“Stunning”

Royal Palms Resort and Spa
Ranked #11 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Visiting the Royal palms resort and Spa is always special, the staff are the real stars of the resort. Whilst guests enjoy the spanish feel of the grounds and buildings, the staff work incredibly hard to exceed your expectations. So many stars, but worthy of mention:Sandy on reception, Mona the Concierge, Robin at the pool, and the super stars of the valet: Brian, Duncan, Evan, Kong, Alex, Sean and Bob. Already planning the next trip, sorry I almost forgot Kathy from housekeeping, thank you for always ensuring our room was serviced early each morning.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AUKTourist
There are newer reviews for Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

This place was amazing.. The perfect couples getaway!! Room was very nice and clean. Spa was great. Pool area was not huge but they do a great job of keeping seats open! Lunch place near pool was good! Lounge was very nice. Restaurant was very good for breakfast and dinner. Great!! Place we loved it!! Loved the fire pits around property!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank CMQRN
sescobedo, Manager at Royal Palms Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you for your lovely review! We are thrilled that you enjoyed all aspects of the resort including the rooms, pool, spa and T.Cook's. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

The thing I loved most about this hotel was being able to sit on my little patio and work on my computer with the birds and flowers around me and a view of Camelback in the distance. It was very bucolic. I was here for a conference and it was a great setting for a relaxed business event.

Pros
- Beautiful gardens with lots of birds and a view of Camelback Mountain
- Very spacious, clean room in good condition. My room had a separate sitting area, gas fireplace, and a super large bathroom with a separate stall shower and large soaking tub. Not a nonskid pad in sight! Based on conversations with other attendees, not all rooms have the separate sitting area and gas fireplace (I was a speaker at the conference so it's possible I got upgraded or maybe I just got lucky). I think all of the ground floor rooms have patios, however. I loved my patio!
- The staff was very helpful and friendly.
- The toast at breakfast was out of this world. Seriously, if you eat breakfast at the hotel, be sure to get the toast.
- Robes and slippers provided.
- WiFi and gratuities included in the resort fee. Also, at $10 a day, the resort fee seemed quite reasonable to me. I've been at many hotels that charge more than that for just WiFi.
- The fitness center was small but seemed adequate. The treadmills were modern and worked great once I figured out how to use them. Some large windows made it seem less of a cave than some fitness centers.
- Fountains in the common areas were very nice and the pool, while small, was nicely landscaped.

Cons
- My room was very dark. I think this is a problem with all of the ground floor rooms (which I believe are most of the rooms). Because people are walking by outside you room, you can't open any of the blinds, which means you have almost no natural light in your room. I'm sure this is also because it is hot in Phoenix and keeping the rooms dark helps keep them cool. But I don't mind the heat and I need a lot of natural light in my life, so I would have liked to have a skylight or two.
- I was disappointed that I couldn't sit in my room with my patio doors open. There aren't any screens on the doors to keep out the birds. The hotel had a note about keeping the doors closed to keep out the wildlife and there were enough birds flying around that it seemed like a valid concern. I would have liked a screen.
- The hotel is very pricey if you aren't there on a negotiated rate. I'm not sure the value is equivalent to the cost if you are paying the regular rate.
- Camelback Mountain is so close but so far. No way to walk there for a hike up the mountain for a workout.

Overall, for the negotiated rate that I paid as a conference attendee, this was a great hotel. Beautiful setting and a great staff. I can only hope that I get another chance to attend a conference here. But if I were paying $400-$500 for my room, I think I'd at least expect a free breakfast and a screen on my patio doors.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Momrath

Thank you for your review! We are happy to read that you enjoyed the beautiful setting and appreciate the invaluable feedback provided. We look forward to welcoming you back to Royal Palms again in the near future.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This resort is so close to Phoenix, yet behind the stucco walls lie gardens, hummingbirds, quaint architecture and a classy experience. The rooms were clean and really attractive, with crickets humming all night, hammocks to beckon and plenty of small private spaces. The pool was a bit hectic, although the staff was responsive in finding us a place to sit in the shade. The workout facilities were new, albeit a little small (note: it's on two floors). Attention to detail was great. We got a lot of great suggestions and help from Mona the concierge. She has a lot of suggestions, so please go see her. We ate like kings all over Phoenix - thanks to online restaurant ratings. Make sure you rent a car and so see the Montezuma and Tuzigoot ruins, as well as Sodona. They should be on your 'bucket list'! This is a perfect place for adults and couples. Only 20 mins to the airport.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Miley2007
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Absolutely stunning property. It feels comfortable, personal and regal. The history and charm is unique and unlike any other place in Phoenix.

The best part is the staff. They are approachable, eager to assist and accommodating. Robert at the pool took great care of us. I love that everyone even remembers your name!

Be sure to enjoy the evening outdoors by one of their fireplaces. The lounge is great for happy hour!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank MissRoseAZ
Reviewed 29 May 2014

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, the staff was helpful and friendly. We booked a Valencia Casita, which was small but reflected the intimacy of what we were looking for in a weekend away from the cares of the world. The room boasted a gorgeous four poster bed and a large and more than adequate bathroom area with a balcony designed for views of the gardens and Camelback Mountain. Imagine our shock when we wanted to sit out there in the early morning with our coffee and the patio and chairs were so riddled with debris and bird excrement that the thought of enjoying coffee with a view turned sour upon sight. We do not believe the patio had been cleaned in a very long time. This was a disappointment. On our second evening we sat indoors in two oversized comfortable chairs and watched a three inch roach glide across our sitting area like it owned the place. The following morning I was awakened by another roach crawling on me in that same lovely four poster bed. We were waiting for the spiders as their cobwebs were everywhere.

The beauty of the grounds and the attentive and friendly staff were eclipsed by the crawling insects and disgusting lack of cleanliness.

The pool area is small but inviting and staffed to accommodate its size. Food is pricey but good for poolside snacks.

Dinner at T Cooks was again friendly and our waiter was exceptional. The menu was eclectic, with anything from octopus to antelope. We felt it was overpriced for what we got, but the service can not be beat. We sat at an intimate little table outside and we did enjoy ourselves.

When we checked out the following morning, we showed the front desk manager our one roach in a tissue and she was kind and understanding, offering us a free two night stay after we receive the gift certificate in the mail. No so sure this addressed the problem.

The challenge is: will we be able to sleep or will we dream of bugs and other unsavory hygiene challenges...We shall see...

If you like tiny, intimate and pricey with a few four or more legged uninvited guests showing up to disgust you during your holiday, this may be the spot for you in Phoenix.

Now we did have a good time and we enjoyed the attention the resort offers its guests, but we shall see....with so many resorts in the Valley...we will probably go elsewhere.

Room Tip: We were in the Valencia casitas...small but intimate...patios just not maintained at all.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ging D

Thank you for your invaluable comments. Please be assured that we maintain the highest attention and care for our property and take your feedback very seriously. After your departure, we had an exterminator come out right away to address the concerns. Since we are located in the Sonoran Desert, Royal Palms is home to many different species of native wildlife and we do recommend to keep guestroom doors to the outside shut for this particular reason. Please accept our sincere apologies for the situation you experienced. We look forward for the opportunity to regain your trust in Royal Palms.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This resort provided an oasis of beauty and calm during our busy trip to Phoenix. We traveled with two six year olds who enjoyed everything from the pool, to the food, to the wonderful outdoor fires. Our suite was beautiful with a stunning view of Camelback Mountain. Extra touches (like glow sticks for the kids) from the lovely concierge made us feel welcome. The service was impeccable, particularly the pool-side staff. The landscaping is just too incredible for words. We'll be back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank GuestRelationsMohonk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#21 of 75 in Scottsdale

Been to Royal Palms Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!