“I would have given it a 5 star except that they do not recognize elite member needs”

Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel
Ranked #16 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Stayed for a week at this property. With the exception of the front desk staff not accommodating my request for a quiet room and executive floor preference, the executive lounge staff, housekeeping, concierge, and other employees were the best Marriott employees I have encountered. thanks especially to Pamela in the Executive Lounge!

Without this experience with the support staff and the location of the property in relation to my meeting, I honestly would have left the hotel the first night due to the failure of this property to honor my simple request for a quiet room and location on the executive floor (I am Marriott Gold and have been since 2002). When I checked in, was told nothing was available and requested to be moved should something become available. The front desk person did not even acknowledge this request while I was checking in. I presume this is due to instructions that a specific member rate (somewhat discounted from the rack rate) means that, despite my status, I was to be placed "wherever" despite my request and profile.

During my stay, it was readily apparent and confirmed by housekeeping that the executive floor was in fact not full and so I cannot say with confidence that they really illustrated a desire to meet my expectations and my requests - perhaps for the economic reason(s) I indicated above.

On the plus side, the executive lounge customer service and choice of beverages and "meals" offered by this Renaissance was the absolutely - by far - best I have encountered for this Brand.

Room Tip: If you are light sleeper ask for a room facing north and as high as possible and AWAY from N Central...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

First and foremost, please accept our apology. Every experience you have while in our care should be as wonderful as the one you described while in our concierge lounge, Elevate. We are at this moment, looking into the situation surrounding your request for a room change. Should you want to speak to someone on property, our Director of Operations, Rooms is happy to talk to you. Jacob Wright 602-333-5131. Thank you for your loyalty to Marriott and we sincerely hope you'll give us another opportunity to WOW you as you should have been.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed last December and found the hotel to be very nice and modern, excellent staff very friendly, helpful and knowledgable. The location is great too as we went to the US Airways Arena a couple of times and also the Herberger Theatre both within walking distance.
My only negative would be the Fedex office and the outrageous charges for storing a few packages, $25.00 for an envelope, my total was well over $100.00 defeated the whole point of saving by shopping online.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

We're so glad you chose us for your stay while in Phoenix! Our location is indeed perfect for all things 'downtown'! Music, sports, theatre, comedy clubs, night clubs - and the list goes on! Please come back!

Reviewed 11 April 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at the Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel for a work trip. I had extraordinary service, especially in the form of Renault at the front desk. He made me feel welcome and greeted me every time I walked by. My room was spectacular and the meeting rooms were very comfortable.

1  Thank Amanda C
Marty R, Executve Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

We are delighted that you enjoyed such a wonderful stay at our hotel. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 9 April 2014

I attended a meeting with 2 other colleagues last weekend. This was a wonderful setting for the meeting. The food service was outstanding and all of the staff were friendly and attentive.
The meeting room was comfortable (not too cold) with good acoustics.

The Navigator was so helpful and friendly, and directed us to a great restaurant. Kudos!!

The Desk staff also was helpful in arranging transportation when needed.

I would return to this hotel without hestitation.

Room Tip: My room overlooked the 5th floor terrace. There was a wedding reception one night, but the music was...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Thanks for taking the time to write a review about our great property! I'm delighted you enjoyed your time with us when you were here for a meeting. We certainly hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We attended an event at the Comerica Theater and stayed at the Renaissance because it was nearby. All of the staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was very comfortable. The sink area in the bathroom was roomy so we could both use it at the same time. We had an delicious evening meal of burgers and happy hour wine at the Icon Lounge. Rhonda, our server, is a gem - very attentive, helpful and delightful.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank martaz409

Thank you for this great review! Rhonda has been at this property for 38 years, and really knows how to help you enjoy your time at ICON! She has incredible stories to share - be sure to get her going next time you're with us!

Reviewed 2 April 2014

The last couple of years I have stayed in quite a few Marriott hotels thanks to ongoing conferences, and this weekend was the best experience I had. The room was clean and smelled fresh, the air conditioning was quiet, the bed was comfortable (well, as comfortable as one would expect!) and even though the hallways scream 1960s, I even liked the low ceilings because I've never felt so tall. ;)

The staff though is the true gem of this hotel. Every time I asked for something, it was dealt with immediately - I never had to ask twice, and I never got to the point of looking around wondering where someone else was to ask my request of again. They were genuinely friendly, and seemed happy to help rather than that "I've been told to be cheerful by my boss" happy you often see.

From the front desk, to the concierge, to the gift shop, to the cleaning staff, to the chef (who I didn't meet but who was sweet enough to share a recipe with me when asked!) ... I was delighted with the reception I received.

Also, the food served at our meetings was amazing. I mean, I love southwestern foods so that helped, but really I am afraid to get on the scale due to how much I ate.

My only complaint was that they only carry Pepsi products - and I'm sorry but a rum & pepsi just doesn't go down the way rum & coke does.

Room Tip: Fifth floor is the floor with the pool etc, so not sure you'd want to be on that floor or right...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Thanks for your wonderful review of our property and our Ambassadors! I'm delighted that you were able to experience the best staff in the industry! We sure hope you return soon!

Reviewed 1 April 2014

This hotel has nice rooms and a friendly staff. There is a nice pool area and large patio to hang out in the sun. It is near a number of decent restaurants. Very easy to get a cab or on the light rail. The lobby bar has decent food and inexpensive drinks. Had a very good experience here.

Room Tip: All of the rooms seemed to be pretty similar. I was there with many friends for a festival and enter...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank SiriusSkier23
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Thanks for your review of our wonderful hotel! I'm delighted you enjoyed your time with us, and we sure hope you'll stay with us again!