wine for $44 per couple, which is a great deal. We wanted to start off with a Cabernet Sauvignon, but there was none. We had to settle for a watery tasteless Merlot. But then, what can you expect for that price? We all had the salads, which were served with very good bread and an herb infused olive oil for dipping, which we all loved. My husband had the lasagna, our friends the cannelloni and chicken with spinach and mushrooms and I had the chicken parmigiana. The chicken dishes came with absolutely no accompaniment like some pasta or a vegetable, which I found strange. They all said theirs was good and we exchanged bites so we could try every entree. My chicken, however, tasted like it was microwaved and had a very strange, tough texture. I left most of it. When the waiter asked how everything was, my friend mentioned my chicken not being up to par and he proceeded to give us an argument and tell us the owners have been in business over 30 years. Um, excuse me, YOU asked how it was. If you really don't want to know, don't ask!
We ordered a tiramisu and a spumoni for dessert. All in all, a good meal with the exception of mine. It is obvious from the crowd that they have regulars who go there. I would probably return.

Reviewed 18 October 2012

It had been years since I had been there. At that time I was quite taken with my meal. A coup. seemed like the perfect opportunity to try it again. Unfortunately this time, we felt it was so-so.

Reviewed 17 October 2012

While not natives of Phoenix, we have dined here many times in the last 15 years- most recently in Sept. & Oct. 2012. In Sept. we visited with another couple and all 4 entrees were judged to be excellent as were our 2 in Oct..
We last reviewed it in 2010 and rated it as excellent then as we would now. Menu has many options and wine list is very good; service, as always has been first rate.
Will most certainly return.

Reviewed 14 October 2012

My office is down the street and in the old days La Fontenella was open for lunch. I was there at least three times a week most weeks. I started going there twenty-six years ago. It is always wonderful to see Isabella and Berto. (They give great tips on dining in Sicilly) The staff are the also a constant. It is really nice to have someone who knows where you want to sit and does't laugh if you ask for Veal Marsala - hold the veal. (I like the mushrooms and the wine sauce on my pasta.) Now it is only open at night....but the food is still excellant. My favorite meal starts with OD'ing on the great bread and herbed olive oil. Then the salad of roquefort cheese, walnuts and anchovies. (Not the little skinny little anchovies mind you!) Eggplant rollatini is one of my favorites and all the fish specials are excellant. The wines by the glass are unusally good. Who could leave without Berto's gelato? Sometimes I wonder if shouldn't just stop going to Italy when I can have such good right food here!