“They do not keep their word” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hyatt Place Phoenix - North

Hyatt Place Phoenix - North
Ranked #45 of 173 Hotels in Phoenix
Cincinnati
“They do not keep their word”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2008

I knew my husband would be in this area and called in advance to book his room. I read all the reviews and felt this was a pretty good hotel and they told me no problem setting him up in a smoking room. Ok..I know many people do not like smoking...but.. a lot of us still do and if we pay for the right to do so...at the last minute as you are standing there they say ...no smoking...that is wrong. I even called this morning and spoke to them to make sure he would have NO problems checking in. He had problems and they I believe felt he was struck there...within minutes I switched him to a better property and they couldn't have been nicer. This new property even had a pool and were in a much better location than the Hyatt Place it is rather out of the way...and seemed much older. They have some really great resorts in Phoenix and even some that really cater to families...take your time and look around. I must say...Gold Rush Transportation is amazing they picked him up in a Lincoln Towne car within 5 minutes and whisk him to a better location. I believe you must be what you represent and your word of honor must count for something. This was not the case here and I hope you look else where. No airport transportation either...you are on your own to hire that as well. Sorry..I wasted so much time and effort here.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — did not keep their word
  • Stayed September 2008
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Turkish first
AUSTRALIA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2008

What a find... This hotel is a diamond at an unbelievably cheap cheap cheap price.. We paid $79 p/n and they should have charged us more like $179 p/n. Great facilities - beautiful, spacious rooms with lovely bathroom and accessories. Our King Size room had a plasma, lounge area, robes - you really couldn't ask for more... In addition this particular hotel provides 2nd to none service - this is our story. We were driving from San Diego to Phoenix before we headed off to the Grand Canyon, It was 114degrees, when our car breaks down in the middle of the dessert. We manage to fix it, however an hour out from the hotel we get a text message to say my partners father had passed away in Cleveland Ohio. As you can imagine we were shattered and when we got to the hotel needed help. Chris the Assistant General Manager in particular was incredible and got his team to rally round. They looked after us, helped me get our car exchanged (only took 9 phone calls), let us use the internet all night till we booked our flights and accommodation to Ohio so we could make the funeral, let us use the phone at Front Desk so we incurred no fees. We also had to cancel the next 3 nights accommodation etc etc. They were so supportive and helpful, organised taxis, made sure we ate and in all honesty although the 2 previous hotels we'd stayed at in San Diego and LA were great, I don't believe for a minute they were 1 inch as helpful as these guys. Not only, this, they let us leave our car in their car park, stored all our luggage and had a room ready for us should we wish to stay another night when we returned. Without these guys the whole nightmare of finding out about my father in law, a broken down car, would have been 10 x worse. What fantastic service - you can't even dream that a team would be so helpful.. . The hotel rooms were great, the food great, the helpfulness of staff great.... The pool was ok but to be honest too hot for us to sit out there for too long so we went shopping instead the day we got back to Phoenix.... ... If you need a place to stay in Phoenix and this is the location you are looking for - do no pass up this hotel you will not be disappointed... Thank you to Chris and his Team !!

• Liked — Everything / Chris The Assistant General Manager
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Shepherdstown, West Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2008

I stayed here for three nights on business. The rooms are great, with a comfortable bed and plenty of room to spread out. The "kitchen" consists of a sink, a mini refrigerator, and a coffeemaker. There is no microwave. If you are looking for a real kitchen, head for the nearby Candlewood Suites or possibly the Homewood Suites. The hotel staff was great, providing friendly and prompt service. The housekeeping was fine, although they didn't always leave the full complement of drinking glasses, no biggie. The continental breakfast was satisfactory, with an array of fresh fruit, breads and bagels, and cereals. Cooked items cost extra. There is wireless in the room, but if you don't have a wireless card (as a Federal employee, I can't use one), there doesn't appear to be a port in the room. There are two computers with internet access in the business center.

A few problems kept me from giving this hotel a higher rating. Foremost, the shower was unsatisfactory. The pressure was low and the temperature was only lukewarm the first morning. I complained to the front desk, who noted it on their maintenance sheet. The next day, the pressure was a bit better, but the temperature was still lacking. After speaking with some of my fellow lodgers, I found that there were all sorts of problems. In addition to those similar to mine, others complained that the water was too hot. One mentioned that he turned on the shower about ten minutes before he got in, so I tried this on my last day. It worked, but what a waste of water!

Another issue was that the switches on the lights near the bed did not work very well. One was so stiff that I was afraid that it might short out, so I unplugged it. Finally, I think this hotel has very few outgoing phone lines. I needed to call my airline, and over the course of a half hour, I kept getting a busy signal. I dialed using my cell phone and got through immediately. It may have been a coincidence, but I'm suspicious.

In summary, it was an okay experience, but there are probably better options in the vicinity.

• Liked — Proximity to BLM training center and walking trail
  • Disliked — Lousy shower
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
Orlando, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2008

I was slightly skeptical about staying here after reviews I had read. They were right. The room itself was as the website said, and nice except that there was a strong scent of mildew when you walked in. Fortunately or not, we got used to it after a few minutes. The air conditioner was also quite loud, loud enough to wake me up sometimes when it kicked back on in the night, and I'm a fairly heavy sleeper. The shower floor was also not particularly clean. The room itself seemed ok though. The tv was nice, the bed was nice and the room was big. The bathroom sink was "modern" and lacking water pressure. The breakfast was a fairly light continental breakfast, but it was ok. Cereal, fruit, bead and oatmeal, but when we got down, there wasn't much left, had to ask the desk for hot water and something other than bagels. Hot items could be purchased for around $3. The staff wasn't particularly attentive but cleared everything out right at 10, when the hours stopped, including the coffee. The service at the hotel was lacking in general, check-in felt more like a motel 6 than a Hyatt. They had the option for conputerized check-in at a kiosk, and with the attention paid by staff, it might as well have been a computer. They took our credit card, handed us room keys and didn't say an extra word. It was the same with check out. It took work to get any info out of them at all. All in all, we got this for $98 when most of the hotels at about the same level were about $150 so it was an ok experience but we found that the usual charge was about $160 so would have been quite unhappy if we had paid their rack rate.

• Liked — Big room, nice bed and tv
  • Disliked — Service was lacking, could have been cleaner
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
North Little Rock, AR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2008

We stayed at the Hyatt Place for a wedding in February. We were impressed right away with the lobby and the rooms -- the flat-screen TVs are great, and the separate sitting area is wonderful. We had a king room, but someone could very easily sleep on the sectional couch, too.

The refrigerator and small kitchen area was helpful, too.

The staff was nothing but helpful when we needed to borrow things to get ready (i.e. scissors. Silverware and plates to eat lunch in the rooms, etc.) They were very, very friendly and didn't seem fazed by the gaggle of girls getting ready for a wedding.

The breakfast was impressive too, for free hotel breakfasts. There was Starbucks coffee, hot tea, toast, pastries, bagels, fruits, cereal, etc. That coffee definitely made it worth to make a trip downstairs.

The only downfall with the hotel is the location. It's right off the interstate and has nothing nearby in walking distance. There's a TGI Friday around the corner, but it definitely has the vibe of a corporate park, rather than a cute neighborhood.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
Colorado Springs, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2008

Big rooms. Almost the size of a suite. Had everything we needed. Fridge broke and a new one was brought up within 10 minutes. Flat screen TV is awesome and the hotel cable programing was some of the best I've ever had. Beds were comfy. Continental breakfast was pretty lame. Showers were hot. Great central location. Hotel staff was very friendly. Cafe/lobby food and drink was expensive. Pool was small. Overall very nice experience though. Will stay again.

• Liked — Large rooms
  • Disliked — some cable programming was unavailable for a period
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
Alexandria, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2008

Beautiful, large, pseudo-suite rooms. If you're into nice tvs, you'll love the ones in the rooms here. Beds are fantastic, with a huge sofa sectional on the other side of the room. The tv is well-placed in the room to be seen whether lying in the bed or sitting on the sofa. We also agree with recent posts about dim lighting in the bathroom.

The biggest problem here though is with the front desk staff, as most all of them need more training. Both times I called down to ask to be connected to a friend's room, Keisha put me on hold three times, each time coming back to re-ask for the spelling of the name "Weiss". When we stopped by to ask for directions for the nearest fitness center, she set us out on foot in the opposite direction. We are staying as part of a large group, and when we went downstairs to pay the bill to check out, another clerk said she didn't know how to do the check-out for a group - that person would not be in until the next day. And yesterday we came back in from being out all day and our room had not been made up. A manager came up with replacement towels, asked if we could make the beds up ourselves, and offered us free breakfast in the morning. Sure enough the next morning, getting the desk staff to understand that our breakfast to be covered took 15 minutes and another visit from a different manager. Then there was confusion because the hot breakfast items are billed from the kitchen window in the breakfast room, but the cinnamon rolls are billed from the counter in the lobby. It created two different bills, which confused the girl at the desk even more.

This is a beautiful hotel, and very comfortable. I would think that with a couple of weeks of "stand-down" training for each employee, they would have a great product to sell here.

• Liked — Room comfort and amenities
  • Disliked — Front desk and general employee knowledge
  • Stayed March 2008