“Our new favorite hotel in Phoenix”

Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel
Ranked #14 of 173 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I travel to PHX multiple times a month for business and family. We've been looking for a "home" away from home and have spent many nights in many different hotels in the surrounding area. This week we spent it in the Renaissance downtown Phoenix. And have found the "home" we've been looking for!! Everyone is so friendly and made us feel like VIPs. Bernard at the front desk was so welcoming and accomodating to our needs. I was eating lunch in the lobby, before running to a meeting and someone saw me without water and asked if I would like water. The valets were courteous and friendly. I could go on and on with examples. It is centrally located downtown surrounded by many places to eat and things to do. The hotel is decorated beautifully. The decor is modern yet homey. It was a delightful three days and we look forward to coming back!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Colleen L
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

WOW! We are so happy that we are your new favorite hotel in Phoenix! We try hard to have every single guest feel that way. Our Ambassadors are genuinely caring and sincerely want you feel comfortable when you're travelling away from home. Thank you for your loyalty!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Smooth transition from the parking garage to the check in desk. My wife and I had Bernard Brayton check us in. Once again, no issues. So we proceeded to our room on the 9th floor. stepped out of the elevator and a major renovation!! The last time we were here, the hall looked so small and old. Now the hall looked more spacious! We entered our room and were very surprised. The Renaissance remembered our anniversary. The front desk upgraded my wife and I to a suite with a view!. 20 minutes later, there was a knock at the door. I peeped through the peephole and there was a gentleman on the otherside of the door with a bucket of champagne, flutes, and strawberries covered in Chocolate!! We have stayed here many times previously, however we were in awe of how we were treated. Beware.. Hotel Palomar, and Hotel San Carlos. We've stayed in your "digs" also, but by far the customer service at the Renaissance was outstanding!! Plan on coming back soon!!!!

Room Tip: Never had an issue with any stays from the past.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Congratulations on your anniversary! Bernard is spectacular! And you noticed the newly renovated corridors - we'll be finished with every floor by the end of September. Thanks for your loyalty, we sincerely appreciate it! Can't wait to see you again!

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

When I first came to this hotel I was a little surprised at how the exterior looked. The building appeared to be older stucco with arches on all the guest room windows. It wasn't very appealing or modern looking from the outside however, the interior was wonderful.

Lobby: the lobby was beautifully decorated in a very classy and artistic style. The artwork that was displayed throughout looked like it could have been local art. I did notice that there was fresh cold citrus water available throughout the day. The seating in the lobby was extremely comfortable and very tastefully accessorized with coordinating pillows. There is a bar that serves evening meals and variety of drinks. It is very inviting. Several tables have wooden games available while you eat or drink. I had the roasted chicken enchiladas with guacamole. It was more than I could eat in one sitting. It was wonderful, but I had to get used to pomegranate seeds in the guacamole.They do you have a large monitor that will help you find anything from dining to tourist attractions, etc. Given all this, I have to say the most important and best part of the lobby is the staff.

Staff: The staff at the front door were very courteous and kind. As soon as I walked into the lobby, the staff members were more than happy to help me with anything I needed during the check in process. Immediately I was handed a bottle of water, and taken to the front counter. The front counter staff were very kind and helpful. They explained everything to me about the hotel and the local area and even provided me with a map although I did not ask. They were not overbearing. On one occasion I had hurt my foot and it was too late to go to the drugstore to get a bandaid, the night time desk clerk told me she would get me some band aids and some antiseptic to get me through the night, which she did. When I first arrived to my room the television was not working, and within 10 minutes an engineer was replacing my television. I also got a call from the front desk to make sure that he had done just that. The concierge had wonderful suggestions as far as a place to eat, he even recommended what I should order and a drink that was named after the hotel. He was so incredibly kind. In the morning I was running late and another staff member approached me and asked me if there was anything she could do for me . I told her that I had noticed the restaurant was really full and I was running late. She talked to the manager at the restaurant in the short time they had brought me some breakfast wrapped up to go, and it was delicious. The thing I have to say about the staff is you don't actually know that some of them are staff members. Most of them are in regular clothing, not uniforms and are so helpful and kind. I stayed at many hotels and I have to say the staff members at this hotel are the best. There's also the cleaning staff. My biggest problem is I never get enough towels or shampoo etc that was not the case here. I had more than enough plush towels and washcloths, the products they used here were Aveda, which I like, and when I used an item, they would leave that item out but also replenish me with a new one, like soap or shampoo. This is great for me because with this heat in Arizona I shower often and needed every bit of shampoo I could get .

Room/Summary:
I'm doing this review from my smartphone so I hope it's smart enough not to insert words that I didn't mean to type in this review.
I would definitely say that you can't go wrong at this hotel. I haven't seen any other rooms, just the one that I stayed in on the 9th floor and it was quiet, I didn't hear any of my neighbors. The room had a safe that actually worked and a small refrigerator. The room itself was tastefully decorated. You could tell this room was renovated and if you really looked you could see some of the old parts of the room underneath some of the renovated parts. This did not take from the room at all. The arched windows had window shades and blackout curtains that pulled down from the top. The window also had seating which was very nice, although the view wasn't that great. It also doubles as a place to put your suitcase or at least that's what I used it for. The bathroom was nice because it was definitely separated from the area where the sink is. I appreciate that. The wardrobe is in the bathroom as well, which is a little unusual but it works. I really like the desk because it had all of the outlets right on the desk itself. By this I mean not only did it have power outlets but it had all the components that you needed to plug into if you wanted to use it with your television, such as cameras, computers etc..., there was no fumbling behind the television. The drawers are nice and large and had leather straps fordrawer pulls. All in all I have to say this Hotel really did surprise me. When I looked at the hotel from the website photos I was not impressed by the exterior and I was a little embarrassed when I was dropped off at this hotel because of it, but I have to say you really cannot judge a book by its cover because this hotel had incredible service, was nicely decorated and I can honestly say that the next time I'm in downtown Phoenix, this will be the hotel that I stay at. Actually, I have to say that it was the service I received at the hotel which will bring me back again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Omiyoshibaba

Our exterior has been charmingly referred to as a cheesegrater. The windows are arched (and by the way, are the only operational windows in any hotel downtown!) and they have a flared cover which helps shade the room! It's really very retro and cool! Thanks for your kind words about the newly renovated interior - we have just added safes and mini fridges to every room, and will be finished in September with the renovation of each guest room floor.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Jesse the concierge was the absolute best. He was very friendly and knowledgable. Knew all about the area and history around. Make sure you ask him for tips on what to see and do, he'll be sure to have some great ideas. The rooms themselves were also very nice, big and spacious. Can't wait to come back and visit.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Our Navigators (concierge) know downtown Phoenix better than anyone! Jesse certainly knows his way around and along with all our Navigators, is able to introduce you to interesting, intriguing and indigenous options that you won't soon forget!

Reviewed 1 August 2014

If you are going to a concert or event at the US Airways Center… this hotel is just a block or two from the venue!! I loved being able to valet my car & not touch it again until after my trip! The rooms are clean & comfortable. The staff is amazing & so kind! We will definitely book this place again & again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Yep, our location is absolutely perfect when you're in town for a concert or sporting event! And the restaurants downtown are fantastic, as is the night life. Thanks for staying with us!

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Terrific location close to the Convention Center, Chase Field and U.S. Airways Center.

The hotel is undergoing renovation and my remodeled room was lovely, clean, modern and quiet. Gym is small but has excellent, new equipment. Pool is little with a lovely patio adjacent.

The hotel staff was terrific - - a special shout out to Kate (the Great!) at the Front Desk for her kindness.

Once all of the upgrades are in place, this hotel will no doubt go from wonderful to excellent!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Our current round of renovations should be complete by the end of September - we have had some fantastic additions! Safes and mini fridges in every guest room, and all the guest corridors have been redone from the ceiling tiles to the beautiful new carpet! State of the art door locks too! Can't wait for you to come back and check it all out! Thanks so much!

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Recently attended a convention and choose the Renaissance due to it's location. There was a slight "hiccup" with the reservation, but it was resolved immediately and my room cost was adjusted as a courtesy. We were even given a bottle of water when we checked in to help beat the AZ heat. The room was beautiful and clean. Enjoyed a drink at the bar before bed one night, drink prices were reasonable. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

So glad to hear you'll be coming back! Those words are music to our ears!