“Not up to the 21st Century”

Ranked #88 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Camas, Washington
“Not up to the 21st Century”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

While a pretty nice hotel it has many red flags about it. One is the location; I-17 freeway is about 25 yards away and makes sleeping a "hit and miss" proposition. When we arrived, there was only one chair in the room and one lamp was burned out and had to have a bulb replacement. The second chair came in after we notified the front desk. The "free breakfast" consisted of cold eggs and sausage or country gravy but was adequate for taking the morning edge off. The advertisement on the Internet was a little deceiving because it presented a nice sofa, which the room did not have. The staff was very pleasant and timely in cleaning the room each day and overall the visit was pleasant. Recommend this hotel to stay at, but avoid the shopping center across the freeway. Looks a little rough. Proceed on Peoria Avenue toward Goodyear and Surprise for shopping.

Room Tip: Check out the room before checking in
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Tucson,AZ
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Decided to stay overnight in Phoenix with my kids ages 8 and 10 on a whim. We were going to have to come up from Tucson on Sunday to pick up my husband so we just decided to make a quickie trip and find a place to swim and take a day for us. We came to stay here not as my first choice. I had booked through that Negotiator site and you think I would've learned my lesson the last time but I didn't. The first place's idea of concierge service is having the roaches great you at the room door.

Anyway, I hauled myself and my kids outta that place quicker then you know what and booked this place through another site and was extremely happy. We checked in on Saturday early evening and I wish I could remember the gentleman's name that checked us in but it escapes me. He was very nice, polite and amazingly apologetic for the other hotel which isn't even in your chain! Check in was a snap, quick and painless. Explained the pool hours, location and breakfast and it's location. Around the corner and two doors down was our room. So close to the pool and check in you would think it would be noisy. Not at all. Didn't hear a thing.

Opened the door to a clean smelling room. A large clean smelling room with a clean bathroom. Nice cupboards and mini fridge and micro. Stocked nicely with tea and coffee. Living room area was spacious and clean as well. Couch looks a little tired and could use replacing but still ok. The bedroom area. Beds were a dream! Nice fluffy pillows, soft comfy blankets and can I just say I would've loved to strap that mattress to the roof of my car and bring it home. So great!

Off to the swimming pool with the kiddos, while it is small it is just fine. No overly chlorinated smell that you sometimes get from indoor pool areas. Plenty of chairs to relax in and a nice area just outside of the pool for fresh air. It was a little chilly but it's Phoenix so hopping in a cool pool is a nice thing. I did enjoy how the hours of the pool required adults to be with their children after 10pm. Some places have no specifics and some parents tend to use that as a babysitting service.

Breakfast in the morning was normal but still a steps above stale bagels and day old bread. Waffles, eggs, biscuits and gravy, cereal, the usual assortment of pastries. The only down side is the juice machine was out of order. Otherwise, the only negative is that the trash was over flowing.

My kids loved it and asked if we could come back again soon. I would not hesitate to book here again. Thank you for making our impromptu trip a success after a rocky start!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 12 May 2014

there's plenty of nice perks compared to other places out there. i'm kinda surprised this hotel doesn't have more stars lol.. anyway, my husband and i originally stayed here may 1st, 2013 for some days to celebrate our honeymoon. we came back to this hotel just yesterday for 1 nite cuz of stuff going on in our house so we needed an overnite stay. and for the sentimentality, we chose this place :) it's in an odd place IMO but there's a short row of restaurants right in front of it, one of em being outback steakhouse lol, we ate there last yr.. so part of y we stayed w/ a choice hotels brand is cuz i'm a member and we had the points for a free nite. so this was a free stay minus the food we got lol. u walk in and it's a decent cozy entrance/lobby. the front desk counter is crazy high tho which is awkward for my 5'3 self. the girl was new and didn't know how to do choice rewards free nites :/ so that took her a few mins and i guess there was no one she could ask for help. idk, i mean if ur new, wouldn't it be smart to be trained on how to do various types of check in's, esp the free nites ones? lol.. ah well, she caught us at a particularly patient time considering the struggles we were facing. so it's fine, just saying something for the staff to consider doing for their newbies..

we were supposed to have a 2 queen beds room (not a suite), not handicap accessible. but cuz she gave us our choice of which floor, we chose 1st, we ended up w/ an accessible room w/ the roll in shower, no problem.. the only 1st impression issue we had was when we walked into the room, it had the smell of cleaning supplies lol and that smell stayed (u only notice it when u open the door and walk in lol, not while ur in there).. i mean it's no big deal, we'd rather it smell like cleaning supplies than something 'bad' lol.. also, last yr we experienced that the tv gets fuzzy/static when it's changing channels. we reported it last yr to the front desk who simply said it's just a problem they can't personally fix.. but idk, i thought that 1 yr would be enuf time to figure this out but sadly, even tho it's a great sized HD flat screen tv (u can turn it btw for if ur at the desk/table which i did a lot, other places have the tv locked in place and whatnot), so yeah sadly the static problem is still there lol... no biggy tho, the channels all still worked and were crisply clear, which is more than i can say for their sister, the clarion in las vegas (where we stayed a few weeks ago for our 1st wedding anniv) that still has the old box tv's and bad reception where some channels don't even work. so w/ the breakfast, this time around, they offered original flavor waffles, so i jumped at that, last yr it was flavors i wouldn't eat.. the 'cheese omelette' deal they had, the pieces were rubbery and we didn't like w/e they use for cheese. my hard boiled eggs tasted better. lol my husband said they must be leftover from the beginning of breakfast time.. but i did like the juice selection they had :), i got glasses of all 3 (the 4th is water), lemonade, orange juice, and apple juice cuz they happen to be the only juices i enjoy lol... the breakfast attendant was really nice and quiet, he was very attentive to keeping everything clean and neat, which i appreciated. there was also a tv in the corner, lol it was on some strange channel this tv addict didn't know existed! the bathroom we had was a nice size since it's an accessible one, the faucet is crazy close to the sink lol so i kept bumping my hands washing my hands but w/e. i wonder how a person in a wheelchair would deal w/ this tho, if the faucet is far out enuf for them to reach? the walls are also really thin so u can hear clearly other rooms' convos lol so keep it quiet if u wanna have a private convo (or do other stuff)! this also means u hear the vaccuuming in other rooms and above u. we were on the 1st floor but i personally didn't hear any highway noise, but that may be b/c of the a/c being kinda loud lol. my husband says i was killing it by having it on 70 and it kept turning on and off constantly, *shrugs, this is hot as heck az! lol... lol u even have an option for pillows cuz they put soft pillows in front, and firm in the back. the bed is nice too, all white fluffy, thick comforter (idk the specific type) but it's better than the typical older versions m/hotels usually have. and no stains or nothing considering it's all white bedding lol. but i normally struggle w/ sleeping in a new place the 1st-2nd nites, but the beds must've been damn comfy enuf or something cuz i slept damn good lol, even took a nap after the breakfast b4 checking out at 12... there was a good supply of towels, which some hotels slack in. there's also a room safe, ironing stuff, guest laundry available, a drink vending machine for $1.50 and ice machine, the free continental breakfast as i mentioned, and can't forget the dorm-size microwave/fridge in every room, not every hotel offers the microwave and fridge!

so to sum up, it's all a mix of great perks, and a few lil issues they could easily change and work on if they chose. but yeah, the staff there are all really friendly and kind that we saw. but like i said on the comment card, i'd happily have stayed there longer if we could've lol. technically we could've stayed longer cuz we have the free nites points, but we had to get back home..

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marciax3
Oklahoma
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The staff assisted our family with personal attention. We had very nice rooms and the price was right. One family member suggested future stays will include a request to stay away from the rooms with electrical or water heater noise... However, the family will return! Thank you for your kindness during that difficult time.

Room Tip: Ask for quietest room available...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
CSPhxGM, Front Office Manager at Comfort Suites Phoenix North, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind words and review of our hotel. We understand that the reasoning for your stay may have been less than ideal but I am pleased to hear that my staff was able to accommodate you and make you feel welcome and at home during your visit. Regarding any noise issues you or your family members may have experienced, I can assure you that I will be sure that my maintenance staff takes a look into this so that we may avoid any inconveniences in the future.

Once again, thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you and all your family on your next visit to the area!

Jose Armijo
Front Office Manager
602.861.3900
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I selected it for the location and price. I would consider this an older hotel that is showing its age with a lot of competition around it. The room was spacious but lacked a comfortable chair or couch. The TV channels very limited, the Internet access was spotty and the tub faucet was corroded and leaky. The have a very small pool, and small work-out area. room had a small fridge and microwave. They serve a decent breakfast, starting at 6am. easy access to restaurants and an amusement park and mall. I would probably seek another hotel if I were to stay in this area again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
CSPhxGM, General Manager at Comfort Suites Phoenix North, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We understand that your time is valueable.

It is unfortunate that we were unable to meet your expectations. We take all feedback seriously and see it as an opportunity to improve our service. Your survey will be shared with the maintenance department to begin our upgrades and projects.

Lyn-Marie McKenny
Pueblo West, Colorado
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights. Good location. Very helpful and friendly staff, with the exception of management that did not respond to the comment card that I left at checkout. The room was nice and roomy. Amenities included refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker, ironing board, table/chairs, sofa, and comfortable bed. Bathtub badly stained to the point that it looked dirty. Front desk ensured me that the tub was clean and that they had plans to resurface the tubs. One morning the room was cleaned, but housekeeping failed to replace our towels. Breakfast was good, with eggs, meat, waffle maker, cereal, pastries/bread/bagels, yogurt, fruit, juices, coffee. Outstanding breakfast attendant. Seating area was very small for the size of the hotel. Coffee and ice water always available in the lobby. Indoor pool area was not clean. I am a Choice Platinum member and stay at a lot of Choice hotel properties. The pool area was the worst I had ever seen. Sunday morning there were empty cups and wet towels throughout the deck area. Deck tile had mold in many areas. Pool had a 3" dirt film above the waterline around the entire pool. Common areas were very nice, with the exception of the badly worn and soiled carpet outside of the second floor elevator. Nice patio area outside the pool area. Exercise room with treadmill. Once the maintenance issues are resolved, this hotel would be very nice and could be moved up from it's 2.5* rating to a 3*. May stay here again, but will not use the pool until the cleanliness standards are addressed.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
CSPhxGM, Front Office Manager at Comfort Suites Phoenix North, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Allow me to take this time to first, thank you for your recent review of our hotel. My staff and I take pride in the services we offer to our guests and definitely take every comment, good or bad, seriously so that we may properly address any issues our guests may encounter.

I would like to apologize for the appearance and cleanliness of our pool area during your stay with us. I have brought up your comments and concerns about the area to my staff so that we ensure the area is kept clean and presentable for all of our guests who wish to enter the area and enjoy a nice swim or relax next to the pool.

We hope that you will give us another chance to turn your previous experience into a good one and stop by to see us again on your next visit to the Phoenix area.

Once again, thank you for your review and comments, and we hope to see you soon!

Jose Armijo
Front Office Manager
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed here for one night and the hotel staff were very friendly and I realize it's not their fault. We went to our room and the sofa cushions were all buckled. My husband went to sit on it and just about went down to the floor. It was ripped, dirty and we couldn't use it. Also the room itself was not very clean. We are traveling for two weeks and out of all the hotels we have stayed in during this time, this one was the worse.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for submitting your review. Your time and feedback means a lot to us at the Comfort Suites Phoenix North. This gives us the opportunity to make improvements to ensure that we are delivering superior service.

We do have projects in the works, but unfortunately during peak Spring Training Season, we aren't able to complete them in the timely manner we would desire to. This, however, doesn't make your recent stay with us any better. For that, I apologize.

I do hope that you might give us a chance in the future to see all of our upgrades and replacements.

Lyn-Marie McKenny