“Some good Some bad”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport
Ranked #82 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 10 February 2009

Well, this hotel did not quite live up to what I thought an Embassy Suites should be. Some of the staff was extremely friendly and accomodating, generally the staff during the day. The night staff was a little more hit and miss. We stayed a week on business. My room was exceptionally hot at night, and being on the second floor overlooking a parking lot, I did not want to leave my windows open. The AC did not work. On my last night I finally called to complain, at 10pm, and the "engineer" came with a fan. The hotel was nowhere near full, they could easily have moved me. Finally, when I couldn't lock my sliding door, I called again and was moved.

The hotel seemed reasonably clean, however, I developed a bacterial infection in my eyes (similar to pinkeye). It appears to be a 1970s apartment complex that was turned into a hotel--and not renovated in this century for sure.

The free breakfast is decent; the chefs who cook to order were all incredibly nice and efficient. The hotel restaurant was ok as well, nothing terrific.

The workout room was actually one of the nicest I have ever seen. Did not seem to fit with the rest of the facility.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 30 December 2008

The Embassy Suites has a great pool area, breakfast extraordinare and great suites. The rooms are large and have microwave, refrigerator and very comfortable. An outside entrance to pool and breakfast area. Specially prepared omelets, with a flair from the omelet artist are part entertainment and great tasting. We visited in December and there were people swimming in immaculate pool and hot tub surrounded by great landscaped. Grocery stores close and easy to find. Bed comfortable, showers well maintained. Easy to relax after a long day of travel, beautiful surroundings

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 December 2008

I had to book a last minute business trip to Phoenix and selected this location. Of course, I was in a rush and did not check Trip Advisor before hand. After I read the reviews, I nearly cancelled my stay. I am so happy that I did not do that. This property really over delivered! Complimentary airport shuttle and complimentary local area shuttle was just so convenient. Don, the driver, was amazing, friendly and caring, who remembered every detail about where I was going, and took good care of me. The 2 lovely ladies at check in were friendly and ever so helpful. My suite was immaculate and quiet. The bed was one of the best and I slept better than I have in any hotel. Complimentary Breakfast and Evening Cocktail Gathering were excellent. Good coffee is my hot button and their coffee was pretty good! Every staff member except the person who checked me out, went over and above and seem to truly love their work. I wouldn't recommend taking a long walk in this neighborhood but I felt totally safe at the hotel. There is a 7/11 across the street which was fine. My suite had a refrigerator and microwave which was a great touch to store and heat up left overs. This property is 2 miles south of The Biltmore Shopping Center and the drivers will take you from door to door. I did not hear a sound at night so the construction was solid. Kudos to Embassy Suites on Thomas Road for delighting this very picky traveler.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 April 2008

Did not expect an Embassy Suites to be so.....crummy (at $219/night). There is a sign in the lobby telling us how "excited" they are to announce renovations but I think "demolition" might be needed. The place is old--with lots of new, yellow (ugh) paint, but old nonetheless. My room was large (as expected) and had plenty of desk space (necessary for business work) and the kitchen was plenty adequate. There was a pall of shabbiness (painted big girl-room furniture in bedroom--puh-leeeeease) not brightened by the dim lighting. But there is plenty of brightness from the klieg lights in the parking lot that made me close my curtains even though I was on the top floor. Fitness room has been moved (no mention in the room-had to wander around to find it!) to a sleeping room with a bare bulb dangling from the ceiling. Would have found another hotel, but am only here for 2 days. Breakfast was excellent (as expected, and greatly appreciated).

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Motowners
embassysuites, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2009

Thank you for your review. I would like to inform you that since your stay at our property we have completed our NEW state of the art Precor Fitness Center. It contains the following equipment: 3 treadmills, 3 elliptical crosstrainers, 1 recumbent cycle, dumbells, leg sled, weight training system, 2 adjustable benches, ab x abdominal bench, strength trainer, stability balls, bosu balance trainer, medicine balls, foam rolles and streatch mats.

Reviewed 31 March 2008

Having booked this room awhile back without checking Tripadvisor first, I was dismayed when I finally read the reviews last week before our trip. Since it was too late to change anything we went ahead with out plans to stay at this hotel. We found that, yes, it's in an older neighborhood that is a bit run down in places. However, we never feared for our safety once. Security and hotel staff were always present in the parking lots and on the premises.

The front desk staff were helpful and kind. The morning chefs were fantastic and fun individuals. They took the time to help you with any requests you might have and were very cheerful in doing so. The pool area was clean and neat to see at night with the gas lamps that surrounded it.

The only major drawback to this hotel was it's age. Supposedly its going through a remodel, but I found that the aging property didn't reduce our satisfaction as a family of 6.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Hbmomof4
Reviewed 13 March 2008

It's actually a motel, and is located in a dangerous area. The motel is quite old and in need of a major overhaul or tear down. There was an airport shuttle and the staff was friendly and helpful. When I arrived it was 81 degrees, the hotel controls the heat/air for the entire building, the individual users can't. They didn't have the air on and the front desk gave me a fan after complaining. Even when air is on, it's still not that cold.

You have to drive everywhere to get out of the bad area. The pool and spa were nice and clean. The workout room consists of 3 treadmills.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business

Reviewed 30 October 2007

This is by far the worst hotel we've ever seen. SO much so that we left. It was dirty, rundown, and old, with mismatched and dirty furnishings. It's got a motel feel to it, with rooms opening to the outside center open courtyard and railings eveywhere you look, very dangerous set up for small children. We could not believe it was part of the Hilton family. The rate we had was $159/night. We left the same day, totally disgusted by the appearance and quality, and booked at the very nice airport Hilton for half the price.
The website photos are very, very deceiving. It was a nightmare of a place.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family