“Hyatt Place is a great chain, but not this location!”

Hyatt Place Phoenix - North
Ranked #42 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
El Paso, Texas
“Hyatt Place is a great chain, but not this location!”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

This is the first time that trip advisor has steered me wrong..

I've stayed at many Hyatt Place properties in the past and will do so in the future, but never again at this location. The room's carpet is dirty and sofa looks worn down with stains as well. The housekeeper didn't throw out our trash and left our towels on the floor instead of replacing them (guess I should have expected that since she didn't clean the bathroom at all!). In addition, we left our glasses out so they could be replaced, but instead we found them right where we left them..

All Hyatt properties that we have visited have offered breakfast, but the choices at this location were somewhat limited. Not really an issue, but the choices can be a let down when other properties offer "artisan sandwiches."

The hotel itself is in a decent location but if your room happens to face the interstate then expect to hear traffic all night. We didn't mind this too much as we are using the noise as white noise.

Think twice before booking a room here.

• Stayed March 2014
Nicholas R, Manager at Hyatt Place Phoenix - North, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I am deeply sorry for your experience at our location. We take cleanliness very seriously and under no circumstance should you have experienced what you did and again I am very sorry for this. Although it is no excuse, we do have some new Housekeeping staff that we have been training this month to keep up with our extremely high demand during Spring Training. I will definitely share your comments with them and use this experience as a coach tool with all of our housekeepers. I also apologize that our breakfast was not what you expected. We do offer the artisan sandwiches during the week but switch to the scrambles and sausages on the weekends. Again I do apologize for your experience and promise to take all aspects of your concerns up with the housekeeping and gallery host staff. We do hope that you will stay with us again and give us the opportunity to show you how our hotel can improve from your suggestions. If you have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Cade A.
Assistant General Manager
602-997-8800

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Turkish first
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I travel with groups of teens and I have stayed a many, many hotels. I will be coming back to the Hyatt Place Phoenix - North because they've done everything right for me and my group. The reservation process was easy - because Robert, the sales manager, helped me arrange the necessary paperwork, and got my rooms held at a competitive rate. When we arrived, the people at the front desk (Cade, et al.) were very friendly, and got us checked in quickly. The rooms are huge, clean and comfortable. All of the employees have gone out of their way to make sure that all our needs were filled. The kids have enjoyed the breakfasts - there is a good variety for all my students, from the carnivore to the vegetarian. Most of all, everyone has been really, really genuinely friendly, and it's those little touches that count. I will definitely be back and I will recommend this place to all my friends.

Room Tip: The rooms away from the freeway are a bit quieter, but noise hasn't been a problem at all.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Draper, UT
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We were overwhelmed by the service and friendliness of the staff when we checked in. Both my wife and I commented about it on the elevator ride up. They just made us feel so welcome and after a long day it really made an impression on us. The room was very nice, impeccably cleaned and prepared, as you would expect from Hyatt. We really enjoyed our brief stay here, and will certainly return. If you have are towing a trailer there is also abundant parking here, which is a plus. It's also super easy to get to the freeway, so nothing but thumbs up from us on this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2014

First off the beds were wonderful. The Sealy Posturepedic Pillow Top mattress and comfortable pillows allowed for a restful sleep. My son who has back problems agreed. Unfortunately the plumbing runs through the wall behind the bed and every time someone in the adjacent room uses it, it disturbed us.

The bathroom lay out design left something to be desired. It was indeed a "water closet". The door cleared the toilet by about two inches which made the user have to enter completely, get next to the shower, and then close the door. The shower head was of the type that conserved water (sprinkler) and therefore offered reduced pressure. Not for me or my spouse. A glass shower wall with a 12 inch wide door (?) was all that kept water from splashing to the floor past the enclosure. You can guess what happened.

The seating area was fine for watching TV and the area with the desk and fridge were a good touch. I would have given up some of the area in exchange for a larger bathroom.

I asked if the hotel had a shuttle to the airport and was told it was for a five mile radius. Since we came in through Sky Harbor Airport, we were out of luck.

The complimentary breakfast was good and was well attended by guests, offering a variety of choices.

The staff was helpful, courteous and friendly. I guess they got rid of the person that had a bad attitude mentioned in a previous review.

Finally, the reservations were made through hotels.com and consequently could not be cancelled (No fault of the hotel). My son flew in from Atlanta and could not get out for two days because of the ice they experienced there. He took a hit on the charge for two nights because of that. I would recommend making your reservations through the hotel for that reason. At least you won't be paying for something that you couldn't use through no fault of your own.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Anthem, Arizona
Reviewed 26 January 2014

The rooms are spacious -- bed area, bath, dressing area, small living room, & mini-kitchen. A large screen tv can be seen from both the bed and the living room couch. The beds are very comfortable, but the pillows are very soft and smooshy, so take your own if you like a firm pillow. The rooms and public areas are very clean. The breakfasts are very good, and the hot foods are kept hot. The staff is exceptional. We've stayed in "swanky" hotels all over the world, and the staff at the Hyatt Place (which, by the way, was filled to capacity) was as friendly, helpful and knowledgeable as any.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HMKanthem
Green Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We've stayed at his hotel before and our experience then was absolutely wonderful! Unfortunately this experience was deplorable. Upon arriving on Christmas Eve for the evening, the front desk clerk had such a poor attitude and she was completely unable to look us in the face. She was so busy looking at her computer and asking the check-in questions that a robot could've successfully checked us in. Her lack of sincerity and lack of customer focus was simply awful. We arrived at our room and spent a quiet evening. When we went to take our showers in the morning we noticed the bathtub in our room was filthy. Unfortunately we were pressed for time and believed housekeeping would be in the room after we left, assuming the tub would be cleaned then. Unfortunately upon returning late Christmas only to discover that not only were our glasses not resupplied, but the bathtub was still filthy. Taking my clue from the sign on the elevator I went down to the lobby to get ice and hopefully glasses. Only to find that the same surly front desk clerk from yesterday was now behind the bar. I asked if I could get some ice and she said, "you could" as if I was inconveniencing her again. I also explained that housekeeping hadn't left us glasses and asked for some glasses. She neither apologized for the missing glasses, but in her own inimitable way, turned, grabbed two glasses from behind the bar and placed them on the bar for me. I would suggest that this particular employee should leave the hospitality business because she certainly doesn't understand the definition of hospitality. Unfortunately we know this property has done much better, but an awful experience like this will certainly make us think twice about returning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the east side of the hotel, opposite from the freeway.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Greg S
Midland, Texas
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Just stayed for one night, but beds were comfortable and the staff was friendly. They were able to give our family connecting rooms which was nice. Plenty of space available in the room. Will stay at a Hyatt Place again! :)

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family