“Good place for the money” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Motel 6 Phoenix North - Bell Road

Motel 6 Phoenix North - Bell Road
Ranked #110 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Tucson, Arizona
“Good place for the money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

I'd read an earlier review that trashed this place, but it was so close to where I needed to be this week that I decided to try it anyway. The pool was probably the most sparkly-clean pool I've ever been in ~ wonderful! ~ except the hot Phoenix sun made it almost too warm to enjoy.

The staff was very good and went out of their way to make things right. I stayed in a non-smoking room but the stale smell of old cigarette smoke is still in there; wouldn't recommend this if you are very sensitive to the smell.

This Motel 6 is nothing special but it's certainly worth the money if you need to stay in the immediate area.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank aztraveler1414

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2010

I agree 100% with the other posters...My husband and I had just gotten into Phoenix and we had to spend the night somewhere before we signed apartment paperwork in the morning. Whenever we travel, we always check availability at Motel 6 first because it's a good place to lay your head for a night or two.... but this, by far, was the worst Motel 6 we've ever stayed at.

The outside of the motel is run down, unkept and unclean. The sides of the building and sidewalks were filthy with trash and stuck on food and whatever else... The next nightmare was the room: very very unclean. The floor looked like it had not seen a vacuum in more than a few months; There was dirt, crumbs, debris and trash all along the baseboards of the walls; there was hair in the trash, all over the sink, on the floor, etc.; the room was supposed to be non-smoking but there were ashtrays and burn holes everywhere (carpet, bedspread, etc.); the room had a weird odor that was not clean.
My husband insisted that we stay here because it was cheap. I wanted to sleep in the car, but the parking lot was not a safe-looking place either with all its creepy strangers and domestic disputes. Luckily I had a sheet and pillow of my own in the car and managed to get to sleep.
3 hours after getting comfortable, I hear thecard slot in the door and the door was pushed open! We had the latch covering the door so he couldn't come all the way in... but it woke us up. He said we werne't supposed to be in the room and then he left. This was followed by a very rude phone call from the front desk asking us for our "information" and name because she didn't have anyone registered in the room. (We'd been there since 2pm that afternoon!) Never once during the call did she apologize for the "inconvenience"... nothing.

PLEASE STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE. THE EXTRA FEW DOLLARS WILL DEFINITELY BE WORTH YOUR PEACE OF MIND!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
6 Thank chardowning
phoenix az
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2008

I was inbetween apartments a few years ago and needed a place to stay for a few weeks and decided that motel 6 would be alright. It was only $200 a week and close to work. Big mistake. The lowest of the low lifes live there. Drug dealers, prostitutes and criminals were my neighbors. I have since moved into a nice place down the street and drive by it occasionaly and I must say it hasn't changed much in the last 4 years. If you need a nice secure place to stay head further east down bell road closer to scottsdale. This is a bad place

• Liked — check out
  • Disliked — other guests
  • Stayed August 2003, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank tuttle62
Albuquerque, NM
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2008

I have a few general rules about traveling. One is "be flexible." Another is "never stay at a Motel 6." While I am sure there are nice Motel 6's out there, I have never had the good fortune to stay at one. So, when my husband informed me that he had booked us into a Motel 6 for a one-night stay on our recent road trip, I was pretty scared. Motel 6? Yikes! But remembering my first rule, I figured, let's get there and see what it's like. My husband sent me the website listing from Motel 6's corporate website and it looked like the hotel was fairly new, so I decided to reserve judgment.

Well, we pulled into the parking lot and at first thought we'd gotten lost. The motel looks nothing, and I mean NOTHING, like the picture on the website. The picture on the website shows a newer chain hotel with nice landscaping, etc. The actual Motel 6 we stood in front of looks more like run-down project housing than a motel. There was trash in the parking lot, numerous shady characters hanging out in the doorways of the rooms, chipped and peeling paint, in the five minutes we were there we got to hear a loud argument between hotel "guests" that was seemingly about illegal substances, etc. etc. etc. The place looks like it is serving as cheap pseudo-temporary housing for the poor instead of a hotel. We have a toddler son and took one look inside one of the rooms (it was unoccupied but conveniently, the lock was broken so we could take a peek) and said "no way." I don't really want to describe what one of the rooms looked like - and probably don't have to. Between the horrific condition of the room and the surroundings there was no way we were going to stay at this dump. We hightailed it down the road to a Comfort Inn where we had a nice stay for only slightly more money than the Motel 6 was charging.

So. If my husband had checked TripAdvisor we would never have been hoodwinked by the blatantly deceptive photograph on the Motel 6 website. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE! It is NOT the same place pictured on the Motel 6 website. By FAR. And I do not think it would be safe for anyone staying there - forget actually having an enjoyable experience.

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
6 Thank newmexicomommy
SoCal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2007

Half the place is being renovated and the other half should have been 10 years ago. Lots of long term welfare lodgers who shout and hang out at all hours. Was eating take out on the "desk" and had a cockroach appear from behind the desk counter. Was the first and last time here. I stay happily at 10 to 20 Motel 6's a year and this was the absolute worst. Sleep in your car!!

Stayed October 2007
5 Thank bankbuilder
northwichita
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2007

During my stay this 59 buck hotel room was adjacent to this young guys who stayed up most of the night, played loud music on and off, (No fan of rap here), and they had company the whole night. I assume that was a drug dealer, I feared for my safety, and am glad to have survived. I just remembered the door would only unlock once, then northing. The manager showed me you had to roughly shake the door to make the lock work. Jeez. And in the parking lot, this dude tells me (I'm in a car I just picked up), that the adjacent pickup has 3 !! babies in it, and no one else. After a little discussion on how bad that is (as I clench my gym bag against me, I suggest he tells the desk clerk. He then walks to a corner and waits for awhile. He finally leaves. Surprisingly my car is there in the morning. I did check the pickup from the second floor, no babies that I could see.

• Disliked — rap music at 2:00 in the morning
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled solo
5 Thank northwichita
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2007

You gotta be kidding me! What a DUMP. I should have found a bridge to sleep under - at least then I would have had more privacy as all of the homeless people, wino's and drug addicts were at this hotel.

• Liked — I was able to leave quickly
  • Disliked — The criminal atmosphere
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled solo