“OK for business, rather impersonal”

Hyatt Regency Phoenix
Ranked #23 of 173 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Large hotel right in the middle of downtown Phoenix and convenient for the business area and convention centre. Although tidy it has not had any real investment in recent years and is lagging behing the adjacent Marriot, and Sheraton. Service is adequate but not exceptional and the public areas are spread and rather lacking in character. Had problem with the heating, rather cold for February but not for winter, which was not properly resolved despite several promises to do so.

Room Tip: have been several times and no rooms are particularly noisy, ones on the front have a great view to...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
HyattRegencyPhoenix, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Phoenix, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

Thank you for staying with our hotel during your visit to Phoenix in February. We are sorry about some of the issues you encountered during your stay with us. We pride ourselves in our customer service and product. Obviously, in this case we fell short of your expectations. It is our hope that you give us another chance and stay with us next time you’re in the Phoenix area.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,135)

Reviewed 14 March 2013

Stayed here for a conference (hosted most conveniently across the street at the Convention Center). It's a central location with several restaurants and shops in the area and walking distance to US Airways Center and Chase Field. Used the web check-in based on the e-mail Hyatt sent to me in the morning. I received a confirmation my room was ready with the room number (I thought this was a nice touch). Check-in experience was fast and the lobby is nicely laid out for meeting, networking and a bar/restaurant and bagel shop within. Room was large (King room) but pretty standard and a bit dated. The water pressure in the sink could be better and the water temp in the shower was haphazard (although pressure was good). I had people talking and watching TV on both sides of my room which didn't help my "quiet time" experience. I think my mattress has seen better days but the linens were nice. That said, all things considered, it was an adequate, clean room. I would stay again if the price was right. If you're going to Phoenix to see a game, you'll be fine.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Hyatt. We hope that your return to the hotel on your next visit to Phoenix.

Reviewed 13 March 2013

I liked the lobby - modern, spacious, multiple food & beverage options. I liked the location - near everything downtown - very convenient. The rest was not so good. The room was dated and a bit worn. One side of the bed was okay, the other side was worn out and terrible. Very small bathroom. Uncomfortable 70s style desk and furniture. Staff seemed consistently uncaring and uninterested in customers. $5 if you want to use your laptop and phone connected to their wifi. I had room service dinner one night - McDonalds would have been better. For $225 a night (convention rate) plus taxes, I'll look for a better option next time in town. I would have given 2.5 stars if possible.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank cinncitraveler
HyattRegencyPhoenix, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Phoenix, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2013

Please accept our sincere apologies for the issues you encountered with your guest room and room service while a guest at our hotel. It is our hope that you treat this as an isolated experience and give us another chance if your will be in the Phoenix area again.

Again, please accept our apologies!

Reviewed 12 March 2013

Old and dated rooms, incredibly uncomfortable beds. Rooms lack drawer space -- 1 drawer provided. I was charged a $5 fee to receive an envelope -- which I had to wait 15 minutes to get at the business center. When I questioned it at checkout, the front desk associate argued with me. The restaurant was fair, at best, for breakfast. They pushed the buffet (hard) and seemed to bristle when I ordered off of the menu. When I ordered a dish with turkey, they subbed chicken and didn't tell me. I questioned it and they even refused to take it off of the bill. One bright note... valet parking was always fast and efficient. This is one Hyatt that I won't be returning to. There are much better options in the Phoenix area.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Please accept our apologies for the poor experience you had at our hotel this past week. It is our hope that you treat this as an isolated experience and give us another chance the next time you’re in the Phoenix area. Again, our apologies for the frustrations you encountered with our staff and service levels.

Reviewed 10 March 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel for the Rock and Roll marathon. Perfect location but not cheap. Rooms are nice. Gym and pool are so-so. Room service and in hotel gift shop are pricey. Easy location to walk to a ton of other options though. No airport shuttle though.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I stayed on the 18th floor for 4 days in March for a conference held in Sheraton. Overall, it is a nice hotel, but a little dated. It is located in the downtown Phoenix, within walking distance to the convention center, a shopping area with restaurants and gift shops.

The room size is larger than many of the Hilton or Marriott rooms. There is a desk and a chair in the room, but does not have an extra chair/sofa as in many hotel rooms. Also it does not have a separate desk for water, cups, coffee pot, etc. All these are placed where TV screen is, which is kind of odd. The room is very quiet and the bed is comfortable.

The bathroom is clean. It also provides a bath robe, a pair of slippers and tooth paste, in addition to the common things found in a room. There is one hook in the bathroom, which I wish there were more for convenience. One complaint I have is that I did not have hot water in the morning for 2 days. I did not have an issue with hot water whenever I used it in the afternoon or in the evening though the water was not as hot as I'd like, at least it was not cold. The front desk was very nice about it and offered me free breakfast for the inconvenience. However, it appears it is not just my room that had hot water issue. Other people on the 11th floor had same issue while I stayed there.

There are 2 electrical connections on the desk lamp, and 3 on each side on the table by the bed, though it seems only one side of them worked. 2 other connections can be found on the wall. Its in-room internet is extra charge for only one device connection. wifi is free in the lobby. There is a dedicated computer/printer where you can print your airline ticket. There is a charge for using their other non dedicated computers in the lobby.

Parking looks decent, but it is mixed with public and hotel guest parking.

Hotel has a rooftop restaurant which turns 360 degrees. It opens from 5:30 pm - 11 pm only. Great views of the city and atmosphere. I was told by other tourist that the food is just average though. Breakfast is on the 2nd floor which has a buffet and regular breakfast items. I loved their yogurt. A Bagel shop and a Bar and Grill is on the 1st floor. Food is decent but not exceptional.

Sheraton is one block walking distance. It looks newer than Hyatt. Its room is smaller though.

The hotel staff was very nice and trying to help. Overall, it was a good stay, but the hot water issue makes me rate it lower.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 March 2013

Friendly service, modern, and walking distance to a number of decent restaurants and bars. The only negative encountered during my stay was that the cleaning staff overlooked a bag of apples left in the mini fridge by a previous guest, but that was a minor nuisance at best. If you're looking to stay downtown, look no further.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends