“Close but not enough shuttles”

Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area
Ranked #123 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Friendly staff, easy to get delivery for food or short walk to the best steak house in phoenix. All at a great prices. Close to hotel. With free shuttle bus every hour. Let me check in early for no extra charge.

• Stayed March 2014
hojophoenix, General Manager at Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you again.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 2 March 2014

i stayed Feb 15th. I had made an online reservation thru ParkSleepFly. The room given to me was basically behind the front desk/reception area. I was assured it would be quiet after everyone came in for the night. Cleanliness ok. bed comfortable BUT There was a large refrigerator in the room that had the snacks and supper meal of the employees and 2 cases of cokes for a vending machine, I assume. no clock. no radio. Hot water came out of the tub faucet very brown. cold water appeared clear. I reported to the desk and the girl came to look at--but could do nothing. No other room available. She said mix it with cold as it seems only the hot came out brown?? I skipped hair wash and shower!

Later that night the phone rang and rang, as I was on my cell phone I did not get to it before ringing stopped. Then a pounding on the door. I was half dressed but went to the door-- there was no peephole thru the door. I opened it slightly and staff member said she needed to get her lunch from the refrigerator. She said " I called but you didn't answer"

I did sleep ok and had a wake up call. I was able to get a bagel and coffee and got the shuttle at 4:15 am.
My car was parked there for a week and was ok. I felt safe.. it was just weird to be given a room where staff keep their lunch and the hot water came out brown! No offer of a refund!

My bill did not seem right. I thought the cost was $89 but I had to pay a deposit when I registered on line and a service fee and then another $105 when I checked it. My deposit was not subtracted. The room cost me $123 and wasn't worth half that!
I was told I could see the Manager when he came in at 8:30 am but they could do nothing about it.
Also when I was at the desk trying to get the bill sorted out--even before I discovered brown water from the faucet--- people came and ask for towels and were told there was no access to clean laundry after laundress left.. Funny since a few minutes before someone came and ask for clean pillowcases, as these had been forgotted, and they were told laundy staff would bring them.

I live on a budget and I am not opposed to "less than luxury" motel stays--but the price was ridiculous even without the brown water and staying in the staff break room. I really think I should be compensated. I have heard nothing back from the HJ Management.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank clare1950
The room that is off to the side of the office was given to guest due to a late check in. All water was clean and we did not have any other complaints from any other guests . Every guest is respected equally and no way would any employee invade any guest in their room.

Travellers are raving about these Phoenix hotels

Payson, Arizona
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Never again!! Air & clock not working, no toilet tissue, carpet filthy, mold in shower, bed appeared to have been laid on, bugs crawling on bathroom floor, remote difficult to change channels. Health Dept. needs to inspect and shut you down!!! Howard Johnson himself would be ashamed. Yuk!!!!!!

Room Tip: My tip is to stay away.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Joyce G
hojophoenix, General Manager at Howard Johnson Phoenix Airport/Downtown Area, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
We apologize for any inconvenience you may have had with your room during your stay. We would like to state that all rooms have been updated within the past year and there is no mold or bugs in any room. All rooms are inspected previous to guest being assigned to any room and is not given a clear status until everything is cleaned and beds are made. Any guests that feel uncomfortable are always encouraged to let staff know so that we may better serve our guests. Thank you for your feedback and thank you for staying with us.