“Swank”

Ranked #13 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
New York City, New York
“Swank”
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I stayed here for one night on business, I was surprised by the hotel. I have never stayed at a Renaissance property and this was a really nice hotel. Close to restaurants and a short walk to the US Airways Center for the Suns game. I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MJL395
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Hello MJL395 - Surprise and delight - that's our motto! Glad we surprised you in such a fantastic way!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Lehi, Utah
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Stayed for a week on business and enjoyed the stay quite extensively. Parking is a nightmare whether you try to park on the street or pay exorbitant parking fees, but the hotel itself was a great experience all around. The room was very comfortable and all the amenities were exactly what I needed.

Room Tip: It seemed that the only way to park was to utilize the valet parking service. Didn't realize yo...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Matt M
Hi Matt, we're so pleased you enjoyed your week with us - hurry back!
North Carolina
Reviewed 29 March 2012

This place used to be a Wyndham Hotel IIRC, and is now a Renaissance. So far, so good. Nice location, close to offices, civic center, sports complexes, etc., with a reasonable amount of bars and restaurants close by. Also adjacent to the light rail system, which offers a convenient connection to a bus that takes you to Sky Harbor. Check in was fast and painless, and the room was standard Renaissance (that's a good thing). A solid option if downtown Phoenix is your destination.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Dorkus
Thanks for the kudos! We are in the perfect location for enjoying all that downtown Phoenix has to offer. Our Ambassadors will help navigate you to all the cool things to do and places to go!
vancouver
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We required 2 nights accomodation in Phoenix during a very busy time.Unable to get something in Goodyear we opted to stay downtown.We wre able to get a room at the Renaissance.The staff at check in were extremely welcoming and accomodating.Seeing we had 5 in our family they gave us a large corner suite that turned out to be just fantastic.Beds were comfortable,coffee maker in the room was very good.Fridge was usefull .Pool and work out facilities were excellent.For the price you will not go wrong staying here.Walking distance to many interesting venues and light rail right across the street.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and quieter.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Thanks for staying with us at the Renaissance Phoenix Downtown!
It's wonderful to read that you had such a delightful experience, and we look forward to seeing you again!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Pretty rooms, delicious breakfast, and absolutely loony service some of the time, but I'd still stand by my "excellent" raiting. I love that the windows open!

Room Tip: Any rooms should be fine.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank dianaholbert
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Greetings dianaholbert ~

We are absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us! And how cool that our windows open! We are the only hotel downtown with that fantastic feature - let the fresh air in! We look forward to your next stay with us!
Clearwater, FL
Reviewed 24 March 2012

My recent stay was very nice - the room was clean and spacious. Loved having the wardrobe in the bathroom - for business travel it was perfect!! Had a quiet room and a nice view on the 17th floor. Staff was very friendly even when there were two major groups staying at the hotel so it was full. The only problems were my toilet dripped, but I just shut the bathroom door in the evening so I could sleep. I did not have time to call in and report it.
Not a lot of things to do downtown, but had a nice dinner at the Chevront Restaurant. The hotel terrace on the 5th floor was pretty cool.

Room Tip: Ask for a high view - enjoyed the 17 floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Greetings CMEWALK ~
Thanks so much for your great review of our wonderful hotel! We have a very knowledgeable Navigator team who can tell you where all the cool things are to do downtown. Live theatre, music venues, indigenous restaurants with locally grown fare - the list goes on! We look forward to your next stay with us!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I booked my room through Priceline and got a great rate, but the hotel was billed as at 3.5 star. I'm not sure I'd give it that extra half.

The lobby is gorgeous, and it puts on a very pretty face.
Unfortunately, if you scratch a little below the surface you find some not so great things.

Overall, this was a good hotel, but my expectations at the time of booking were not met.
I had requested a King room when booking, and even checked in the day before to confirm and ask for early check in at noon. When I arrived, I was told that I was booked into a 2 Queen room and that they didn't have a king room clean. I asked how long it would be, and that woman at the desk said it should be just a while longer..after noon. I had 30 minutes, so I asked her if I could wait in the bar and have a drink, then check in at noon. She said yes. But I sat in the bar for a full 10 minutes before realizing that it was not open/not staffed, and that was not going to change at that hour in the day. It would have been great to be told.

I checked back in at 12:45 to learn that there was still not at king room available. Tired and wanting to just have a place to relax, I took the 2 Queen room. It was clean and had everything you could want, but was dark, and felt small and overcrowded. The paint was chipping on my bathroom door and the toilet paper holder was loose in the wall. There was a lovely cabinet in the vanity room for me to hand my clothes, but the space was not large enough to accommodate myself, the cabinet and my suitcase all at one time.

The service was spotty. My room was cleaned daily, and my used towels taken away..but no new towels were left. I was there for 3 days, and my towels were never replenished.

The pool was completely in the shade 24/7, so really wasn't of any use at all.

The elevators were so obviously old that I was a little scared every time I stepped into one.

The walls were thin, and I was woken every morning by other guests in the hall leaving for daily activities.

I just felt that the hotel misrepresented itself, and had I had realistic expectations, I would not have been so disappointed. It was just very much an old hotel with a little spit polish.

The saving grace to this trip was the evening Navigator (Renaissance Concierge) whose name was Ivy. He was FANTASTIC!!!! He found me a great trip to the Grand Canyon, calling two companies to find me space. He advised me on how to get out to Scottsdale the following day for a Giants spring training game, and when I could not reach my cab to return, he called around to find me a taxi at an affordable rate to get back. Not an easy task on St. Patrick's day! I cannot say enough good things about him. I wish I could review him and give him 5 stars.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Shavon B
Hello Sharon B, thanks for staying with us! It's great that our Chief Navigator, Ivy, was able to give you such wonderful tips on what to see and do while in the Phoenix area. I'm sorry that you experienced some difficulties while here, and we have most certainly taken steps to correct these issues. It is our goal to provide excellent customer service at all times, and we are grateful for the opportunity to improve. We are only 3 months old and our growing pains sometimes show themselves. We hope you will consider staying with us again!