“Golf Holiday in Arizona”
Review of Legacy Golf Resort

Legacy Golf Resort
Ranked #68 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Our stay at the resort was very disappointing. From the time of check in through to our departure we ran into problems. We had booked a ten day stay at the resort and had requested a room on the 2nd floor with a golf course view. Upon checkin we were given a room on the second floor with a golf course view. When we went to the room we found we were given a room that was already occupied. Back to the reception desk where we were assigned another room but, alas, no view but we were told we would be put on a list so when one came available we would be moved....this never happened. As well, our golf coupons were not available when we checked in but we were told they would be delivered to our room in the afternoon. The golf coupons never showed up, we had to go back to reception in the evening and then had to wait 20 minutes for them to prepare them which they did so incorrectly, only one golfer not two, so they had to correct them again. They were apologetic.

Now, about the room, it is very dated but spacious. The room was clean. But, the walls are so thin you hear everything your neighbours say, including their snoring which kept my wife awake on a few occasions. The rooms are to be cleaned every four days, well, day 4 came and by the time we finished our golf round it was 1:30 when we returned to our room we found our room had not been cleaned. I then called to ask why the room had not been cleaned and was told they would do it right away. We went out again and came back around 6 and the room had still not been cleaned. I called again and told them at that point that it should wait till the next morning. They did clean it the next day. On day 8 when it was to be cleaned again I thought I would be proactive and call the reception desk at 7:30 in the morning to ensure that we were on the list for cleaning as I didn't want them to miss us again. I was told it would be taken care of. Well, after golf again, guess what, it had not been cleaned. I then spent another 20 minutes between calls to housekeeping and reception to confirm it would be cleaned in the afternoon. I also asked to speak to a manager who was not available. I did ask for a call back... We got back to the room again at 3:30 and the room had still not been cleaned. I called again and asked to speak to a manager and was told only the supervisor was available. She confirmed that she would speak to housekeeping and the room would be cleaned immediately. The room did get cleaned by 5:00 …. But I never did get a call back from a manager.
The day before we were to check out I called to ask for a late checkout as we golfed until 1:30 and would have liked to freshen up after our round. We were told that they could not confirm whether this was possible until the morning of checkout. I called back on the morning of checkout and was told that a late checkout was not possible. They did agree to hold our bags in their bell room and the reception agent that handled this for us was very helpful.
The golf course itself was in excellent condition and was a challenging track primarily due to the careful placement of sand traps and challenging fairway bunkers.
At end of day, given the issues we encountered and the quality of the accommodations we would not stay at this resort again, however, we would play the golf course.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank WFCalg
General Manager C, General Manager at Legacy Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you for sharing your impressions of your recent experience at The Legacy Golf Resort, W.F. I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed the resort’s golf facilities! No doubt, future golf enthusiasts will appreciate your detail.

Conversely, I want to extend my sincere apologies for the confusion surrounding your arrival. First impressions are key, and in your case it appears we dropped the ball. The ensuing lapses in Housekeeping services you speak of are totally unacceptable.
Please be assured, these issues are not indicative of our “Count on Me” culture and are being addressed with our leadership team.

Please feel free to contact me personally (michele.caminidi@wyn.com) if you would like to discuss your stay in further detail, and perhaps reconsider your decision to revisit The Legacy.

Regardless of your decision, we appreciate your taking time to share your review.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

We just completed our first and only visit to this property. While the grounds are lovely and the pool and golf course looks nice, the accommodations were lacking. Our first uncomfortable experience was when the guest welcome person kept insisting we attend a time-share update session. We were offered cash and an entry into a drawing for a new car. We said a polite NO at least 6 times until she finally gave up. Really bordered on harassment. The funny thing is that she kept saying it wasn't 'high pressured' but she was exerting all the pressure she could to get us to sign up. Not a great way to start your vacation. I kept wanted to say what part of no don't you understand, but didn't want to be as rude as she was starting to be. We finally got away from her. The second uncomfortable experience was the room where we stayed. It was a studio (all that was available when we booked) that was in need of an update. ALL of the furniture was broken down and uncomfortable. Sagging, lumpy bed, horribly uncomfortable couch and brick-hard arm chair. Not one comfortable place to just sit and read or to watch TV. Oh and the TV! Lousy analog cable with a handful of digital channels. Not one premium channel. I realize decor is a matter of taste, but the decor of this place is just bad. Peeling wallpaper in the bathroom, stained carpet. Ugly finishes. No cohesive design or colors. The black background wallpaper border that was applied at the ceiling edge of the wall did not go with anything. You can live with ugly decor, but the worst of all was the noise. You could literally hear your neighbors having normal conversations through the wall. Not raised voices, just normal talking. Unfortunately, there were raised voices, too. The first night we were awakened about 3:00 am by drunken people yelling and banging around. Yes, we could have called security, but who wants to have to deal with that in the middle of the night? I would not recommend this place at all, given how uncomfortable it is.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Runner1st
General Manager C, General Manager at Legacy Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Hello Runner1st. Thank you for your willingness to share your recent experience at The Legacy Golf Resort.

Because we are a part of Wyndham’s Vacation Ownership division, our Guest Guides do attempt to keep everyone abreast of new and exciting opportunities. Unfortunately, it sounds as if her enthusiasm may have been a bit over-the-top. Accordingly, your observations have been brought to the attention of that management team where your concerns will be addressed.

I’m sorry to hear that the overall décor and comfort of your accommodations was disappointing. It is always our goal to deliver exceptional hospitality and pleasing accommodations, and I regret that our product fell short of your expectations.

Your feedback will certainly help us improve our performance, and I hope we might yet have another opportunity to welcome you back someday.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

My wife and I had a 2 BR here last March and loved it so much, we booked again this year, and invited another couple with us. When we checked in, we discovered they had given us a handicap unit that had no shower in one bathroom, only a bathtub. It also does not have a dryer to go with the washer. I immediately went back to the office and requested a different room, but was told nothing could be done. Next, our air conditioner went out. I had to call FOUR times before it was taken care of, so we had no AC for 4/5 days of our stay. Terrible customer service here. Beware.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank martyn8677
General Manager C, General Manager at Legacy Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Hello Marty,

We were very concerned to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. While the month of March is normally our most populated time of year; it’s still unfortunate that occupancies did not allow for us to provide alternate accommodations!

Certainly, our associates’ failure to respond to your air conditioning issues is unacceptable, and not in keeping with our commitment to provide exceptional service -- all of the time to each of our customers.

I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you personally and express my personal apologies for this lapse in service. Please feel free to message me (Michele.caminidi@wyn.com) and I will be happy to call you.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

As Intrawest Resort members, we used a partnership with Interval International to book our 2nd week in Arizona, Oct. 4th to 11th, 2013 at the Legacy which is billed as a 5 star property. We were very happy and impressed with our 1st floor, 1 bdrm suite & full-sized kitchen. We were a 2 minute walk from the pool which we enjoyed because temperatures were in the high 80's to low 90s. The pool loungers were old and needed to be updated, but the towels were nice. Our suite was large, clean, well furnished and the king bed exceptionally comfortable. Nice linens and towels. The wi-fi and cable TV both worked well for us. The restaurant/bar had great food, service and value. The mid-week maid service did a good job. The facilities, the grounds and surrounding golf course property are beautiful and well maintained. HOWEVER, was surprised by the: cheap kitchen knives, the ($20.00) blender that leaked, and the 1 star BBQs. - Broken grates on one, missing flame arrestor on the other. I mentioned it to the front desk and maintenance. On the 2nd night we BBQ'ed again, nothing had been done. So, I pooled the parts so that at least one BBQ worked for both the 2nd & 3rd nights. We got the expected Time Share spiel at check-in. I politely said NO! They called the next day. I politely said NO! They called a 3rd & possibly 4th time. I just didn't answer the phone. The Legacy property is beautiful! But, the 3-star resort in Scottsdale where we stayed week # 1, was actually nicer

Room Tip: Request 2nd floor to reduce noise & flushing toilets. Request bldg close to pool; otherwise c...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to share your comments, Mr. MacCoy! It was a real pleasure to learn your accommodations were pleasing, as were your dining experiences!

Having reviewed your observations regarding the poolside loungers and small appliances, I completely agree – it is the ‘little things’ that make a difference! I’m pleased to share that 47 new lounge chairs were delivered just last month. New ‘unit packs’ (e.g., small appliances and housewares) have been integrated in 43 guest rooms thus far. Ours is an on-going effort, and I am confident your next stay will be much more enjoyable ... even exceed your expectations.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me personally (Michele.caminidi@wyn.com). We sincerely appreciate your patronage!

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We recently stayed at the Legacy the last week of February 2014. The facilities and surrounding golf course property are top notch. We stayed in a double room with everything you would expect in high end resort. We were fortunate to be in Phoenix with above average temperatures, which allowed us to make great use of the pool. The pool facility with a bar was great. The exercise room is much bigger than other facilities. The spa/message was very flexible to get scheduled. The restaurant/bar had great food. The gold course was in exceptionally good shape and well maintained and of course packed full of golfers; and this was not just an observation from the clubhouse, we did play golf. Other reviews abourt Wifi are true, service wasn't very good. Electronics are here to stay and the facility will need to upgrade their capabilities. I would like to thank resort manager, Michele Caminidi, for making our stay a great stay.

Room Tip: Building one; more specifically rooms 1201 and 1202, 2nd floor rooms which overlook the pool.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bigslimSiouxCity
General Manager C, General Manager at Legacy Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you, BigSlim!
On behalf of the entire Legacy team, we’re delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay!

It’s certainly fortunate that our unseasonably warm temperatures contributed to your enjoyment of our pool facilities and golf course.

We look forward to welcoming you back again!

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Firstly, I could not find reviews of the golf course at Legacy Golf Resort so here goes. We found the course well maintained with clean fairways and demanding greens. Putting at Legacy was like putting on a pool table - it was tough. The stimp meter must have been off the chart. The staff were friendly and courteous which helped us midway through our round. My major complaint was that our round was purchased at a discount coupon rate so when I phoned for a tee time, the earliest time was 2:44. I paid $59, which included a cart (and a beer) but you are paying for a twilight rate which in my mind is too expensive. We were paired up with another couple who attended a timeshare meeting which gave them a free round of golf. Again a ripoff because they could not complete the round. The starter recommended we repeat the front 9 as we made the turn because he said no one would be in front. That was a big help because we did manage to complete 15 holes. Overall a very nice course but avoid any coupons, time share gifts or anything like that.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank stefanop54

What a nice review, Stefanop!
We’re pleased to share your comments with Golf’s management and staff – in particular your starter, whose advice contributed to your enjoyment.

Your concerns regarding the discount coupon were thoughtfully presented and, I’m sure will benefit future visitors.

We hope to welcome you and your friends back again!

Reviewed 23 February 2014

My husband and I booked a 3 night stay at The Legacy Golf Resort and it was good for the price. We paid about $135 per night, and for a weekend we thought that was fair. There were great things and not so great things about this hotel. As follows:

Great things:
-Fridge in room
-Coffee Maker in room
-Stove in room
-Cable in room
-Close to a Target, CVS, and food
-Free parking for people staying in rooms...(parking at night was really hard to find, btw)
-Really pretty resort

Bad things:
-internet was TERRIBLE. Upon calling and asking the front desk about the internet problems, the response was " This has been an issue for some of our other guests, we're trying to fix the problem and will call you as soon as it's fixed." 2 days later-the problem was not fixed, nor did I get a phone call.
-It's a Time Share. When you check in, they want you to sign up for a presentation, and they call you constantly to listen to their presentation. When I tell you no, I mean no. It was pretty annoying
-I called to ask where the nearest vending machine was. My husband was sick and needed some beverages, but we had none. We were in Casita 10, far from the reception area. They told me I had to go all the way to the pool/tennis courts near reception area. The distance it was to drive to the tennis courts or drive to the CVS was almost the same. They should put some vending machines closer to the casitas, considering it's a drive to the tennis court area.
-Because our 3 night stay was considered a "short stay" no maid service was allowed to come by. When we tried to take out our own trash it was so over filled we couldn't even fit it in the trash can and it had to go outside the trash. Kind of gross.
-The parking lot was SO full when we came back to the resort at night that we had to park really far from our room. We came back with groceries (since the vending machines were so far away we decided to buy our things at CVS) and it was a total hassle walking back to our room
-Super outdated and old rooms. While the resort is beautiful the rooms are so tired and really need to be redone. They look like they were done about 20 years ago.
-At least a 25 min drive to anywhere you may want to drive to (Old town etc etc)
-Really thin walls-you can hear everything from the next door rooms.

If you're looking for a reasonably priced place to stay but don't need to be close to anywhere, and want to be left alone, this could be your place. If you're looking for fast internet, great service, and close to the hub of things, this is not your place.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AlexisK_V
General Manager C, General Manager at Legacy Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your stay last month, Rebekah.

I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your room’s appliance package. As part of Wyndham’s Vacation Ownership family, we constantly strive to provide “home away from home” atmosphere – both to our owners and guests. In fact, a rooms’ renovation project is slated to begin in 2015, greatly enhancing our family-friendly, condo-style appeal.

Conversely, it is always disappointing to hear when someone experiences challenges during their stay. Please be assured, we are working diligently with our internet provider to improve connectivity to all of our customers’ wireless devices. Your comments regarding trash service and the availability of vending machines are also appreciated. Everyone’s observations help us improve!

We do hope you will give our beautiful resort another try!

Resort Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Paradise Valley
Orange Tree Golf Resort
Orange Tree Golf Resort
#50 of 75 in Scottsdale

Been to Legacy Golf Resort? Share your experiences!