“Unkempt ”

Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort
Ranked #42 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

We came to Point Hilton Squaw Peak to celebrate our young daughter's birthday. Unfortunately she got sick right before we were due to arrive and we were unable to get a refund from hot wire or the resort. She seemed better so we came anyway-- our mistake. She took a turn for the worse so we ended up spending most of our time in the room. We stayed in the north building. The bed was comfortable. The cleanliness of the room was OK but there were dead flies in the bathtub, so it seemed as though maybe it hadn't been cleaned in a while. There was a large chip in the bathtub-- not a huge problem, just unsightly. There was also a weird patch spot in the concrete right outside our door-- both of these things just added to the run down appearance, but weren't a problem. We had only one coffee cup the day we arrived (they had those single cup machines, so having a cup is kind of important) again no biggie, but evidence of cleaning staff lack of attention. Our sink wouldn't hold water and sometimes we had to turn on the shower first in order to get hot water--pretty minor.

Our big issue was the overall unkempt appearance of the pool areas. We went to the "river" area the first day. There were cups and trash all over the place and staff just standing around. When we were there it wasn't busy at all, but there were so many pieces of trash and wet towels lying around. All throughout the river itself there were beer bottles and cups in the bushes etc. (who would do that anyway??) We figured maybe it had been busy earlier but still the staff we saw weren't doing anything. The next night we went to the little pool within our complex. We were the only ones there, but there were empty cans and beer bottles everywhere. Wet towels on almost every chair. The bartender was just chatting with one guy when we arrived. We sat on the edge of the hot tub so our daughter could put her feet in (sitting in a sea of cans and bottles) for a while. The bartender came out after some time and said she was going to close, did we want anything? She was nice enough, but I thought for sure she would pick up the trash. Apparently that wasn't her job because she got us a drink and closed up shop. I cleaned up some cans out of necessity. We were there about an hour and some guy came around and started straightening the chairs. He sort of half-a__edly picked up some towels and some but not all the trash. It was about 7:30 pm, getting dark. I guess they just wait til morning to do the rest??

The amenities are great for families - - a bit run down - - but overall just what we were looking for (if my daughter had been well). But from what we saw, the staff is pretty lazy-- certainly not going an extra mile (or inch). To make things look nice. I would have given more stars if I hadn't witnessed staff standing around or exerting partial effort to clean up. Maybe we were just there on a bad week??

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
TeriAgostaGM, General Manager at Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share this review. Although I'm glad you appreciate the amenities we offer and the comfort of your accommodations, I am deeply disappointed at the lack of service you experienced. We thrive on exceeding our guests expectations; clearly, we fell short. Thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention and allowing us the opportunity to work with our team to ensure such issues do not continue in the future. We value your business and hope that you'll give us another chance to show you our true hospitality. Also, please feel free to contact us if you have any other comments or concerns.
Teri Agosta

Write a ReviewReviews (3,578)

Reviewed 7 March 2014

The hotel is a beautiful property that has lost its luster and has no food available if you're late. We arrived hungry and tired at 10 pm after traveling all day and having a delayed arrival. There was no place to eat and no room service available. So I wasn't feeling very happy but I was looking forward to a nice room. The location of our room was awful. An ugly, dirty stucco wall was across from our door, no view of any of the beautiful property. No front window ( because the only view was a wall that needed painting), the back sliding glass door had a view of the parking lot. The room had an unpleasant odor, sort of musty, that hit you upon entering, the furniture was dated and didn't look clean. There was a constant rhythmic dripping noise in the sink even with the stopper closed, the shower curtain rod was sagging and the shower curtain was dragging interfering with closing the bathroom door...while these things seem minor, they point to deferred maintenance and a facility not worthy of the Hilton name. It definitely needs freshening.Staying there was not cheap and I left after the first night. Upon checkout, I told the desk clerk that I was disappointed and he comped our breakfast. I didn't expect anything but I appreciated that he was responsive. Despite his kindness, I don't plan to stay there again.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank John I
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We were in Phoenix for the weekend and enjoyed two nights at the Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak. It was a great location to get to events in central Phoenix and Scottsdale. Rooms have outdoor entrances on two floors, with easy parking in front of the buildings. Feels more like staying in a condo than a hotel. Pools are an easy walk from any location. Fitness center was one of the best I've ever been in, including ongoing classes in the studio as well as up-to-date and plentiful cardio machines. The two of us had a small but clean and comfortable room on the second floor. We did hear the family next door, who had a bigger suite with access to the balcony (which we could not access). Service was terrific.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Stayed here for 10 days in February, and had a great experience. The resort is well-located and in a lovely spot. The suite was comfortable and clean, although the furniture could stand to be updated. The staff was very attentive, although the resort was not overly busy, so I can't comment on what it is like when the resort is full. The restaurants and shops in the water park complex were not open, but the flagship restaurant, Rico's, was open and was very good. There was not any bar service at the pools, but on the other hand, I practically had the pool to myself. The lounges were very comfortable and the therapy pool was excellent. The staff was very friendly everywhere I went, and the front desk folks were very accommodating when I had to extend my trip because of a cancelled flight.
My favorite part of the resort was the spa. From being met by Jolene at the front desk, to all the wonderful therapists/stylists (John, June, Desiree, Susan and Jan - thanks so much!) it was the rejuvenating experience I needed.
The resort also has a shuttle service to their sister resort at Tapatio Cliffs, and it is well worth going up there for at least a drink at the restaurant - the view is amazing.

Room Tip: The standard suites are quite roomy and nice. The studio suites are not centrally located and are r...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Karen R
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Food was inedible. Rooms were outdated and had foul odor. Of the two restaurants on property only one was open during a peak/full capacity week. No pool side service during the week. When walking from one location to the next on the property, you mostly walk in or looking at a parking lot. Across the street empty lot under construction and a horrible eye sore. There are only two redeeming qualities to this "resort" - 1. comfortable beds 2. staff was very nice (not their fault)

We held two corporate functions there and it was sub-par and an embarrassing reflection of my company. Under the Hilton brand I wouldn't have expected this low budget accommodations. More like a Best Western or La Quinta.

Room Tip: Not sure if that is possible here.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank K F
TeriAgostaGM, General Manager at Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Thank you for this review regarding your recent stay. Although I'm happy to see you found our beds comfortable, and team members kind, I am truly disappointed to know many other attributes didn't exceed your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies for not providing the level of hospitality you deserve. Your observations have been shared with our director of event services to ensure they are addressed properly. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Just got back from weekend getaway. Had our own villa. Layout and rooms were nice. No complaints there. But we had my wife and two children, arrived and had only 2 bath towels, 2 drinking glasses in the hole unit, pulled out the hideaway for the kids, Only sheets, no blankets, Only 1 pillow. Called front desk, 1 hour later, they showed up with pillow and blanket but no towels. Went to breakfast next morning at Hole in Rock, ordered dry cereal for my daughter, but they were out. This was Saturday morning mind you. Kind of early to run out of things don't you think. OK went to the pool. Could not get anyone to take a drink order all day. Had to go to the bar ourselves even though wait staff was there walking around. They were to busy talking with other staff. Pool tiles falling off in the pool and lazy river. The drains in each were so plugged up with leaves and debris you could not even see the drains. Went to dinner at the hole in rock at 5:00 Saturday night. Ordered a scotch and Stella beer. Guess what, they were out! It's not like we ordered anything special, this items were on the menu! How can you run out of anything the first day of a weekend? Went away from the resort on Sunday to do other things. Stayed all day Monday at the pool. Same thing that day, could not get anyone to take our order for food or drinks. How come management is not out checking their staff to make sure they live up to the Hilton Name? We chose this place because we have always been well taken care of at Hilton resorts, but this place definitely does not live up to the Hilton standards.Way to overpriced for what you get! We will being finding another resort to stay where they appreciate there customers and know how to show it.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank tbuk2

We appreciate your loyalty to our brand and want to make sure that you and all of our guests receive the consistent, friendly service you know and expect from us. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your time with us. We're working with our team to address your concerns and ensure such issues do not continue. We hope that you'll give us a second chance to provide you and your family a more postive experience.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

My family and I were delayed by many hours flying into Phoenix and did not get to the Hotel until close to 2am.

When we checked in Josephine welcomed us to the Hotel and made sure our room and reservation was put in good order. It was a welcome sense of hospitality after a very long day of travel.

We had a great time at the Squaw Peak Resort. Lots to do and We really enjoyed the Casita we stayed in. We have not stayed here in years but I thought everything looked at the top of its game. The Grass was so green the flowers in bloom, the new colors and paint and the updated lobby really looked great.

On our return trip home our flight was cancelled and we needed to stay an extra night.
The front desk once again took great care of us and ensured that we could stay in our room and enjoy another day.

Many Thanks to the staff for being so Hospitable and helping to take care of our family when our travel circumstances were not the best.

Great Staff, great Hotel and great grounds made for a Great stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family