“Another great stay at Royal Palms.....”

Royal Palms Resort and Spa
Ranked #11 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This is the fifth year my now husband and I have stayed at the Royal Palms. We come from the east coast and love hiking and enjoying the Sonoran desert. We were not disappointed this year as the resort was beautiful, staff was diligent, kind and on top of things. We had not eaten in Tcooks the last few years for dinner (breakfast and lunch but not dinner) because we were not thrilled with it and I was nervous about the renovation after reading a few reviews. We decided to give it another try and we were really impressed. The food was good, the service excellent and we really liked the improvements/ updates (primarily cosmetic) the the mix up bar and the interior of the restaurant.

Also, in the past we always stayed in the montavista terraces and this time decided to try a casita. I went with the new renovated casitas on the side the pool is located. Again, I was nervous as we always loved our view of camelback from the terrace room and I had read negative reviews of the casitas. I called a week prior asking for as much of a view as possible and then when we arrived (in the morning) I again said that we would rather wait poolside for a room with a nice open terrace/ balcony than take something earlier. There was one available (early) but she understood my wants and decided it was better for us to wait.

We enjoyed the morning and early afternoon at the pool and received our room about 2:30pm (still ahead of official check-in). The room was lovely with a fireplace, better lay out (we thought) than Montavista terrace) and renovated bathroom etc. The patio out the French doors was lovely but faced away from camelback. I called and asked about a change (even for the next day) however, I realized the room we were in was really nice and we opted very happily to stay. We enjoyed the patio immensely and the room. We hike everyday and eat at restaurants with views so we didn't feel "short changed". We enjoyed each day at the pool and I had the best massage of my life at the spa (a woman from Romania- Natalie? can't remember) She was truly exceptional and I am hoping they have her name in my records for when I visit next year!

We go for a week and the times just slips by wonderfully but WAY to quickly-- until next year Royal Palms!

Room Tip: One note about the rooms: I have overheard or talked directly myself to quite a few guests who get u...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jenny Q

Reviewed 19 April 2014

If you're looking for somewhere with that personal touch, this is it. Everything you could want is there: sunshine, pools, a spa, a great restaurant and gorgeous grounds of lush vegetation. The scenery is so relaxing you may just want to sit outside your casita and read a book. Apart from the accommodations, the hotel is centrally located to Phoenix & Scottsdale.

Room Tip: They are all beautiful, but let your pocketbook be your guide. Winter prices are much higher.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Very nice boutique hotel, great spa. However, I was very disappointed in my experience with the pool. Had one day to spend there (less than 24 hours). Wanted to lounge at pool, had two spa services booked (500.00). Got a place at pool at 10:30 am, hung out until spa appt at noon, tool spa associate to let pool manager know i would be back in one hour. Regardless, came back to my pool area, my book and tote back were gone, someone else in my lounge chair. My belongings were just thrown on a cart in food service. Got them back and got a new chair at pool, but I have never been treated this way at any hotel (including high end four seasons, pennisula, ritz and even lower end!). I spend 1000.00 there for less than 24 hour stay and this was my how the hotel thanked me. It just put a negative spin on my stay there.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jenny C
sescobedo, Manager at Royal Palms Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Thank you for your review. We are happy that you enjoyed the resort and Alvadora Spa. We are extremely disappointed and sorry to read about your experience at the pool. This certainly does not sound like the standards we maintain and we have already followed up with the pool staff to avoid recurrence for the future. Please feel free to contact the manager on duty if you would like to discuss further. Otherwise, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 18 April 2014

This place is off the charts spectacular..
The entire staff, the setting, the feel, it's all there.
Close to everything either way you want to go on Camelback.
Phoenix friends told me 'that's where the Presidents stay when they come to town..'

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Bivo1
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My husband and I enjoyed our week long stay at the Royal Palms Resort and Spa. We booked the Valencia suite for the week, which was spacious, included a private outside seating patio, fire place, and modern bathroom. The staff were excellent (especially the Valet staff) and very welcoming. Staying there was like staying in paradise with romantic nooks, beautiful greenery, and a feeling throughout of peace and tranquility. We used the pool area several times and found the staff very attentive, the pool was clean and kept at around 75/ 80 degrees and a hot tub for use. Guest could also use the spa facilities such as the steam room which my husband enjoyed. TD Cooks was wonderful for breakfast but the one time we tried to go for dinner we were denied because it was completely booked. I would recommend making recommendations ahead of time. The location was perfect and close to many interesting activities in Phoenix. We found the spa good but not the best in the area. My only complaint is that the maid staff sometimes faced the shower head pointed towards the shower door, so a few times we got an unexpected spray of cold water in our face when we turned the shower on! On a whole I would highly recommend this property especially if you're on a romantic vacation. Oh! The concierge was also excellent and if you want deals on golf courses book through her!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ni D

We are delighted that you had a romantic getaway and babymoon. Congratulations! Thank you for your feedback about the shower placement when cleaned. We have passed along your comments to our housekeeping team to avoid this for the future. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I spent a long weekend here to rejuvenate after a grueling three months of work. The Royal Palms delivered on all points. The room was lovely, the pool was refreshing, the service was spot on, the landscaping is the finest I've ever seen, and the staff is very accommodating. T. Cook's, the restaurant on site, has a condensed but wonderful menu. There is a full-service spa there, too, for those guests who enjoy massages and facials. Don't miss the bar which has been recently remodeled. I can't wait to return next year.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Maggie D

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are so happy to hear that you were able to simply relax and unwind at Royal Palms. We look forward to seeing you again next year!

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I loved every minute of our stay here. The resort is situated in a fabulous location, the buildings and gardens are just magnificent and very well maintained, my room was gorgeous with a balcony overlooking a pool and the bed was so comfortable I felt I was floating on a cloud! I did not want to go anywhere else for the three days we were here because it was such a delightful place to be. So relaxing and so beautiful.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#21 of 75 in Scottsdale

Been to Royal Palms Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!