“What a beautiful resort.”
Review of Legacy Golf Resort

Legacy Golf Resort
Ranked #54 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersBronze level
“What a beautiful resort.”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The view inside the resort was amazing. The golf course was in excellent shape, and the members I golfed with were very friendly. The customer service was off the charts, and the deals were great. Very happy with my experience and excited to go back.

• Stayed May 2014
General Manager C, General Manager at Legacy Golf Resort, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
What a nice review, Sean …. Thank you!
It was a real pleasure to hear that our associates made you feel welcome and appreciated.

I certainly value your taking time to share your impressions … and look forward to welcoming you back again!

Resort Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We really enjoyed our Mid-May stay at the Legacy Golf Resort in Phoenix. Our studio suite was clean and comfortable, the staff always helpful. Our second floor view overlooking the golf course was pleasant. We really enjoyed the pool - it's shaped like an enormous "D" with an island in the middle. There are multiple shallow areas within the "D" so even when the pool was quite busy there was still sufficient area for children to play.

Room Tip: There is a building (Casita 1?) right by the pool that I wouldn't recommend staying in since the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Krysta V
General Manager C, General Manager at Legacy Golf Resort, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for your nice words, Krysta!

I’m gratified to learn how much you all enjoyed your visit -- particularly time spent at our family-friendly pool and spa facilities.
We’re flattered to be a part of your enjoyment, and hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back again someday!

Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

We have visited this location previously and are here for our daughter's graduation with family this week. We're disappointed in the service here. Check in and out with extended family seems to be something that staff doesn't know how to handle or accommodate. We're disappointed we used our previous points here compared to the wonderful Napa and Hawaii locations we've visited.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Cyndi R
General Manager C, General Manager at Legacy Golf Resort, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Hello Cyndi,

We’re disappointed to learn you and your family members’ interaction with our associates did not meet your expectations.

This is certainly not in keeping with Wyndham’s “Count On Me” service to which we hold ourselves accountable.

I welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further detail. Please feel free to contact me directly at #602.305.6337 or via e-mail: kelli.augustyn@wyn.com

Kelli Augustyn
Assistant Resort Manager
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

I visited this resort on a whim wanting to play some golf and get out of the New Jersey weather. I was there in January and I was treated like a King. The suite was excellent, very spacious and clean. I was on the first floor which I prefer, close to the pool and walking distance from the golf course which was in immaculate condition. This resort is also close to the Ravin golf course which I did not get a chance to visit. I will be returning to the Legacy again. Thanks guys for all you did to make my trip wonderful.

Stayed January 2014
General Manager C, General Manager at Legacy Golf Resort, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Hello Anthony,
It was a real pleasure to hear you enjoyed a great "Legacy experience"!

Our associates strive to always go the extra mile -- demonstrating our commitment and desire to exceed our customers' expectations. Thank you for letting us know you were treated like a King!

We look forward to seeing you again!

Genoa, Nevada
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We just spent a week at the Legacy Golf Resort in Phoenix. We had a very good time, and our one bedroom was comfortable and quiet. We were a little concerned getting there because some parts of the area look a little sketchy.
In the resort, you feel very safe and out of reach. The on-site golf course was a blast to play and in very good shape.
The main problem we had was at the pool area. The grounds are clean and well maintained, and there is a drinks and snacks bar which is convenient. My wife uses her wheelchair when she goes to the pool, and at the entrance gate there are only steps to get down to the pool. There is a ramp at the exit gate, but you can't use your key card to enter there. Also, if she was alone, the gate handle to get out is too high for her to reach. No bathrooms at the pool itself, and the ones available are a fair distance away if you have to roll there.
This was a Shell vacation hotel, and I heard that all their properties were purchased by Wyndham, so we'll see if there any big changes in the future.
This hotel is in south Phoenix, and a lot of fine dining is 20-25 minutes away.

Room Tip: Get a golf course facing room for quiet
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
General Manager C, General Manager at Legacy Golf Resort, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thank you, Jim, for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to Phoenix … we appreciate your feedback!

It was sincerely gratifying to hear you felt comfortable and enjoyed play on our signature golf course!

I do apologize for the difficulties your wife experienced while trying to access the pool area. I have asked our Director of Maintenance to investigate this situation and see what measures might be taken to facilitate easier entry. Our team constantly strives to exceed guests’ expectations; thus, your feedback is valued – helping us identify those areas needing improvement.

We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you and your wife back again someday!

Marion, Illinois
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

This is to all the potential visitors to this beautiful resort and to answer most of the negative reviews. My wife and I are currently staying at this resort and are very happy with the accommodations. We travel to Arizona at least once a year. Living in the Midwest brings with it long yucky winters. Spring in southern Arizona is wonderful. The warmth, sunshine, unbelievable blue skies, green grass on the golf courses and food/shopping are the draw. To preface this, I lived in the greater Phoenix for 3 years in the early 1990's. I understand the 100+ degrees in the summer months and desert landscaping. If you are considering a trip to Phoenix or Tucson, take these things into consideration. We love the desert and look forward to the things many consider negative. In all my visits and time living in Arizona, I have never seen a rattlesnake or scorpion. I know they are out there but they have never come before my eyes. So, the resort is first class. Grounds are beautiful. It sits surrounded by a lush golf course so very green and well groomed.

The way we came upon staying here was somewhat by chance. We had reservations at the Residence Inn in Tempe. A king suite for 6 night was going to be almost $1000. Reasonable by upscale Valley of the Sun rates. There are certainly more expensive places to stay. That averaged $140 or so per night plus taxes. By chance, we decided to try Priceline. If you are diligent with a little research, the name your own price deal can really work. I limited our search to one area and to 4 star properties. I low balled a rate of $62/night. They accepted it. Upon finding out the resort, we began to read reviews. So let's knock a few down. One complaint was high pressure sales pitch. Folks, this is a time share property. Of course they are going to try to sell you a piece. That's why they are here and it exists. But, guess what, they ask you if you want to participate. I politely declined. We have stayed in other time share resorts. A common practice is to call your room to entice you to come to their sales meeting. Just say no or unplug your phone, turn off the ringer, etc. All those commenters that complained about the high pressure pitch failed to mention the free lunch or breakfast they enjoyed and either the free rounds of golf or $100 American Express gift card they received. There is no requirement to attend, even if they imply it. Just say "No, thank you".

Thin walls and noise. It's a hotel. I've stayed in many hotels in my 53 years from budget to luxury. They all have thin walls. Wyndham is planning to correct this by 2015 in all their units. My guess is a little insulation would do the trick. But come on, noise? Turn your white noise on with your cell phone and sleep tight.

Hard beds. The king sized bed was wonderful. Yes, it's a firm mattress but has a nice pillow top to soften the mattress-human interface (how's that for high tech talk). We have a Sleep # bed at home. My wife is a 45 and I am a 65. We're all different with our bed softness desires. The mattresses are just fine. And no bed bugs that we could find.

Staff. They all seemed pretty helpful to me. We don't usually interact with front desk personnel much anyway though. Only minor complaint was early check in. We had an early flight. Even with killing a few hours, we could not get keys to the room until after 4 PM. They did give us a key to get into the pool area though and we could use the fitness area if we desired.

Location. We read a couple of complaints about location. I think priceline put the location as North Tempe. Boy, it's close. It is located just north of South Mountain kind of at the western edge of Tempe and the southeastern edge of Phoenix. Very close proximity to the airport with no constant overhead air traffic. I'm looking at South Mountain. right now. It's beautiful here. There is easy access to all the major arteries thru the greater Phoenix area and just minutes from restaurants, grocery stores, walmart, target, drug stores etc. It takes about 10-15 minutes to get to ASU and downtown Tempe depending on traffic.

I think I hit most of the negative nellies out there. Don't think twice about staying here. It's great.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank David G
General Manager C, General Manager at Legacy Golf Resort, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
David, you just made my day!

On behalf of the entire Legacy family, I want to extend heartfelt thanks for this objective review.
We realize, no one person or company can please all of the people all of the time … but we put forth our best effort nevertheless.

I note your mention of being a current guest. If your schedule permits, I’d appreciate the opportunity to meet you personally and reiterate our thanks. I can be reached directly at #602.305.5510, or via e-mail (michele.caminidi@wyn.com).

Thank you and we wish you safe travels,

CT
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This resort is located near South Mountain and a short distance from the airport. It is more a condominium rather than a concierge based hotel and with that comes pros and cons. The units are not cleaned on a daily basis and if you aren't a golfer, there's not much to do. The pool area is nice but in need of more shade options, more staff at the bar/snack area, and basic amenities likenapkins. There are 2 tennis courts, both in need of repair. They have racquets but no tennis balls for sale if you forget your own. The golf course is in great shape and an excellent layout - rounds are reasonable for guests of the resort. Staff at the course and practice facility were phenomenal. There are many stores and businesses in the area so it's easily to stock up on groceries, etc.. The resort has 1 restaurant, which is probably most comparable in selection and quality to Applebee's. Fortunately, there is a wonderful restaurant just north of the resort called the farm at South mountain. Lots of great, fresh and interesting food to choose from if you are looking for variety. The grounds are beautifully maintained and the landscaping and housekeeping staff were very helpful and friendly. The rooms were spacious and very clean on arrival. Sadly, the front desk staff is need of a major overhaul. We were with a large group of friends and family and nearly everyone in our party had an issue with how they were treated. Rude, snappy, abrupt, clueless and unhelpful pretty much sums it
up. There was another large group on the property as well who decided to host late night parties in our courtyard. We really didn't have an issue until after 11 pm and had to call security twice to get the group dispersed - and the offending party was given our room number so they knocked on our door at 11:30 to ask if they were being too loud - they were nice kids, but kind of an unbelievable breach of security. With a few improvements in staff and dining, this is a family friendly, conveniently located resort.

Room Tip: Ask about groups reserving during your stay. You really don't want to be in the middle of one.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 2DogsatHome
General Manager C, General Manager at Legacy Golf Resort, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear 2DogsatHome,

Thank you for taking time to share your recent experience with us.

I was delighted to hear you were so impressed by The Legacy’s golf operations, as well as the friendly attitudes exhibited by many of our associates.

On the other hand, I was very concerned to read of your impressions of our Front Desk staff. Our success at The Legacy has – and always will be – everyone’s “Count on Me” service promise and follow-through.

After speaking with our Guest Service manager and the head of our 24-hour Security detail, I am confident that none of our staff members divulged your room number to another guest. To do so is not only a breach of confidentiality each of our guests is assured of – it is a violation of Arizona’s Innkeeper laws.

I would sincerely appreciate having an opportunity to speak to you in more detail. Please contact me directly (Michele.caminidi@wyn.com) with your contact information and I will be happy to call at a time that is most convenient for you.

Again, thank you for your feedback. I hope you will give us another opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to deliver great experience.

Resort Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Desert Ridge
Paradise Valley
Orange Tree Golf Resort
Orange Tree Golf Resort
#51 of 75 in Scottsdale

Been to Legacy Golf Resort? Share your experiences!