“This is a drug hotel in a bad part of Phoenix.”

Knights Inn Fairground-Phoenix
Ranked #138 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Phoenix, Arizona
“This is a drug hotel in a bad part of Phoenix.”
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Im sure most of you have seen these kinds of places before. They are generally in not so nice areas of the city and cater to the seedier side of society. I was surprised that a nationwide chain like Knights Inn would allow it to happen to one of their places. There was a very visable sex trade going on at the property, with both the girls from the strip club nearby and the drug addicted street prostitues who frequent the area. There was blatant drug dealing going on. I heard one deal go down literally right outside my door. People in and out, doors opening and slamming all night long. In the drawers of the nightstand and under the bed there was drug paraphernalia that had not been cleaned from the day before. The mirror above the sink was gone.There were no towels. This was without a doubt the worst hotel room I have ever had in my life. I was in room 123. After reading some of these reviews, I think they have a nicer wing reserved for customers who make reservations. I did arrive after 1am without a reservatiion.So maybe that is why. To sum it up, if you are familiar with the late night inner city drug and sex scene you know that it is best to avoid those areas whenever possible.There was not a point in the 1 night stay that I was afraid for my safety. That being said, I would not be confortable having my wife/gf here and absolutely not on kids.I saw broken meth and crack pipes and some syringes in the parking lot. Spend the extra 15 or 20 bucks and stay somewhere else. Although I'm sure they do clean it up for major events like the Final Four and Super Bowl.

Room Tip: Dont accept room 123!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
9 Thank acranger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 25 October 2011

I was passing by Phoenix and decided to go to the State Fair near downtown area. This hotel was very close to the state fair and was reasonably priced, so decided to stay here. The room was clean and well kept.
Small issue: I did see a street bum walking on the property and was concerned about theft, upon calling the front desk, he immediately took care of the situation.
The hotel was decent and will stay here again if I come through Phoenix again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Farley-Nicholas
Luck, Wisconsin
Reviewed 28 March 2011

I have read some other reviews and it may be that current owners are trying to improve the place slowly. The room and sheets seemed to be clean, thank goodness. The mattresses were poor. The truly disappointing issues: my bedspread had holes in it. It should be discarded. The love seat in the room shared by my mother and sister was badly stained and torn in several places. If this piece of furniture were placed on the curb, I don't believe anyone would stop to pick it up. The ceiling shook in my first floor room when the guest above walk around - so much so that I was not able to go to sleep until the other guest finally settled down. The "breakfast" was comprised of so-so coffee, juice, and a 6-pack of stale muffins.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Amjay56

Travellers are raving about these Phoenix hotels

Tucson
Reviewed 11 March 2010

I had to stay here one night on a four-day business trip, because the Super 8 which was closer to my conference was booked on the Monday I needed.
I just wanted A CHEAP and fairly convenient place to crash after a long meeting. I had some trouble at first, as when I arrived there was a "back in 20 minutes" sign on the door. Not good when it is 4:45 in the afternoon and one is wiped out from a day of traveling and sitting in a meeting! I decided to take a cruise into the neighborhood to look for a bite to eat. Bad neighborhood, quite "ghetto" in feel, and the only place to eat anything was an AM/PM. When I returned, the sign was down, but it took the clerk several minutes to appear, and he then asked me to wait a moment.
When he returned, he seemed a bit slow and confused, but at least was friendly and sociable. I finally got the room secured and off I went. I was very happy it was on the ground floor and reasonably close to my car as the hotel seemed a bit secluded by the freeway, with a spotty neighborhood nearby.
The room was standard, no frills, which was fine. I did have a non-smoking room but you could tell someone had smoked in there. Fairly clean but not spotless. Some noise in the parking lot at times at night, and I wound up having to secure the curtain with a hairclip, as it did not close completely in the middle. The noise I took care of by turning up the TV.
Speaking of TV, they have satellite. When I first turned it on, the Playboy Channel was on. I was afraid of being charged for this later, but so far so good on that.
They do have the internet, and it did work well for me, so no problems there.
Overall, for a one night crash, this is not bad. Do not expect to get any nourishment from the "continental" breakfast, as mentioned by others. This consisted of coffee and a cheese muffin that was stale. I was glad that the conference I attended offered a "real" continental breakfast, for sure!
When I went to check out, there was again a sign on the door "back in 10 minutes" which makes me wonder how often this happens?
I would recommend, as I said, if someone wants a cheap and fairly reasonable place to lay their head, but not for an extended stay.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Tucson
Reviewed 18 April 2009

I got a line item receipt and there was a charge for a safe. I am concerned that the price on the internet was $151 and the actually price was $208 for four nights. Check the fine print on the internet (additional charges) and check your receipt. At this price there are better hotels nearby. Lots of signs indicating that the clientele at the hotel is not necessarily very nice and that the management is having some problems with them.

Internet (Hughes Direct) was 56K when it was working and there were a couple of nights when I could not get e-mail. Friendly people but the manager argued that there was nothing wrong with the internet but I got the feeling he knows there is a problem but there is no solution available. Internet Cafes are down on 7th Ave if you stay here.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank GIS_Traveler
Port Jefferson, New York
Reviewed 13 April 2009

I stayed in this property during Martin Luther's King holiday weekend in January. I walked from downtown Phoenix to the hotel. It took me 50 min. The route was safe. However as you approach the motel you get this "weird feeling" that you don't wanna walk much around there because maybe something bad will happen. Again its not unsafe - I walked even at night and nothing happen. It looks like an industrial area. No shops around. A convenience store is a few blocks away ~ 20 min walking. The property itself is excellent. Trust me this Travelodge is good.The building was in good shape and it has a nice swimming pool. While walking in the hotel, in contrast to the surrounding areas, you get a good feeling. Little noisy however. There is train coming by that makes some noise.The hotel clerks were fine also. A Chinese family operates it. I asked them some info about nightlife in Phoenix and they were willing to help me. Rooms were clean. TV was also entertaining: You could watch adult movies for free! Breakfast was average. Typical like any Travelodge. Note however that even though they claim wireless internet, internet WAS NOT available in my room (or any room?). In summary, this place is a good hotel in a not so perfect area. Given the price however I think its a good choice. The only think that I didn't like was that there is nothing around there (at least to the best of my knowledge).

• Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank grevo77
explorers09
Reviewed 27 February 2009

We were on a quick business trip to Phoenix. We had to pay up front upon arrival for the 2 nights we were staying. Only a receipt was given, so no line items to compare. Queen Size bed was more like a Full/Twin. We were in a rush when we checked out, and didn't notice on the printout copy that we were charged daily room safe fees. Upon calling Travelodge, we were told that they have to charge the fee. We did not use the safe, and it was not noted anywhere on our original booking info. They refused to refund the room safe fees. We will not stay at this location again. We did not feel welcome.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business