“This is a holiday inn??”

Holiday Inn & Suites Phoenix Airport North
Ranked #48 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Chandler, Arizona
“This is a holiday inn??”
Reviewed 24 February 2013 via mobile

I usually stick to four stars and above, but my wretched roommate was have "friends" over and I needed a crash pad. Booked blindly on Priceline and when this came up I was actually a little excited because I knew I used to be an embassy suites. The area is very questionable, but that's pretty much any airport hotel on or around 44th street. Front desk has some real opportunity for customer service improvements. My check in was really lame, the girl had zero personality. She didn't say how much was being authorized, the fact I'd booked through a third party and room and tax was paid for. Having worked 10 years in hospitality this is stuff I don't care to hear because I already know, but other guests may not, so when it's not conveyed it is a concern. The property is very nice. I had hoped to make use of the fire pits and patio, but they're very popular. The lobby bar looked really cool and had awesome drink specials, like $3 bloody Mary's on the weekends. My room was very nice. I had read here that the property climate system sucks and you get hot or cold, but not both. This time of year it worked to just keep my balcony door open, but it was kind of annoying I couldn't use the a/c. Bathroom is very small. Very. And if you have anyone in the living area, forget privacy if they need to potty. Ultimately, I was very impressed and would be delighted to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank jclark702

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I last stayed at this hotel from February 13th to February 15th, 2013. While I received good check-in service from the new young Indian woman on duty in the evening, all I can remember is how cold the room that I stayed in, 222, was for the two nights I was there. I called the front desk, at 8:00PM on the first night, but they said that they had just turned the heat on? The heating registers in the room were cold to the touch my entire stay, even though I set the themperature at 80. I had to sleep with my clothes on and wore baseball cap. Same situation the second night with friends asking why I didn't turn the heat up?

The linen was new and fresh. Hot water temperature was spotty as one usually has to wait for the hot water in the late evening and AM. The bed was comfortable and the new flat screen TV's in each room were very nice. I had friends stop by and they watched the other TV while I got ready to go out in the bedroom area. The room had a refrigerator and a microwave in a bar area which is nice when you have medicine that must be kept cold. I was able to hook up to the internet without any problems. Parking wasn't a problem but one should park where they can see their car from their room. I have stayed at this hotel in the past "only" because it is a priceline assignment. I would not pick it because "Its always something".
I stopped going to the hotel kitchen/bar area because of the slow/indifferent service on past stays.
The staff seems to change often.
The hotel is not far from the airport and they have a shuttle service.
Be careful walking around the area as I would call the neigbhorhood in "Transition". There is a CVS within walking distance. Sears, Target, Frys, Costo are further down on 44Th street.
This place touted as a three star holel but with the uneven service and facility issues, I would rate it 2 stars on its good days. They seem to miss the point on too many occasions. How can you enjoy you stay when you are cold. I know its AZ and usually warm but a little heat goes a long way on a cold night. With the right management, this could easily be a 3+ star place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room faceing the back to avoid the traffic noise on 44th Street
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Trent C, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Phoenix Airport North, responded to this review, 1 March 2013
Wayne J.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay at the hotel. It sounds like during this stay we did a poor job of living up to your expectations and for that I apologize. It sounds like the heating system in the hotel was an issue during your stay and I have spoken to my Maintenance team about this. I sincerely hope that if you return to the area again you give us another try. Please feel free to look me up and i would be glad to meet with you and help make your stay the best I possibly can.

Thanks again
Trent
Elko, Nevada
Reviewed 16 February 2013

We were in Phoenix for 4 days for combination business and leisure. Booked this in advance because it was near our activities. It was an interesting but different, not what I expected of a Holiday Inn. The grounds were unique and well kept, with a beautiful courtyard and pool. The rooms were spacious, but had an 'old' look and musty smell. Decor and furnishings looked out of the 70's, but were clean. The place had everything advertised, and the staff was friendly, but it just didn't seem to rise to my expectations of a Holiday Inn. I've stayed at another a few miles to the south which is much cleaner, brighter. I guess this is what I expected. The breakfast at the restaurant was not good. Room service breakfast was cold and bland, again, not what I've come to expect from Holiday Inns. It wasn't terribly expensive, but wasn't cheap, either. I'd look elsewhere next time.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Jclark702,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay at the hotel. We have undergone an extensive renovation during our conversion from an Embassy Suites to a Holiday Inn and we are definitely pleased with how it looks. If you find yourself in the need of a hotel room again I hope you will choose to stay with us again,

Thanks
Trent
East Sussex
Reviewed 9 February 2013

A nice welcome when we arrived. We had a ground floor room, with maybe not best views, but for one night was fine. Enjoyed a quick swim in the outdoor pool (in feb) and the hot tub.

Room very clean and comfortable. The hotel is completely non smoking.

Free WiFi, but in room 143, the service was marginal. In the resturant, it was fine.

The breakfast was busy, nothing special, but OK.

A good price, and location near airport.

In the evening the room was slighly chilly, but there was no heating. I discovered they could either heat or cool the hotel, and there was no choice for a single room.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Significant water damage and odor in room with staff disinterested in complaint. Check in was slow and unorganized. Hotel close to airport which is positive and the rooms are spacious suites. However can't believe a hotel such as this is okay with the water damage and poor housekeeping practices. Old tissue on counter etc.

• Stayed February 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Phoenix Airport North, responded to this review, 23 February 2013
Dear Soccerboy74,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I am so pleased you liked the convenient location of our hotel. Please accept my sincerest apology for the issues you had with your room accommodations and the service you received that did not live up to your expectations. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed 8 February 2013

I have never seen a Holiday Inn like this. Fresh and modern lobby. Really nice outdoor fire pits to sit and enjoy a drink. I had a suite and I understand all the rooms are suites. One you have to see. I'll be back.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Guitarplay
Bella Vista, Arkansas
Reviewed 7 February 2013

This former Embassy Suites is now a best-in-class Holiday Inn. It has been completely remodeled from top to bottom and is virtually spotless. Furnishings are modern and extremely comfortable. Probably the best hotel bed I have ever slept in. I love the courtyard with firepits, plenty of seating areas etc. As a business traveler I stay at a lot of hotels along a wide variety of brands. This one sets the bar for all of the rest.

If I had one complaint it would be that there should be rates that include breakfast. It's a lot easier for me to get a $109 hotel room approved than it is a $10+tip breakfast.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business