“best value in Arizona, be a hero to your kids and book here”

Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort
Ranked #44 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Colorado Springs
“best value in Arizona, be a hero to your kids and book here”
Reviewed 4 January 2010

Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort has been the favorite Thanksgiving wee destination for my family the past ten years. There is so much good about this property.

1 - The main pool / River Ranch
The weather in AZ during this time of year is phenomenal, allowing us Coloradoans to enjoy the River Ranch's ample pool, lazy river, and mega slide. The River Ranch staff is overly accommodating with the games they host throughout the day. My kids always seem to win a smoothie or a cheeseburger. They even set up a movie projector on Friday nights - last time showing Pocahontas.

2- The semi private pools:
After the day of swimming, my wife and I relax in the over-sized room while the kids swim in the semi-private pool that is shared by only a few guest rooms.

3 - The staff and clean rooms:
The housekeeping and maintenance staff are invisible, but the room and property is always clean. I have to wonder if Disney doesn't secretly send their staff to the Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort for training.

4- The restaurant.
We are always impressed with the quantify and quality of food served at Hole in the Wall restaurant, and the friendliness of the staff there.

5 - The gym and spa
First rate with ample exercise equipment. Being adjacent to the nicest neighborhoods in Phoenix, I can tell the regular members are fit, in mind, body and financially. My wife enjoys the spa each time we come, and says this is her favorite place to get a massage.

6- Proximity to hiking and climbing.
We clime Squaw Peak each time we stay at the property. A relatively short hike from the room, about 2 1/2 hours round trip. Amazing we can be so close to the mountains ans so convenient to all the good shopping Phoenix has to offer.

7 - and most important, the HERO factor.
My five kids insist we stay at this resort each and every year. The management and staff give me every reason to come back; I am super-dad because of the Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort!

The best value in Arizona, maybe in the USA.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Nebraska
Reviewed 3 January 2010

I booked this hotel online and loved it!!! The staff here could give lessons on great service! They were all awesome! This hotel is very pretty, clean and there is so much to do right on site. The pools are clean and the water park is tons of fun. I would stay at this hotel again for sure! I want to take my son next time. I know he would love this hotel! There are also some great restuarants within walking distance. This hotel is a true Gem!!

• Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
Baltimore
Reviewed 2 January 2010

Although it's not in a "resort area" of town, the Hilton was perfect. Clean and spacious. The lazy river and hot tubs were great fun. We went when it was very empty but got a great deal because of it. If you want quiet, right before Christmas it's ideal. Lots of pilots and airplane crew seem to stay here. 15 minute from the airport. Lots of restaurants nearby.

New York, NY
Reviewed 1 January 2010

Despite a slightly run-down feel and fairly skimpy amenities, this hotel scored a home run with my kids, age 9 and 10. What do they care if the only restaurant in the place is reminiscent of an overpriced TGI Friday's? When would they notice the slightly stained upholstery and fraying carpet in our very large and otherwise comfortable, clean suite? Those acres of heated pools, hot tubs, water slides and the "lazy river" kept them entertained for hours. The kid's spa treatments got them out of the pool at least once a day for a reasonable price. They made friends with other kids. And the resort is conveniently located near a Cheesecake Factory and a bunch of other sort of corporate, suburban, fun places, which the girls were just thrilled with. The staff was super-nice and helpful as well. One morning, one of my kids had an asthma attack, and the front desk guy literally piloted me to the nearest emergency room via cell phone, like an air traffic controller (she was totally fine).

If you want high-end luxury, go somewhere else (we hear the Phoenician is nice that way). But if you want a totally reasonably priced place in a warm climate, that is decent and that your kids will LOVE, this is it.

North Oaks, MN
Reviewed 31 December 2009

We had a FANTASTIC time staying at this hotel. First, the location is the best. We like to be outdoors and active. The hotel is situated on a bike/running path which connects to Dreamy Draw Recreation Park. Dreamy Draw Park has many miles of running/walking, biking paths which are both paved, or natural mountain trails. We preferred the paved trails, but many prefer the natural so you never fee like the trails are crowded.
Next, the hotel is located just a mile or so from Squaw Peak. If you like to hike, this is perfect. You are there in minutes by car. Squaw peak is a good work out - I think the summit is about 1.2 miles. The path up is a good work out (we climbed 3 times) and you are always in the sun so even if it's cool out (50 degrees for us) you're plenty warm. The climb is moderate to difficult, but most people can handle it if you are careful. Definitly do it - the scenery of the entire valley is gorgeous! We also climbed Camelback Mountain during our stay which is about 3 miles from Squaw Peak. Camelback Mountain is much more difficult and challenging to climb. We saw people of all ages and conditions climbing both, but if you are not in good shape Camelback Mountain may not be much fun, and instead it will be a stressor for you.
More about the hotel - we do not have small kids, so the lazy river water area was not a draw for us. However, we met many people with young kids and talked to them. Everyone said they had a great time. The water was kept warm, so even with 50 and 60 degree weather the kids and parents used it and had fun. The hotel pools were warm water too, and the hot tubs were really warm. You could see steam rising from the water during the cool mornings and evenings. Also, there are so many different pools and hot tubs that we neveer felt it was crowded, or we didn't want to use them because of too many people.
The hotel rooms are big, with good TVs and room sizes. The staff does a great job of keeping the rooms and grounds spotless. As a matter of fact - the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. My wife and I travel quite a bit, and you usually run into a person or two who does not understand custumer service at hotels. Squaw Peak Hilton - every staff member was friendly, helpful, smiles and a hello, ready to help anyway they can.
My wife and I also like to exercise. The hotel Spa and Fitness center was the best. This fitness center also has local members who use it. It is the best, most up to date, state of the art facility I have ever used at a hotel. If you pay the extra $2.50 a day charge, you can use the fitness center, and tennis courts for no additional charge. This is a bargain, make sure you do it. It has free weights, machine weights, many top notch treadmills with built in TVs, stationary bikes and stair masters, exercise classes, steam room, full showers and lockers. The fitness center is a short walk (1 minute) from the hotel lobby - truly outstanding facility. It is big enough that again, even though many people were using it, we felt like we had it to ourselves. Never had to wait for a machine etc..
I strongly recommend this hotel for anyone who is visiting the Phoenix area!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
seattle,wa
Reviewed 29 December 2009

My husband and I took our son and daughter to Arizona for 2 reasons. #1 to purchase our new home and # 2 to fullfill a" Bucket List" for my husband who has been given 9
months to live due to liver cancer. I chose the Pointe , because when I lived in Az 25 years ago it was my absolute favourite place to go to.I was not dissapointed when we arrived. This resort is so lush and rich in natural beauty, you have to experience the awe
of getting up in the morning to the beautiful scenery all around you with Squaw Mountains around you and the incredible landscaping.The water parks are so much fun.
We made memories on this trip for my entire family to remember. Thank you for helping
us to do this.Your staff was awesome, your food was very good. My husband ate rattlesnake for the 1st time in his life. Our children had the time of their lives.And me , I
made a choice that added more memories to my past stays. Thank You!!!!

1 Thank dinamercille
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 28 December 2009

As everyone has noted, its a very family oriented place thanks to each room being a suite and the great pool. Our thanksgiving stay was fine- not too crowded by the pool, room and staff were just as they should be. Room is typical suite layout- two smaller than normal rooms with bathroom in between. Note that there is only a sink/small fridge. No microwave or freezer (at least not in basic rooms), so don't expect to cook anything.

We got a very good deal on this place and they seem to run specials fairly frequently. I would suggest it for families or for folks looking for a bargain higher end place. But you can will find much more romantic and luxurious hotels elsewhere in Phoenix/Scottsdale.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family