“Issues”

Residence Inn Phoenix
Ranked #103 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 5 November 2011

I chose this facility due to reviews made on Tripadvisor. Overall my room was clean and everything worked. I will say with I-17 freeway being so close I was able to count the cars at night, especially trucks. The room I was assigned is toward the rear of the property so things can't be better closer toward the freeway. I attempted to make a toll free call from my room two hours after arriving and could not dial out. Searching for assistance I called the front desk and was told to give it a "little time" and they would have the problem solved. A half hour went by with better results so I called the front desk again. I was told someone was going to come to my room to remedy the issue. No representative came to my room. I made four calls in three hours. After three hours passed they quit answering my calls so I called their main number from my cell phone. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told he had just left for the day. The person answering, Johnny, asked if he could assist me so I told him who I was and was in room ---. He said please hold. I did for a few minutes. Johnny came back on the line and said "try it now". I did and it worked. Whatever Johnny did he could have done in the previous hours. It was a very frustrating experience. Last night with rain falling in Phoenix I was awakened many times with the loud sound of a lot of rain pouring on something metal. This morning I went outside to find out what kept me awake most of the night. On the back of the building there are no gutters nor overhang from the roof. Rain from the roof was falling straight down and falling on a metal security light. That light was opposite the headboard. There might as well not even been a wall between the light and the headboard as it was loud enough to keep anyone awake all night. One other issue was upon driving up to my room after being gone all day I found a male employee attempting to enter my room. I asked what he wanted and he said there was a water leak in my room. After examining the kitchen and bath there was not a water leak anywhere. Not sure what his intentions were beyond that I was puzzled as to his true agenda. I am thankful I came back to my room when I did. There are many places to stay in Phoenix. My suggestion is to try somewhere else.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 31 October 2011

I was pleased with the photos of this property, but was disappointed for many reasons on arrival.
Even with our GPS we had difficulty finding this property. The road leading to the front office looks as if it is leading to a parking lot for
an adjacent apartment complex. It is a one-way road. Upon arrival we were informed that the room we had reserved was not available as the people who were in it previously had not left. We had booked a two night stay. There were no similar rooms available. We were then given what they call an 'upgraded' room. I respectfully disagree. Although it was also a two-bedroom two bath unit, it was facing the freeway and was upstairs in a two story building with no elevator. It was also at the furthest point from the main house and pool area which we had requested to be near. I called the front desk to complain and was told there was nothing they could do unless somebody in one of the other rooms we wanted checked out. We had booked the two bedroom two bath penthouse with loft with a much more open floorplan. This room was more like what you would find if somebody converted an old hotel and just joined three regular rooms together in a row placing the living room in the middle. The next morning I went to the front office and voiced my concerns about the room again. I was once again told that I should be happy since it was an 'upgrade'. I was then told to pack up all of our belongings and place them in the middle of the living room floor. That way if somebody did check out then they would send maintenance to move our belongings to the new room. I was so displeased with the room we were in that I was glad to do at least that. When we returned we found that indeed we had been moved. I was pleased with the accommodations the second night that overlooked the pool area.
The breakfast area at this hotel was lacking. Not nearly enough food and some weird spices were used to cook some of it. I would expect more consistency throughout the chain than this. I did witness the front desk clerk yelling at a homeless man who wandered in and began to eat.
Overall it was just ok. I would personally not choose to stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We booked a standard room through the hotel's website - $55 a night, best rate guaranteed. One king bed and double pullout couch for 4 people with a full kitchen, sitting area outside of bathroom. Comfy room was spacious for our group.

Breakfast in the morning had good variety including scrambled eggs and sausage patties. Outdoor pool with hot tub kept in good order. Even had a basketball net but front desk did not have a basketball.

Convenient location close to highway. Big mall close by. Restaurants close by - both sit down and fast food. Try the Boston Market only a couple of miles away. If you want a quite room, make sure you a second floor room in the back part of the property, not facing the pool area. Front part faces the highway and pool is just off of main building, so they will be a bit noisy.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 October 2011

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay here! Rooms are cute and spacious with a full kitchen and huge flat screen tv! I am a stickler for cleanliness and the room was truly A-OK! Complimentary breakfast is great! At check-in they offer coffees, teas and fruit which is a nice welcome! We stayed in July and its soooo hot in Phx during this time...the AC at this location was bumpn cooool and thats always a huge PLUS while in the Phx heat!! Staff is friendly and just overall a nice place to crash :)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zonagurl
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We really enjoyed it here. Location, rooms, staff, everything was great! We would go back. There's nothing to think. Just go for it. I definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Matt J
Reviewed 19 June 2011

My wife, 3yr old, and I stayed one night at this hotel before traveling to our vacation destination in Flagstaff. The room was spacious and very clean and had the following: Huge flat screen TV with free cable and on-demand purchase available, nice couch, small business area, free wifi, fireplace, full kitchen (refrigerator, microwave, stove, sink) with granite countertops, bathroom vanity area (granite countertops), clean shower/tub combo, nice decor, large comfortable bed, card access to the room door, and the air conditioner worked well. Check-in was a breeze, and they even had our last name on a placard with several other names as guest arriving for the day which I thought was a nice touch. The staff was very friendly. There is an evening light meal served as well as a hot breakfast in the clubhouse type check-in area which includes a soft drink fountain dispenser with several choices as well as a large flatscreen TV to catch up on the evening or morning news, weather, or sports. There were several tables and chairs in and around this area. There are drinks and snacks available all hours of the day for purchase that are located to the right of the front desk. They had a huge selection of pamphlets with activities for the area near the front desk which was very helpful. The pool was very clean and gated. They had a great play area with a slide and climbing area just outside our room location with a bench for us to sit on while our child enjoyed himself. This was a great convenience to allow him to blow off some energy stored up from the long travel time that day. The grounds for the hotel were immaculate, and we felt very safe once on the hotel property. We did go the back way to get to the hotel thanks to our GPS. There are some areas on the way that are not as nice as you would like them to be, but this was no different than any other city I have traveled to or lived in. The Hotel is right off I-17 north with easy access via West Northern Ave. then right on North 27th Ave. and right on West Butler Drive and finally right on North Black Canyon Highway which is the way we should have traveled. This would have been much more convenient, but our GPS had other ideas LOL. With the price match guarantee from Marriott, we booked this room for 46 dollars which was a steal! I loved this hotel and so did my family.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank TRAVELMATES2005
Reviewed 7 May 2011

I stay in hotels about 80 nights a year for work and often need to stay in Phoenix. This by far is one of my favorites in Phoenix.

The neighborhood is definitely in the hood, but even as a single female, I always felt safe and secure.

This is the cleanest hotel I've stayed in all year. The dishes and silverware were immaculate. Last year I stayed at a high end kitchenette hotel in Scottsdale and the dishes were so dirty it made me not want to touch anything else in the place.

Small workout room but the free LA Fitness down the street makes up for it. Just show them your hotel key. Breakfast is a feast of eggs, fresh fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, cereal, bagels, bread, waffles and sausage. Free. Free wifi too.

Beds are heavenly. Truly, the best nights sleep. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: May 2011