“Nice Staff, decent room, but terrible location”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport
Ranked #83 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 25 January 2011

We booked a stay at the Embassy Suites Airport for the BCS National Championship game in January 2011. As soon as we turned off the interstate, we knew we had made a mistake. The hotel is in a very run-down area and isn't close to anything that looks even remotely nice.

We did check in and walk up to see the room. Considering the age of the hotel, the room was pretty good. Clean, well-maintained and comfortable. Unfortunately, we couldn't get past the location and opted to check out. The staff was very nice and allowed us to pay the cancellation fee instead of the entire one night's lodging.

Be sure to do your homework and investigate the location to see if it's something that works for you. If it does, then you will find this hotel to be a clean, reasonable choice.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,114)

Reviewed 28 November 2010

The photos of the exterior pool on the website are absolutely accurate. The pool area is great, and there is an outdoor hot tub that was really the best part of the stay! Additionally, the guys at the front desk were incredibly helpful and friendly - couldn't have asked for better. We requested a 6am shuttle and it was right on time. We needed a place to eat Thanksgiving night, and were sent to a perfect Mexican restaurant. Finally, there is a bar on the top floor that has free drinks from 5-7. It was a nice way to wind down the day.
The rooms were fine - they would have been good, but there was curling wallpaper, chipped wood trim, etc. Towels, sheets, everything were clean, but the basic decor was a little dingy. Also, the internet costs $5/hour or significantly more per day - silly.
The neighborhood is commercial - Dunkin Donuts across the street. This was a fine place to stay the night before a flight.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 November 2010

I stayed at this Embassy Suites because it was close to the office I was visiting. While the price was good, most of the hotel was pretty not worth it.

The rooms need updating and the bathroom sink is directly across from the bed, which is kind of odd.

One of my biggest complaints was the laziness of some of the staff. I got some snacks at the evening reception one night and after housekeeping cleaned my room the following day, they placed the plate outside my door on the ground. It then remained there until sometime overnight the following night! This happened two nights in a row. Frankly, I would prefer you leave the dish in the sink where I placed it instead of outside where I or someone else could accidentally step on it.

And one morning some type of fan was just outside my door as well and it also just sat there on the walkway until late that night.

They also had a water outage overnight, which didn't affect me, but I would have preferred that Hilton show this on their website at the time of booking, or when I checked in, instead of getting a flyer under my door at 8pm!

Staff at breakfast were incredibly nice and the pool looked nice though I didn't use it. The gym is brand new - quite a contrast to the rest of the hotel!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank SFpol
Reviewed 14 November 2010

Service was not the issue. Hotel is in very poor condition. Rooms are very dated and not secure. Doors and windows are dirty, single pane and not sound or weather insulated. carpet, covers, sink, bathroom very dirty and repulsive. bathroom small and fan works only with the light. water was not hot enough, poor soap and shampoo selection. Poor towel and wash cloth. sink as outside the bathroom, in a vanity in the bedroom. small countertop, no space for toiletries, mirror was old and dirty, over sink light was down light so hard too your face to shave (or apply make-up I imagine). Close to the airport (kind of close I guess), Not all that close. bus runs every 30 minutes, breakfast was OK, but slow cook and I felt like I was in a high school cafateria. Bar tender was a nice guy, dirnks were fine. food in the bar was OK, not great.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank Mudrock
Reviewed 23 October 2010

From the missing elevator to the dangling light fixture in my room, from the industrial grade indor-outdoor carpet to the roar of the one-speed AC system, this property calls out for a major remodel.

The pool area did look clean and inviting though we did not partake. The property had the standard amenities expected of an Embassy Suites, but if we had waited in line behind all the employees and contractors for the free cooked breakfast, we would never have made our flight.

The room was spacious and the bed was comfortable, but for some inscrutable reason the bathroom was tiny. It was not possible to sit on the seat without making contact with the toilet paper holder. I'm sure there are better choices equally convenient to the airport.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2010

Hilton Brand hotels are a normal place to stay for my husband and I but we thought this place was the PITS! The room smelled horrible, looked like the 70's threw up all over it. The toilet was difficult to flush and the charge of $5 to park in their WIDE OPEN PARKING LOT is just plain stupid. The bed was comfortable and the rooms were large. The charges for internet is also stupid. I was able to handle all my computer business over my phone on the 3G connection so I was completely put out.

I normally get a review request from other Hilton properties but I received no request to rate this place. It's probably a good thing, although I do think I will contact the company to just let them know this place is way below their standards.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Arrival in Phoneix, the afternoon before the actual tour starts. We collect bags and hop on the free shuttle to Embassy Suites on 24th st. We noticed mixed reviews on the Tripadvisor.com, but with pre-pay advanced purchase deal we were happy to try it for a pre-tour night. The hotel was lovely, the pool was beautiful, the whirlpool nice and hot. It was 100 degrees at 6:30 pm. We ate at 5 MST (8 EST) and took advantage of the manager's reception beverages. The next day we woke early, 6 am MST and had a delicious full breakfast in the breakfast room, the butter paintbrush was wielded with a heavy hand by the cook, eaning his pancakes good reviews from Jack and Isabel. Another 3 hours in the pool and the sun was directly overhead, all shade was lost. Time to head back to Sky Harbor Airport to meet up with our Adventures by Disney group. We have the shuttle bus to ourselves, and say good-bye to the Embassy Suites, promising ourselves to rate it highly on the tripadvisor site, as we were very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family