I booked my room through Priceline and got a great rate, but the hotel was billed as at 3.5 star. I'm not sure I'd give it that extra half.
The lobby is gorgeous, and it puts on a very pretty face.
Unfortunately, if you scratch a little below the surface you find some not so great things.
Overall, this was a good hotel, but my expectations at the time of booking were not met.
I had requested a King room when booking, and even checked in the day before to confirm and ask for early check in at noon. When I arrived, I was told that I was booked into a 2 Queen room and that they didn't have a king room clean. I asked how long it would be, and that woman at the desk said it should be just a while longer..after noon. I had 30 minutes, so I asked her if I could wait in the bar and have a drink, then check in at noon. She said yes. But I sat in the bar for a full 10 minutes before realizing that it was not open/not staffed, and that was not going to change at that hour in the day. It would have been great to be told.
I checked back in at 12:45 to learn that there was still not at king room available. Tired and wanting to just have a place to relax, I took the 2 Queen room. It was clean and had everything you could want, but was dark, and felt small and overcrowded. The paint was chipping on my bathroom door and the toilet paper holder was loose in the wall. There was a lovely cabinet in the vanity room for me to hand my clothes, but the space was not large enough to accommodate myself, the cabinet and my suitcase all at one time.
The service was spotty. My room was cleaned daily, and my used towels taken away..but no new towels were left. I was there for 3 days, and my towels were never replenished.
The pool was completely in the shade 24/7, so really wasn't of any use at all.
The elevators were so obviously old that I was a little scared every time I stepped into one.
The walls were thin, and I was woken every morning by other guests in the hall leaving for daily activities.
I just felt that the hotel misrepresented itself, and had I had realistic expectations, I would not have been so disappointed. It was just very much an old hotel with a little spit polish.
The saving grace to this trip was the evening Navigator (Renaissance Concierge) whose name was Ivy. He was FANTASTIC!!!! He found me a great trip to the Grand Canyon, calling two companies to find me space. He advised me on how to get out to Scottsdale the following day for a Giants spring training game, and when I could not reach my cab to return, he called around to find me a taxi at an affordable rate to get back. Not an easy task on St. Patrick's day! I cannot say enough good things about him. I wish I could review him and give him 5 stars.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy an artful and memorable urban retreat when you book a stay at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel. We offer easy access to some of the city's finest attractions, including the Talking Stick Resort Arena (home of the Phoenix Suns), Chase Field (home of the Arizona Diamondbacks), Phoenix Zoo, Orpheum Theatre and Heard Museum. Plus, Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX) is just 4 miles from our front doors. Guest rooms at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel feature stylish decor, luxurious bedding, LCD TVs, premium bath amenities and spectacular cityscape views. Enjoy fine dining at our celebrated restaurants, and stay in shape at our state-of-the-art fitness center and heated rooftop pool. Discover style and comfort at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel. Please note that valet parking for the hotel costs $32 per night. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo and Expedia so you can book your Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel Phoenix
- Wyndham Phoenix
- Phoenix Wyndham
- Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel Arizona