“Excellent Choices And Fiod”
Review of La Fontanella - CLOSED

La Fontanella
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

We have been looking for a good Italian restaurant for quite a while and finally found one. From seafood to spaghetti the meals were delicious. The pastas were fresh and cooked to perfection. The prices were a bit high which makes it a great choice for a special occasion. We will come back again and again.

There are newer reviews for La Fontanella

Reviewed 16 October 2013

My husband's family is Italian from Rochester, NY and we recently moved to Phoenix. My husband and I had been lamenting that we couldn't find an Italian restaurant that is authentic so I searched Yelp! to find one and came up with this gem. I'd been looking for a great restaurant to dine at while my brother-in-law was here on business so we decided to go, and also bring our teenagers. None of us were disappointed.

The place is a small yellow building--it's been in Scottsdale for 28 years now. It is not the most fancy street, neighborhood, etc., but when you walk in it feels nice, neat, clean and almost overdecorated, sort of has a living room feel like your at Mama's house, but elegant with pretty flowers and a pretty bar.

The staff is loyal, which says a lot. Our server has been there ten years, the other server that night has been there for 27 years. They don't write anything down--they don't need to. We found our servers helpful and friendly. The most promising sign was when I called for a reservation on a Thursday (recommended) and they didn't ask me to repeat or spell our Italian last name.

Good wines. Great bread and oil for the table. The antipasto plate "for two" teased the palate of all five of us. The server talked us down from ordering two, because he told us there would be enough and he was right. Husband had the chicken picatta, daughter and I had the lamb shank (a specialty of theirs), our son is a celiac and he had the salmon with cream sauce and a side of gluten-free pasta with alfredo (all of it gluten-free and delicious), brother-in-law had the sea bass. Everyone loved what they got.

Deserts are fresh and home-made. Canolis are enormous. The tiramisu is possibly the best we've ever had. They also have spumoni and gelato. I had a vanilla gelato completely covered in white chocolate and it was incredible. No one left hungry. It's a bit pricey, but special and worth it. We normally spend 18-30 per plate when it is just my husband and me, but with a big party it adds up. We didn't mind.

Dress in nice slacks and ladies, wear a skirt or whatever makes you feel a bit dressed up. Dress respectfully, but not stuffy, because the place is not stuffy--it has dignity. Other table filled up quickly and there were business parties, couples on double dates, grandparents with the grand kids, romantic couples. Anything goes, but it does feel old school and we liked it!

1  Thank Susan M
Reviewed 2 September 2013

One of the very best Italian restaurants in Phoenix. The menu is classic Italian, and the food is spectacular and consistant. Every employee has been there for years and makes you feel like you're coming home for dinner!

Try it, you won't regret it.

1  Thank Sharon M
Reviewed 25 June 2013

This place is gem and I was a guest at my birthday dinner. The service was impeccable and the food was very very good, except for mine. I order the Salmon with Sherry Sauce and the Salmon had that fishy taste and smell. I should have sent it back and I am sure they would have agreed but everyone was already served and I tasted all of their dishes, all were delicious. Just a bad choice on my part. When came time for the birthday dessert - I was served the Holy Gamoly of Canolli complete with a Sparkler. I will definitely be back and will be choosing one of their typical italian dishes for sure.

Reviewed 23 April 2013

This is our phoenix relatives farite restaurant. Everything was great. I had the best lamb chops. Find this restaurants coupon. Two dinners at $22 per person with each diner getting a salad, choice from a nice group of entrees, and one bottle of wine per couple. We had a good Cote de Rhone. Nice interior decor. In the center of the city, but adequite off street parking.