“Not my Favorite”

Dining options: Breakfast
Baton Rouge
“Not my Favorite”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

First off, let me say that I didn't know what a torta was before going to this place. Now I know that I'm not a big fan of tortas, so the restaurant is not really up my alley.

I'm not a health nut, but I do enjoy fresh ingredients and subtle food that seems reasonably wholesome. That is not what you will get here. I saw that Man vs. Food had done an episode here, which should have been a clue. He usually tackles the ridiculous-greasy-2-lb-monstrosity- burger when he goes somewhere. The torta I got was akin to his usual fare. I couldn't fit the whole thing in my mouth, and I have a big mouth. This is not usually a problem for me. I did manage to eat it with a fork and knife, and I did feel a little defeated. After finishing the torta, which came with Ruffles chips, I felt a little sick. I actually didn't finish the whole thing, which is also unusual for me, because I can eat a lot.

Other nit picks: I ordered a frozen margarita without salt, and I found it way too sweet and insufficiently limey. Also, no chips and salsa. I usually enjoy spoiling my appetite before my meal arrives on chips. Not so here. I got the huge torta and a plate full of Ruffles. Finally, it's a small thing, but they sat me in a room by myself behind the bar when the rest of the restaurant had plenty of people and open tables. I did feel a little shunned, and no one said goodbye to me on the way out. Maybe I was just sensitive by then.

OK, so this is not your fabulous dining experience. However, this kind of food is not really my thing. If you're looking for a sinful comfort food binge, you will definitely find it here, and you may think it's the best restaurant ever. Just know what you're getting yourself into.

• Visited September 2013

Brussels, Belgium
“countryside mexico simple but tasty food”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

It looks like a fast food joint but serves food like in villages in Mexico.
Excellent fruit-vegetable juices to go with the food as they have no alcohol license.

Hearty meal, quick and inexpensive and an opportunity to practice your Spanish.

• Visited September 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
“Authentic Mexican Food”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Saw this place on Man vs. Food. This is by far the best Mexican food that I have eaten in my 18 years in AZ. Went back a couple of times with friends since July. They have something for everyone and a wide range of beverages. I go to the location on Indian School Rd, but there is one N. Phoenix & also Tempe.

• Visited August 2013
Flagstaff, Arizona, United States
“Amazing torta!”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I had the Alambre de pollo o res torta. I'm more than a little picky, but I decided to try something different for a change, and it was absolutely delicious! So far the very best meal I've Phoenix! The staff was friendly and the service was unbelievably fast. Definitely going to make this a regular stop!

• Visited August 2013
Casa Grande, Arizona
“best "torta" ever....period”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

had the carne asada torta, every freakin' bite of the torta was mouthwatering...man was i surprised with the quality and taste of the torta, best ever that i have eaten.the kids cheese crisp was very good also....plus they have a array of drinks to choose from, adult drinks also.

• Visited July 2013