“A charming room, great atmosphere”
Review of Sophie's French Bistro - CLOSED

Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Camelback East
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I have noticed the small bistro on Osborne for many years though never found the opportunity to dine there. For a birthday dinner I was searching for French cuisine and narrowed my search to Sophie's and another well know eatery. Yelp reviews for both where about equal, the deciding factor for me was the preference a smaller quiet room, that would be more similar to the small bistros one finds in Europe. I called for reservations and I was also notified that wine was half off (with 2 entries) on Wednesday.
Upon arrival the gentleman sitting at the bar came around to ask 'table for two?', no hello or welcome did you have a reservation, no problem but didn't feel terribly welcome.
Our server stopped to say hello and check on us. We did start with a bottle of wine, and then asked for two appetizers, the moules and escargot. We where then advised that the restaurant was out of moules, and the waitress suggested the pâté. The pate was about bland for our tastes, though the Dijon mustard on the side added a nice flavor, and enjoyed the crisp gherkins. Escargot where fine.
When ready to order entrees we asked our server which she recommended, the pork or beef Bourgogne, she quickly responded that she recommended the pork, and then also shared that she had never tried the beef.
The pork was well prepared, presented and very tasty, our second entree the house special Duck Cassoulet was perhaps not quite as well prepared. The duck was cooked nicely, crispy skin, didn't taste as though there was much seasoning, the beans and sausage where nicely done (not overlooked as reported by another reviewer).
We choose not to try a sweet, though I was somewhat surprised that knowing that we were celebrating a birthday, that a small something didn't appear.
Not surprising that when the check was delivered the wine was not half off as mentioned. The waitress was quite pleasant about the error, but she did need help and had to find someone that could adjust the bill.
We enjoyed our evening, though will not be in any hurry to return.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

True French restaurant with a French attitude that can drive you crazy. For instance: the walls are covered with art works that range from crap to .interesting with no particular object in mind; the cheese plate comes with little hunks of whatever you ordered in a presentation your four year old would assemble; the house specialty features a slow cooked duck leg and a couple slices of lamb sausage tossed on top of a couple scopes of white beans and ham hock in an iron pot with no particular goal in mind. On the other hand many of the dishes are very good. I would rate this at 3.5 out of 5 if I could. It certainly isn't average.

Reviewed 28 March 2012

Went again to Sophie's again for our anniversary and Serge continues to please. We had the standards, escargot, pate, beef bourg. and scallops. Very good and very french. My wife and I are taking french lessons and Thomas was very helpfull with our questions and how to order in French.
When we are on that side of town we will gladly visit our favorite bistro, Sophie's.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

The food was ordinary at best. The prices quite high. Overall , not a great experience. There are much better "french" restaurants in Phoenix

Reviewed 19 May 2011

Tried this restaurant for a late anniversary dinner. The food was delicious. Be sure to try the cheese plate, the d'affinois double-cream cheese was the best thing about the whole meal. Ambience and decor were good, although the setting sun kept shining right onto my face. The wait staff kindly moved us over and taped a square of cloth over the window for good measure. The wine list was extensive. As we have no expertise with wine, we went with the waiter's recommendation (one of the less expensive bottles).