“Loved the room and overall hotel experience!”

Hilton Phoenix Suites
Ranked #28 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Salem, Oregon
“Loved the room and overall hotel experience!”
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I recently spent some time in the Phoenix and Scottsdale area, wanting to see sites and points of interest in both cities. This meant two hotels, which was not a problem. When making the decision on which HiltonHHonors property, the Hilton Suites Phoenix was the choice. The main reason for this property is the close proximity to the Metro Light rail line. The Thomas Rd. station is right by the hotel, and will take you into downtown Phoenix, to Sky Harbor, and to the east terminus point in Mesa (with stops in Tempe). I opted not to rent a car this trip and use light rail. It’s dependable and very affordable ($10.50 for a three-day pass).

This is definitely a business-oriented hotel! The entire hotel was not busy including the restaurant and bar. It was very, very quiet which was fine with me!

A nice surprise awaited me at check-in! Apparently my name was selected as the “best guest of the day”! This entitled me to a small bottle of wine and a fruit and cheese plate! Nice touch.

My room was a standard two-room suite with separate living and bedroom areas. The bathroom was spacious and had the new Peter Thomas Roth amenities. I heard that Hilton had just recently switched to these products, and I found them to be quite nice.

The hotel pool is located inside and overlooks the surrounding area, nothing spectacular. I was surprised to find an indoor pool in Phoenix! Adequate fitness center was located in close proximity to the pool, but I did not use it.

The hotel is designed much like an Embassy Suites, with the central atrium and rooms all opening out onto it. My thoughts were, was this once an Embassy Suite reflagged a Hilton Suites?

The one negative comment I have is the outrageous charge to use a computer in the business center! I travel with my iPhone (and had free Wi-Fi as a Gold) and was able to take care of email and airline check-in. You have the option of swiping a credit card for three minutes of free access and were not inclined to swipe a card for “free” access. I find it very interesting that most Hampton Inn’s, Hilton Garden Inn’s and other HiltonHHonors properties offer free computer access in their business centers, while many Hilton’s do not.

As a HiltonHHonors Gold I received coupons for the breakfast buffet. Both mornings the buffet was not available and it was menu service. Luckily my coupons covered the entire cost of my breakfasts. Being a holiday weekend the hotel had very few guests, it probably didn’t pay to have a buffet open.

I did not use the complimentary shuttle as the Metro light rail is just a few steps from the hotel (Thomas Road stop along Central Avenue).

I would highly recommend this hotel for business stays and for leisure stay also. If you don’t have an automobile the light rail can get you to a host of places such as downtown Phoenix, Tempe, and Mesa. Great property!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
vernon bc
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Recent stay of 3 nights for the Volleyball Festival was a pleasant surprise. Rooms were clean, large, and well-equipped; restaurant meals very good (including an extensive breakfast buffet for V'ball participants at a heavy discount); shuttle to Civic Center & nearby drugstore very convenient; and every staff member we encountered (front desk clerks, restaurant servers, shuttle drivers, and gift shop attendants) was friendly and efficient. Obviously well trained in customer service.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Chicago
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Nice hotel, good service. Great deal from priceline the day of. Would stay again.

Room Tip: We had a regular suite- very nice.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 27 June 2011

This hotel is close to my company's offices in Phoenix and is my preferred hotel there. The rooms have always been clean and comfortable, and the service is good. This last visit the service seemed to have stepped up a bit more - I had great help at the front desk a couple of times. I highly recommend it and am baffled at the negative reviews here.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Tampa
Reviewed 26 May 2011

I stayed at the Hilton Suites for 6 nights split up over two weeks. This is an all suite hotel and the suites are very spacious. The hotel is situated in between two taller office buildings and a large parking garage. So most of the rooms will face these buildings, but the rooms overlooking Thomas have a bit better view beyond immediate buildings. I stayed in rooms 621 and 321 and never heard anyone in surrounding rooms or in the hallway.

There is plenty of parking in the adjacent garage. Get a ticket and bring it inside to have it validated/activated, then guests may come and go as they please. The $11/day will be charged to the room. The parking ticket may be swiped to exit the parking lot if the line for the attendant is backed up.

The lobby of the hotel is large and inviting and the front desk staff is excellent.

The large rooms include a leather sofa with pullout sofabed in the living area. There's a good size desk for one with wired internet (wireless also available). The internet speed isn't great, but enough to get some work done. It's $9.95/day charged to the room. The living area also has a coffee maker, small refrigerator and a sink. There's a flat panel 32" LCD TV and an extra chair with ottoman.

The living room and bedroom both have windows to the exterior. The bedroom is nice and comfortable with a GREAT mattress on the bed, two nightstands, dresser (with 32" flat panel LCD on top) and ample lighting. There's a tall mirror as well.

The bathroom is large with separate doors to the bedroom and living area. There's a single sink, regular size bathtub with shower and the closet is also in the bathroom.

I ordered room service a few times during my 2nd stay and the service was fast and pleasant. The food was surprisingly good.

This hotel is a bit more expensive than other hotels in the area, but I feel it's worth it as a business traveler. It's too bad being nickeled and dimed with parking and internet. All in all, this is my hotel of choice when traveling to Phoenix on business.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Apple Valley, California
Reviewed 3 May 2011

We stayed here for the weekend to watch our Cubs play at Chase Field. The light rail is right across the street and takes you right in front of Chase Field. The room was great. Plenty of space, clean and a comfy bed.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Kingman, Arizona
Reviewed 27 March 2011

The hotel offers valet parking and bell service, but when I arrived there was no
one to park my car or help with luggage. Is this a full service hotel? My experience
was to walk into a room with dirty carpet, a nasty bathroom, and dirty walls. The
sleeper soft was horrible and certainly not ergonomic. I will never stay at this hotel
nor recommend it to anyone. It needs a top to bottom renovation and until then it
is not up to Hilton standards.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank WstrnSkies
JayAnderkinGM, General Manager at Hilton Phoenix Suites, responded to this review, 29 April 2011
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to leave a review regarding your stay. I'm very sorry that your perception was so negative. I respect your comments and take them very seriously. As manager, of course I don't want anyone to have this type of experience. I need to develop my plan of action from the list of comments you have left taking into consideration that the Hilton Suites went through a complete renovation in 2008 depicted on our website photos, and we have had no issues with unannounced travel industry related inspections. Obviously your experience was much different indicating that something went extremely wrong on this stay; I'm sorry and I hope you will contact me so that we can further discuss this situation.
Jay Anderkin