“E Thomas Avenue” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #79 of 173 Hotels in Phoenix
Alpharetta, United States
“E Thomas Avenue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Hotel and amenities very good for the price, bar / restaurant could use a facelift, courtyard area very nice, pool open late, multi room suites giving extra room to relax and work. Nothing much within walking distance.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

johanna g, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to hear that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us. Although there is not much in walking distance to our property we do have our courtesy shuttle that will take our guests within a 3 mile radius of our property as long as they are not busy with any airport runs. We hope to see you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

I spent 3 weeks at this excellent hotel along with various associates who came and went over that period during a business trip to Phoenix. The Staff were friendly and extremely hospitable. The hotel is in very close proximity to the airport, HWY 51 and I-10 making it ideal to get anywere in the Phoenix area. The surroundings are older and a business district but I never felt unsafe. The hotel has 3 security guards who actively patrol the parking lot and hotel. The location is reflected in the price of the rooms.

6 people, 6 rooms, 3 cars and moving checkin / checkout dates over 3 weeks is a daunting administrative challenge for any hotel. Embassy Suites on Thomas Rd. did an exceptional job keeping track of it all. I initially arrived late at night and met with Morgan at the front desk. I needed to transfer reservations out of the company name and credit card to three different names and credit cards - no problem. We wanted rooms close together - no problem. Each time during my stay I went to the front desk to get some administrative gymnastics accomplished, Morgan, Hannah or Zarinah quickly decoded what I needed done and did it quickly with a smile.

Like all Embassy Suites there is a 2 hour free drink / snack session every night and a free full breakfast cooked to order in the mornings. The resturant was a great place to entertain clients and the bartenders Andy and Melanie quickly learned our preferences and greated us with them when we walked through the door. The food was reasonable, delicious and included lots of variety. The Chef at breakfast, Junior, treated us like family each morning and also remembered our preferences.

The property itself is older but constantly maintained by a large staff and very clean. The room interiors are as nice as any Embassy Suites. If you have kids there is a huge pool and hot tub. Gas tiki torches, nice landscape and fountains add to the atmosphere.

This is a great Hotel, reasonably priced, lots of amenities and with an extremely attentive staff. Highly recommended!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind comments. Our staff greatly appreciates them. I am glad to hear that you and your group have enjoyed your stay with us. We all enjoyed serving you all as our guests. We look forward to seeing you next time.
Prescott, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

If I hadn't stayed at Embassy Suites before, I probably would have left after waiting 10 minutes for check-in. Then, when additional help was called in to help the regular check-in clerk and I got her poor assistance and had to wait even longer for the regular person to accomplish our check-in, I thought everything was going to be okay. We were put into a room that didn't meet the criteria I request in my HiltonHonors profile but the over-worked clerk mentioned these issues, called house keeping to request my ammenities be put into this other room and I agreed to the changes. NOW I KNOW NEVER TO ACCEPT ROOM 329! Upon entering our suite, we noticed it was quite warm despite outside temps in the 50s. We kept lowering the thermastat but never accomplished less than 75 degrees in the rooms plus the fan ran constantly and was very LOUD! No worries, we left for the nice reception and enjoyed beer and snacks before returning to our room to watch a football bowl game. Thank goodness ESPN was provided even though it's quite a trick finding out how to get regular TV instead of all the pay-per-view options highlighted on the screens and screens necessary to navigate. Later, when we were too tired to want to report issues and deal w/a plumber or have to move into another room, we discovered that the shower was quite a trick. I finally found that switching back from shower to bath tub nozzle would allow me to adjust AGAIN the temperature of the water. Then, I could quickly switch back to shower and briefly wash my hair before a spurt of hot or cold necessitated another adjustment. Before my husband entered the shower, I attempted to describe the problem but it was so strange that he couldn't believe I'd been fairly accurate in describing what he had to do to accomplish NOT freezing or scalding for the next few minutes!!! In retrospect, we should have requested another room but were aware that the facility was quite full. We also laughed about the plumbing problem being one that would NOT be easily solved and we had no desire to spend the evening w/a plumber! For the most part, this aging facility has been kept clean and updated to a satisfactory level. The location is quite convenient and quiet due to the center garden design. Without total destruction and rebuilding, it would be hard to accomplish much more than they have already accomplished to maintain the pleasant, safe atmosphere.

1 Thank Kathryn B
johanna g, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I truly apologize that your stay was not up to your expectaions. I do apologize for the challenges that happened in your suite. I hope we were able to fix everything for you. We look forward to seeing you next time and greatly appreciate your loyalty with us.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

This must be one of the oldest ES properties in their portfolio. It doesn't appear to have received any updates in a long time, sans LCD televisions in the room. The Manager's Reception was held in the bar/restaurant that would be home in a seedier part of town. Speaking of which, it was pretty seedy in a 2-3 block radius of the hotel. The free cook-to-order breakfast was as tasty and well presented as many of the other ES locations I have been to.

I would probably not stay there again.

Room Tip: I don't believe there is a "good" room in the entire property.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
johanna g, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
It was a pleasure to serve you as our guest during your recent stay at our hotel. Thank you so much for your feedback and I am terribly sorry to see that your stay did not meet your expectations. Just earlier this year we have renovated our lobby, pool/atrium area as well as our restaurant. We are in a safe neighborhood, we are just located in a residential neighborhood rather than a commercial one. Thank you again for staying with us and I'd like to apologize again for the inconvenience. We hope you would give us another chance the next time you are in the Phoenix area.

Travellers are raving about these Phoenix hotels

Anchorage, Alaska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

I would not likely stay at this hotel again. The man who checked us in was not very friendly and we felt unsafe to even take a walk to dinner. I do have to say that the restaurant right next door, Jerry's, was a great place for breakfast the next morning. Very friendly staff, good food, and a nice old diner feeling. I would go back to Jerry's but not this hotel. Room had an old dingy smell and it just seemed very dated. My main reason however would be that I don't feel like it is located in a very safe neighborhood.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank DCV77
It was a pleasure to serve you as our guest during your recent stay at our hotel. Thank you so much for your feedback and I am terribly sorry to see that your stay did not meet your expectations. I do apologize for the service upon your arrival, this is very unusual for our staff. We are in a safe area with no concerns, the only difference with our property is that we are located in a residential neighborhood rather than a commercial one.Thank you again for staying with us and I'd like to apologize again for the inconvenience. If I may be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me at johanna.gilman@hilton.com
Camp Verde, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

We were very comfortable in our suite. It is nice to have a smoking room available. There are TV's in both the living room and bedroom. The only thing I did not like was there was no WiFi available in the room.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

I am happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. We do have WiFi available in our suites for a fee of $9.95 for 24 hours or there in complimentary access in our public areas. We hope to see you next time your travels bring you back this way.
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

Like pretty much everyone else who reviewed this hotel, we got stranded in Phoenix for 2 days due to our flights being cancelled and ended up here.

So if you haven't figured it out based on the pattern of stranded passenger reviews, this hotel probably does 70-80% of its business from people stuck at the airport and who either get vouchers for a free room and/or a steep discount from a 'distressed passenger' rate like we got. That speaks more to a 'I needed a place to stay and it's cheap' vibe vs. 'Hey, it's an Embassy Suites, let's stay here on purpose' vibe.

First and foremost, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The manager's reception was typical. Shuttle service ran on the half hour which was good. It was right across from a Dunkin Donuts which was a bonus.

But for those who hear 'Embassy Suites' and are certain what they'll get with that particular brand, think again. This is a motel setup, not a hotel. All doors open to the outside to a concrete walkway on the inside perimeter of the 'courtyard' as they call it. As the manager commented in a response to a review "We are a 'vintage' hotel". Um, no offense, but the words 'vintage' and 'hotel' aren't something I'm interested in. Nor am I interested in 'charming' or 'unique' when I stay at an Embassy Suites. I want tried and true, atrium-style, nice, comfortable Embassy Suites.

Along the lines of a motel, there was one person working the front desk at any time and that person pretty much did everything from checking people in to answering all calls. I had to walk down to get internet info because the lady working was so busy and was the only person there that no one could answer the phone. Not her fault but speaks to the motel/mid range-type hotel, not an Embassy. Similarly, the breakfast was not the typical Embassy buffet. They had one guy (Adrian, who was great and deserves a promotion) making all hot items. No hot items on the buffet so the line was long and took a long time. Again, not Adrian's fault. Either put out a buffet like every other Emabassy or put another chef in there so this poor guy doesn't have to do it all himself.

The room itself was smaller than most Embassy rooms (narrower and shorter). There was quite a large area that looked like a wet bar. This seemed like a ton of wasted space, especially considering the bathroom was tiny. The door had to be closed to use the toilet and the sink was actually in the bedroom next to the bathroom. Also a very small sink area. The walls were painted cinder block and/or wallpaper but the wallpaper was showing its age with many seams peeling up.

The internet was free but was really, really slow.

Someone mentioned this in another review and I can confirm it's true: After mentioned how warm it was in our room I was told by the staff that during the winter, when the temperature is below 50 degrees at night, they turn the AC off. So even though we set our thermostat to 68 degrees, the room temperature showed as 74. Why would they do this? If I can't control the temperature in my room then why bother putting in a thermostat?

Outside the hotel was not a nice, well-landscaped area that is typical of many Embassy's. It is plunked down in an asphalt lot about 50 feet off the street and sandwiched between a 3 story office building and a 24 hour restaurant. Not sure why I had to pay $5 for parking as it wasn't a closed or secured lot (it was combined with the restaurant).

Look, I'm not a hotel snob, just a normal guy with a family, And they've done their best trying to make this place nice and make it more of an Embassy Suites. But two things are clear:
1. This was a motel property that was converted to an Embassy.
2. They've really tried to renovate and make things nicer. But as the old saying goes: "You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig."

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank cberd1221
Thank you for your feedback. I truly apologize that your stay was not up to your expectaions. We are a little different from most Embassy Suites due to us having an open atrium rather than enclosed like most. We do renovations every year to keep up our property and make it as comfortable and relaxing for our guests. I hope you will give us another chance if your travels bring you back this way.