“Challanging, but this is a "must do" ;)”

Echo Canyon Trail and Recreation Area
Ranked #17 of 229 things to do in Phoenix
Waikoloa, Hawaii
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Challanging, but this is a "must do" ;)”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We went to the Echo Canyon Summit Trail in Camelback Mountain, Phoenix. The parking lot was nearly full regardless it was a Monday morning. So: this is a very popular trail. The trail starts with an easy walk up to mountain, and there is a point, when the trail turns into a very challanging hike. You can stop at this point and turn back, or you can challange yourself and go on... It is a very rocky trail, you have to climb a lot (almost the entire trail). You "must" have a very good HIKING shoe / boot, and take PLENTY of water (2 L camelback is a must!). This trail is marked as an "extremly difficult" trail and it's true, but this is almost the most beautiful trail in Phoenix. The last part of the trail is the hardest - very hard rock climbing! Keep in mind: it is not enough just climb up.... you have to come down too! If you have knee of ankle pain - don't climb up of be very careful - take your time! It took us 2,5 hours to climb up and 1.5 hours to come down. We went up to the very top - the view is gorgeous ;)
Restroom and water is only at the trailhead!

Visited April 2014
6 Thank CsillaP

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Must do ”
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

This was a good challenge for me
Not easy but u can do it
Must if u in the area
Take plenty of water !!!
Better go early
We notice rattle snake do be careful

1 Thank planotexas1
Irvine, California
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Don't park, walk”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We stayed at montelucia resort so we were able to walk to the trail head. We went on a Wednesday morning. Don't people work? The parking lot was full and a line to park. So glad we walked. We didn't have time to walk to the summit but definitely will next time. It was more if a investigation trip for us. Beautiful views from everywhere. Must do

2 Thank glass_half_full_10
Saint Louis, Missouri
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Hike and rock climb up Camelback Mountain”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This is a challenging climb for a fit middle aged mom. I was up for the challenge. I was glad to have hiking shoes, as others mentioned. I also had a belt for my water bottle, which made it easy to have both hands free for climbing, which I found essential. It took me a little over 2 hours to go up and down the mountain. The volume of people going up increased greatly after 5 p.m. The panoramic view from the top is spectacular!

2 Thank Lisa B
Illinois
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Great fun”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

See my review under camel back mountain...I didn't realize there would be a different section for the echo canyon side!! Basically it was tough, a little steeper than we thought it would be, I didn't think I could do it but I did and it wasn't as bad coming down as I thought it would be....and Please don't be stupid and make the rescuers come rescue you, heed the warning and don't be a dummy.

1 Thank SnewpeaB