“Nice hotel, but it was the staff who made it so.”

Hyatt Regency Phoenix
Ranked #27 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sacramento CA
“Nice hotel, but it was the staff who made it so.”
Reviewed 1 June 2011

I attended Comicon here this year over the Memorial Day weekend. The hotel was just across the street from the convention center, so its location is what brought me to the hotel. The lobby is nice and comfy, with a southwestern decor. The giftshop has many fine AZ souvenirs. I didn't go to the Compass restaurant due to its prices, but the Einsteins Bagels was great for drinks and inexpensive salads and wraps. Terrace Cafe had good breakfasts. The Networks Bar and Grill was great for evening meals, with the drinks being especially good. Our first waitress, Valerie, was the best! It must have been good food since I gained 2 pounds even though I walked all over the convention center 4 days straight. I did not use the pool area but my friend did, and said the pool and spa were wonderful, as well as the workout room. The floor carpeting was showing wear, but it must be a busy hotel. There is no free Internet but if you buy food at Networks, we were told we'd get free connection, and there are computers in the lobby to use, 30 minutes for $5, if you must access your email. There is also a computer to use to print out airline boarding passes, a nice convenience. My main gripe with the otherwise adequate rooms was there was no mini fridge, as many hotels are adding now. There was a coffee pot and hairdryer though, both appreciated.

Now to the staff: from the man who checked us in (gave us a 19th floor room!) to the engineer who fixed our shower to the desk personnel at the front desk to the wait staff in the Terrace Cafe, all were friendly, helpful and this while maintaining their nerves during a crazy sci fi convention where zombies and other costumes walked the hotel at all hours. I would stay here again if the location warranted. Thank you, Hyatt Hotels, for making our stay so nice!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank LisaMSacramentoCA
HyattRegencyPhoenix, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Phoenix, responded to this review, 2 June 2011
Thank you for your wonderful feedback and top-notch recommendation of our hotel. The Hyatt Regency Phoenix loves Comicon and we were pleased to have you as our guest attending this event over the Memorial Day weekend. Your feedback has been shared with the associates and I am proud that the team was successful in providing an outstanding experience. Our goal is to be the hospitality provider of choice and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit.

Your referral is our biggest compliment and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hyatt in the near future. We are already in planning stages for Comicon 2012!

Murray Burnett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Korean first
London
Reviewed 28 May 2011

Stayed here for a few days attending a conference at the convention centre. It is extremely convenient for the convention centre - just across the street. The hotel itself looks better on the web-site than in reality. All in all, it is pretty comfortable. A few specifics:
Location - marvellous for the convention centre, being right across the street. It is in downtown, but Phoenix downtown is not particularly exciting - there isnt really very much there. But arguable, this is a problem with Phoenix, not the hotel.
Lobby - definitely looks better in teh web-site than in reality.
Breakfast - Food not good and the waiters/waitresses I find a bit blunt, even a bit rude. Smile please, and be a bit more sincere.
Room - clean, tidy, well maintained, spacious, well decorated. But there isnt a comfy chair or a coffee table - the only chair in my room was the chair at the work table. Checking the picture on the website, these arent there either.
Wifi-wired - apparent, only the lower floors has wired access.
Restaurant - the restaurant at the top of the hotel seems very popular - every time I wanted to go there, it is full, so havent managed to eat there. Had dinner once in the sports bar instead. Food OK.
Coffee shop - it has a starbuck style coffee shop on the ground floor which is very good, and convenient.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank ChiFT
HyattRegencyPhoenix, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Phoenix, responded to this review, 1 June 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write about your past visit with us. Your comments were very much appreciated.

I look forward to sharing your comments with the hotel staff, as your feedback will help improve future service. We hope to have the privilege to welcome you back to our hotel again soon as well as the opportunity to serve you in the Compass Arizona Grill at the top of the hotel.

Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed 25 May 2011

Purpose: Weekend getaway
Length of stay: 2 nights

Pros:
-Located in the heart of Downtown Phoenix, right across from the Phoenix Convention Center. PERFECT if you're going to the US Airways Center or Chase Field, both of which are literally just at the end of the street. There was also a light rail station within walking distance, which made it easy to get to ASU and the airport. It's also nearby an outdoor shopping mall --the Arizona Center--with plenty of places to eat (i.e. Hooters, a Greek restaurant). However, we stayed here during a weekend when there were no events going on, so the area was dead. Nevertheless, I always felt very safe walking around the area, even late at night.

-Lobby had a tasteful desert theme and was warm and inviting

-Wonderful glass elevators that overlook downtown Phoenix; this was really something at night!

-Room was very big, and the beds were so soft! I felt like I was sleeping on a cloud!

-Bathroom had complementary toothpaste--LOVED that, since I had to throw mine out at the airport.

-Fitness center was extensive, especially for a predominantly business hotel.

-Front desk staff wonderful and accommodating. When I checked-out at 6am on a Monday morning, the female agent (shame I didn't get her name), was so upbeat and genuine. I left with such a positive impression!!

Cons:
-Didn't like the check-in kiosk--talk about a perfect example of something good in theory, but awful in practice. It created a very cold check-in experience--they really should be scrapped.
-TV didn't have HD programming; not a big deal (who goes on vacation to watch TV?), but the channels were very pixely.
-Pool wasn't that clean (there were cigarette buds floating in it).

Overall: You absolutely can't go wrong with this hotel. Loved it, and will return.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Row21Middle
Thank you so much for your kind review, we're so glad you enjoyed your weekend getaway with us!

I am pleased that you were able to utilize the hotels great location and amenities. We are very appreciative of your recommendation and would love to welcome you back to our hotel and city in the future.

Orland Park, Illinois
Reviewed 15 May 2011

I would just like to commend on the great service I've received at the terrace cafe. Our server was friendly but I can't remember her name, I do want to comment though on the excellent service that we got from Chad. He was very attentive, greeted our table first, brought our drinks and continuously check on us. He was very personable and had a warm smile. Good food, could have had a better selection in music, overall experience was great.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank journey63
HyattRegencyPhoenix, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Phoenix, responded to this review, 16 May 2011
Thank you for sharing your kind words about the exceptional service you received at the Terrace Cafe. We are happy to hear that Chad provided outstanding service and we will be sure to let him know of your wonderful feedback about him.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel and city in the future. Thank you for your feedback and recommendation.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2011

Tuesday April 11 -

Rooms 522 534 536

When we checked in the automatic check in did not work - the person
eventurally found the reservation but mixed up the names on the rooms I was
reserved for 3 rooms for 4 nights. Take note earlier even their staff on
the phone could not locate the reservations. I could then not log onto the
internet, get replacement keys etc. When I asked the person if I had not
reserved king beds I was told I could only get what was on my reservation -
is there not a nicer way to put this?

Later I left my key in the room but could not get a new one because of
security even though my credit card was paying for all 3 rooms

Bathroom is dirty - see coffee stains, stains on floor. When the rooms
become steamed, you can see all of the toothpast splatters on the mirrors.
If you do a simple tissue test - rub the bathroom floor in a traffic area
after the room is cleaned you see how dirty it is. There was a safety pin
on my floor when I arrived on Tuesday - it is still on the floor -
Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. The drains are not flowing clearly in the
bathtub.

The ceilings are filthy around the vents in the main room. This is simply
an issue of regular maintenance and painting when necessary.

Elevator button areas outside of the elevator are filthy

Then

At Wednesday 5 28 am the front desk advises me they cannot lend me a Yoga
mat even though gym is closed. These are only for use in the Gym... hmmm

Wednesday 5 35 - am - went to the front desk but could not find a newspaper
in the lobby and no Concierge personal - no one could find me a newspaper

The main issues for me in a hotel are
Staff courtesy
Cleanliness

The Hyatt has failed completely on these issues

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank bcwqueenst
HyattRegencyPhoenix, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Phoenix, responded to this review, 12 May 2011
I appreciate the time you took to share your recent feedback with us, I am deeply disappointed with the issues you experienced during your stay.

As you know through recent phone conversations, we have taken your concerns very seriously. We have shared your comments with the appropriate department managers so procedures can be reviewed.

We do hope to welcome you back again soon. Thank you again for your feedback and your business, we appreciate both.

Long Beach, California
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Top notch establishment. Treated like royalty upon check-in. Did not have to bother with check-out invoice was placed under my hotel room door early on the day of check-out. Hotel amenities are beyond the norm.
Will use hotel again when in that area. Would recommend to anyone traveling to the Phoenix area.
Location was a little cluttered but early late evening traffic starts to thin out. Still a geart place to stay!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank whitestanw1
HyattRegencyPhoenix, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Phoenix, responded to this review, 29 April 2011
Thank you for your wonderful feedback and top notch recommendation of our hotel! We are pleased that you received the royal treatment during your stay with us.

Your referral is our biggest compliment and we look forward to welcoming you back to our great hotel in the future.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 25 April 2011

We had a long travel from the east coast with our infant son and when we checked into our room we unpacked and got settled in. Shortly after getting ready for bed I spotted a flea on my infant son. At first I thought it was a gnat, but after catching it under a glass cup my husband and I confirmed it was indeed a flea. The front desk agent Chelsea was extremely apologetic and upgraded us to a suite on the same floor and helped us move all of our belongings. The security guard named Heather also helped us with the daunting change of rooms. My son was tired and so were we as it was close to 4am our time. They also took care of our dinner since we had not eaten at all. Also, our breakfast for the stay. They more than made up for the inconvenience and we were very impressed with the help and their kind and empathetic hospitality. We ended up staying despite the initial bad experience since the rest of our stay was pleasant. In fact we extended for one more night and recommend this hotel to our family and friends. Great service and warmth from the staff.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback and recommendation of our hotel. We take your feedback very seriously and have looked further into your concerns.

I am pleased to hear that our associates were able to provide kind, professional and empathetic hospitality to you and your family, and that they were able to take care of all concerns. We strive to provide exceptional customers service at every opportunity.

You may find comfort in knowing that once we were aware of your concern we immediately took the room out of service and contracted a nationally recognized pest control expert to conduct a thorough investigation and treatment of the room. The safety of our guests and cleanliness of our facilities remain our top priorities.

I thank you again for sharing your feedback as well as your recommendation.