“A really pleasant hotel in every respect, Hilton at its best...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Phoenix North Happy Valley

Hilton Garden Inn Phoenix North Happy Valley
Ranked #38 of 173 Hotels in Phoenix
Canada
“A really pleasant hotel in every respect, Hilton at its best...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2011

I've now stayed at this hotel about a half a dozen times. It's very close to Phoenix Deer Valley Airport (only about a 5 minute drive away), and also very close to the big Honeywell facility.

This is a relatively new Hilton Garden Inn, and in every respect, it exceeds the brand standards one would expect from a Hilton. The staff are pleasant, the rooms are clean and large, the internet is fast and free, and the hotel is nice and quiet - it is well set back from the nearby streets, and exactly 90 degrees off-axis to the nearby airport runways, so you never hear the planes. All in all, a very attractive, well maintained, and pleasant hotel.

This is one of the most reliable Hilton hotels I have stayed at so far as maintaining Hilton brand standards is concerned. I highly recommend it to other business travellers.

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of the halls are a bit quieter than the others.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Tucson, AZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2011

Two-day business stay. Very new hotel and very clean. Limited restaurant offering and very few options within the general area. Hotel is in an area targeted for growth, so should become more attractive in the near future.

• Stayed February 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

I have been a Hilton Honors member for a looong time. Granted, I don't travel frequently enough to be one of their uppity-ups, I usually get free bottles of water when I check in. Not this time.
When my family and I arrived in Phoenix, it was very late, so sleep was the only thing on our minds. In the morning, my daughter was "starving" so we headed to the lobby where I was informed that breakfast was an additional charge. Huh? Since when? Not that paying for her breakfast was any sort of issue, however, as an Honors Member (Silver) I haven't paid for a meal in a Hilton in ages. When I asked if they had my number on file I was politely told no, so up to my room I went to retrieve my card. When I returned to the desk, the young lady explained that I was now Blue (not Silver) and had no more points. No breakfast for us! Bummer. And no bottled water either :( LOL. Shame on Hilton for not telling me that they took away my points. And my color.
Coming from the DC area, I knew that the heat would fry me like an egg, so it was off to run on the treadmill in the exercise room. Well "room" is an overstatement. It is an exercise closet with NO air movement at all. Half the time that we stayed there (6 days) there were a bunch of teenagers from a sports team that used it as a place to watch TV. I didn't even bother complaining, I pick my battles.
The only thing that we really couldn't get used to was the water. Have you ever tried to rinse the water off of the water that's on your skin? You will at the Hilton. It's the water softener. What a nightmare. Shampoo bottles flying everywhere because they were "slickery"... Skin that doesn't feel clean... I will take hard water any day, thank you very much.
As for the rest of it, it was ok. The hotel is a stone's throw from a nice area, and a breath from the eh, not so nice area. I didn't use the hotel pool or hot tub because my parents have a better one :) Oh, and one of the teenagers had a nasty open sore on her arm and was headed to the pool. ICK! The hotel was clean and the staff was nice, but there are no real "extras" here.

Room Tip: There are four floors, ask for one on the top.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend getaway for our anniversary. We live in the Phoenix area and were doing a sunrise hot air ballon ride in this part of Phoenix, so we decided to make a weekend out of it.

The hotel was nice, the room was clean and looks just like the pics on here. The bed was comfortable. We had a king bed in our room. There was also a desk/desk chair, arm chair w/ foot stool, microwave, small refrig, and flat panel TV. The bathroom was roomy, there is no tub (ok with me), and the shower is tiled in with a glass door. There was only one odd thing about the bathroom, the toilet paper holder was located under the sink (mounted there), so you had to lean over and look for them. It was just very odd spot. I guess they did it to not put a hole in the granite sink.

The pool area is small, but adequate. The pool is heated. They do have a restaurant on site, but we didn't eat there. There is a nice little patio area with a gas fire place also. Good for sitting outside in the evening. The fitness room had nicer equipment in it. We didn't use the business center, but it looked adequate. They do have free wifi.

The staff we friendly, however we did have one issue. We booked our first night on Expedia, then added two additional nights (through Expedia again) for a total of 3 nights. We asked on checkin to make sure they were all linked so we didn't have to check in and out or move rooms. We checked in around 6p for the first night and that person said that it was taken care of, but check with the front desk in the morning. I spoke with the front desk the next morning, and we weren't linked. They had to issue us new keys and said we were taken care of. The next day, we were locked out of our room and had to visit the front desk again and ended up with yet another set of keys. They said they had called us to leave us a msg, to let us know, but there was no msg. Plus it should have already been taken care one of the other two times we spoke with them about it. They were very friendly the whole time, it was just a minor inconvenience that should have been pretty simple to take care of in the first place.

The hotel seems like it's in the middle of nothing, but there are tons of places to eat very close. Also a nice outdoor mall with a movie theater. Overall we enjoyed our weekend and would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mikayla73
Cary, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2011

We got in late on our way up to the Grand Canyon from PHX. The reception staff was very friendly, the hotel clean and new with very nice, comfortable beds. The rate for a Saturday night was very reasonable, and we added the B&B rate for a great value over the paying for the hot cooked to order breakfast the next morning with very friendly staff. The location although not the best probably being more business oriented was on a couple of miles from many shops and restaurants at the next exit north on I17. Better than average fitness center. Very short stay but we found it met/exceeded expectations at a good value.

Room Tip: B&B rate gives good discount on hot breakfast
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank gm4pack
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2011

Clean, friendly hotel. Good for business or families. We couldn't find anything for the price we actually wanted to pay in the area so we went a little higher and got a room here. Needless to say, for the price it was everything it was cracked up to be. We wanted to be in the area to be close to a friend. If you want to be close to downtown Phoenix, this is not a good location. Our room was near the elevator so we heard the bell all night long, but otherwise it's a very quiet place. Nice pool and hot tub. Didn't try the food. For an awesome breakfast go to Matt's Big Breakfast downtown - INDESCRIBABLY good food, mostly locavore!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ootanaboot
Opelika, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2011

I had reservations for four rooms for the national championship game. Several weeks before the game, they called and cancelled my reservations. They said it was a glitch in thier system and they had to cancel ALL of my rooms. Don't think if you have a reservation that it means anything at this hotel. They did offer to help me find another place to stay...(by giving me a list of local hotels)! By that time, there were few rooms available anywhere in Phoenix.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends