“A surprise delight”

Carly's Bistro
Ranked #272 of 3,080 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
San Francisco, California
“A surprise delight”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

After dropping several family members off at Phoenix airport, we hit food on the GPS and Carly's Bistro popped up. We were very hungry and decided to head straight for Carly's. It was a Sunday afternoon and the restaurant was fairly full with enthusiastic clients. Various jazz musicians were performing -- sort of a drop in and play kind of scene. There are various items on the menu -- sandwiches, salads, soups, etc. I had a tomato bisque plus a toasted panini cheese and prosciutto sandwich. My partner had a Greek salad plus a Pork Torta. The food was quite good. it was a fun lunch.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank SFGAL8

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
“Overpriced, with attitude”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Every Friday a group of about 7-10 of us will find a place in Downtown to have lunch. This week we went to Carly's.

My first comment when I went in there was that it felt like an Hostel. Mind you, I've traveled all over the world and stayed in hostels and have really enjoyed my experiences in them but I would not describle it as an upscale or artsy atmosphere. This place aims to be artsy with it's slight feel of uncleaniness but all it really acheives is, well, a slight feel of uncleaniness with that undefinable smell.

The menu was pretty interesting and I got the southwest chicken, which is basically chicken on toasted chiabatta. It was not bad, well, because I like chicken on chiabatta. But that's all it was - chicken on chiabatta with a little bit of mayo on the side. I would say it would have been great $6.50 sandwich - $8.50 if your in Scottsdale, $7.50 in Tempe but really, $6.50 in Downtown Phoenix. Unfortunately, it was $9.50.

Now a place like this I would expect really enjoyable (if not great service). I say enjoyable becuase it may be someone super friendly with an artsy background and kind of fun to talk to. Well, we got neither. Someone ordered a cup of coffee and when asked if he wanted a second cup, he said yes. Well, the bill came and he was charged for 2 cups of coffee. He said it surprised him and maybe you should tell people and the waitress said, well, no one ever said anything, with a side of sarcasm. Granted, it was the biggest side of the lunch order- the handful of terra chips does not really justify being called a "side". We asked for a to-go box and after sitting for another 5-7 minutes while she walked around and wiped down tables, I went and got my own containers. When she finally saw me, she tried to cut off the girl who was helping me and reached of them herself.

I love hole-in-the wall local joints. Unfortunately just because a place is painted oranged and has bars on the windows does not make it a cool local joint. Like the other reviewers who know downtown well, go to Cibo where the service is friendly, the food fantastic and the place is clean.

• Visited July 2013
Michigan
“solid, Cute, relaxing”
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Been here twice now - came back next day w/ daughter after a morning at the Phoenix Art Museum

Pear and brie sandwich was amazing
So were the salmon and the europa

This is a solid neighborhood place to eat

Carla rocks.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank vogon_poet
Toronto, Canada
“Best 'hole in the wall' in Phoenix”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Had dinner and after show drinks/snacks here. What a surprise! While you may think, 'what have I just walked into' upon first entering, the food is absolutely amazing. We had the hummus, artichoke dip, pear salad, soup and salad special (only 7.75!), and tuscan sandwich. All were absolutely first rate. FRESH and flavourful, organic ingredients. The dressings were perfect, portions were excellent, and prices were very reasonable. Drinks were also priced right.

Our later evening visit included a solo musician playing some soft folk music on guitar and singing. Had the hot mocha and latte (with soy) - they were perfect! They came perfectly sweetened - it was a real treat.

Truly, a gem! A perfect place to bring (and surprise) visitors, or before or after seeing a jazz show at The Nash next door. Can't wait to go back!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank TravellerDavy
Lake Almanor, Ca
“Nice Sunday Brunch”
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

This is our second Sunday here for brunch. The Bloody Mary's are excellent and a treat. We shared an anti pasta dish that was just right for us. My only minor complaint was on their web site it states bloody Mary's $5. Noticed first visit states $6 on brunch menu, which we were charged fairly. Okay website needs to be updated. Today we were charged $7 - did not want to make a big deal, so just paid. I guess it's the principle, but not a deal breaker. Very nice place and we'll be back.

• Visited March 2014