“Totally Delighted!”

Ranked #79 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Arizona
“Totally Delighted!”
Reviewed 13 December 2008

I had to book a last minute business trip to Phoenix and selected this location. Of course, I was in a rush and did not check Trip Advisor before hand. After I read the reviews, I nearly cancelled my stay. I am so happy that I did not do that. This property really over delivered! Complimentary airport shuttle and complimentary local area shuttle was just so convenient. Don, the driver, was amazing, friendly and caring, who remembered every detail about where I was going, and took good care of me. The 2 lovely ladies at check in were friendly and ever so helpful. My suite was immaculate and quiet. The bed was one of the best and I slept better than I have in any hotel. Complimentary Breakfast and Evening Cocktail Gathering were excellent. Good coffee is my hot button and their coffee was pretty good! Every staff member except the person who checked me out, went over and above and seem to truly love their work. I wouldn't recommend taking a long walk in this neighborhood but I felt totally safe at the hotel. There is a 7/11 across the street which was fine. My suite had a refrigerator and microwave which was a great touch to store and heat up left overs. This property is 2 miles south of The Biltmore Shopping Center and the drivers will take you from door to door. I did not hear a sound at night so the construction was solid. Kudos to Embassy Suites on Thomas Road for delighting this very picky traveler.

• Liked — The staff, accomodations, and complimentary transport.
  • Disliked — The person who checked me out was indifferent and didn't inquire about my stay or say much of anything.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Detroit, MI
Reviewed 9 April 2008

Did not expect an Embassy Suites to be so.....crummy (at $219/night). There is a sign in the lobby telling us how "excited" they are to announce renovations but I think "demolition" might be needed. The place is old--with lots of new, yellow (ugh) paint, but old nonetheless. My room was large (as expected) and had plenty of desk space (necessary for business work) and the kitchen was plenty adequate. There was a pall of shabbiness (painted big girl-room furniture in bedroom--puh-leeeeease) not brightened by the dim lighting. But there is plenty of brightness from the klieg lights in the parking lot that made me close my curtains even though I was on the top floor. Fitness room has been moved (no mention in the room-had to wander around to find it!) to a sleeping room with a bare bulb dangling from the ceiling. Would have found another hotel, but am only here for 2 days. Breakfast was excellent (as expected, and greatly appreciated).

• Liked — Location. Easy to get to from PHX
  • Disliked — Shabby
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Motowners
embassysuites, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport, responded to this review, 16 January 2009
Thank you for your review. I would like to inform you that since your stay at our property we have completed our NEW state of the art Precor Fitness Center. It contains the following equipment: 3 treadmills, 3 elliptical crosstrainers, 1 recumbent cycle, dumbells, leg sled, weight training system, 2 adjustable benches, ab x abdominal bench, strength trainer, stability balls, bosu balance trainer, medicine balls, foam rolles and streatch mats.
Los Angeles
Reviewed 31 March 2008

Having booked this room awhile back without checking Tripadvisor first, I was dismayed when I finally read the reviews last week before our trip. Since it was too late to change anything we went ahead with out plans to stay at this hotel. We found that, yes, it's in an older neighborhood that is a bit run down in places. However, we never feared for our safety once. Security and hotel staff were always present in the parking lots and on the premises.

The front desk staff were helpful and kind. The morning chefs were fantastic and fun individuals. They took the time to help you with any requests you might have and were very cheerful in doing so. The pool area was clean and neat to see at night with the gas lamps that surrounded it.

The only major drawback to this hotel was it's age. Supposedly its going through a remodel, but I found that the aging property didn't reduce our satisfaction as a family of 6.

• Liked — The gas light pool area and cooked to order breakfast
  • Disliked — The age of the hotel
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Hbmomof4
Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed 13 March 2008

It's actually a motel, and is located in a dangerous area. The motel is quite old and in need of a major overhaul or tear down. There was an airport shuttle and the staff was friendly and helpful. When I arrived it was 81 degrees, the hotel controls the heat/air for the entire building, the individual users can't. They didn't have the air on and the front desk gave me a fan after complaining. Even when air is on, it's still not that cold.

You have to drive everywhere to get out of the bad area. The pool and spa were nice and clean. The workout room consists of 3 treadmills.

• Liked — Pool/happy hour
  • Disliked — no air conditioning and location/age of building
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
Boston
Reviewed 30 October 2007

This is by far the worst hotel we've ever seen. SO much so that we left. It was dirty, rundown, and old, with mismatched and dirty furnishings. It's got a motel feel to it, with rooms opening to the outside center open courtyard and railings eveywhere you look, very dangerous set up for small children. We could not believe it was part of the Hilton family. The rate we had was $159/night. We left the same day, totally disgusted by the appearance and quality, and booked at the very nice airport Hilton for half the price.
The website photos are very, very deceiving. It was a nightmare of a place.

• Liked — nothing, it was awful
  • Disliked — everything. the dirty and unsafe vibe
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank Boston25
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 27 March 2007

Yes, it's older, but there's a lot to like about this Embassy Suites property. We like the self-catering possibilities, with a microwave oven and fridge in the room and a gas barbecue available, dining in is easy (housekeeping provides dishes). The pool is well laid out for sun and shade. Custom-cooked breakfast and "happy hour" are included in the price.
Ask for a room on the side without a parking lot for the quietest night.
While there isn't much to walk to in the neighbourhood, there's a handy grocery store a block west and a decent Italian restaurant a few blocks east. Beer and wine are readily available at a market a block east.

• Liked — convenience
  • Disliked — noise from parking lot at night
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kitsilano
Montana
Reviewed 25 February 2007

I had a wonderful stay at the Embassy Suites! They overdeliver with a wonderful full, fresh, variety breakfast, served with great service, and a comfortable atmosphere! We had grapefruit trees outside our suites patio, I loved the fire lights at night, and the oversized-tile whirlpool! An excellent hotel, and free shuttle service which was a wonderfully convenient courtesy for our group of Arbonne Consultants traveling all the way from Montana!
I give them a 20!
~Megan from Montana :)
Arbonne Independant Consultant
~swissmeg@gmail.com

• Liked — large suites,
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled on business