“Great access to local shopping and restaurants”

Residence Inn Phoenix North/Happy Valley
Ranked #46 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 23 December 2013

This was my first stay at this Residence Inn and the place was nicely kept and service was great. The location was very convenient to many local restaurant and stores. Having the breakfast included was a plus and there were food and drinks during the social hour Monday -Wednesday. My only negative was regarding the hotel amenities specifically the towels and lack of lotion. The towels were thin and very rough on your skin. Also with Arizona being very dry and arid I expected some body lotion to be available in the room but there was none. There was shampoo and conditioner though. I know this is considered a suite but I have come to expect some basic necessities and a certain level of comfort that wasn't there. Having a refrigerator in the room was a mixed bag because it gave you the convenience of storing perishables but if you're a light sleeper the fan/condenser might keep you up at night. Overall a decent place to stay but I might try the Courtyard Marriott next door during my next visit.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Capt_Tiberius

Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stayed for a week in November while we were in Phoenix to tend to family business. As loyal Marriott guests, we hold Residence Inn to a little higher standard than some hotels and this Residence Inn did disappoint a little bit. On the plus side, front desk staff was AWESOME. Super friendly and professional. The housekeeping staff was efficient and eager to please. Beautiful pool area (shared with adjacent Courtyard). But the breakfast area was seriously lacking.

This hotel has a lot of long term guests (Honeywell engineers staying there with their families). It is clear that the hotel caters to the corporate clientele. Each morning, the breakfast room was overflowing with the long term guests and their families. Nobody took responsibility for clearing/wiping down the tables between guests. On a number of mornings, the coffee decanters were EMPTY. There was a meat selection each day that was totally unappetizing because the bacon/sausage sat in a pool (like 1") of grease. One day they ran out of waffle batter. Another day, no orange juice. This didn't meet the bare minimum standard for a Residence Inn and frankly, it's just a crummy way to start your day.

We did mention this to front desk staff and were told it would be reported to management. It would have been nice to receive a voice mail message in our room from management to acknowledge our feedback, but of course, nothing. Again, clearly the CORPORATE customer is king at this property.

So, bottom line, this location has wonderful staff (except breakfast), nice clean rooms, and a beautiful pool area. If you can overlook the corporate bias and shoddy breakfast area (which you pay for in your room rate), you will probably enjoy this Marriott property. When we return to the area, we will probably try the nearby Drury.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank SunDiego123
martina_ward, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Phoenix North/Happy Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience with us. I am truly sorry that we didn't provide top-notch service in all areas of your stay. You are correct, someone should have contacted you during your stay to address your concerns about breakfast. I would definitely love to connect with you to discuss those concerns in person and appreciate your sharing them with us. I am very glad to hear that our front desk and housekeeping team took great care of you, we pride ourselves on customer service and anytime someone is less than satisfied we take it very seriously. We are making some changes to our preferred hotel program for 2014 and hope that you will give us another opportunity to wow you during your next trip to Phoenix.

Martina Ward
Director of Sales

Reviewed 26 November 2013

I worked in Phoenix each week for the last year.
Staying at this Residence inn helped me when I was away from home all week.
Great corporate program and amenities overall.
Very convenient, safe and clean facility.
Loved the very personalized service and extra special attention I received consistently each and every week!
Hats off to some very special employees!! Cindy, Coleen, Daniel , Julie and Martina!

Room Tip: I liked staying on 5th floor not near the pool and closer to the elevators.Liked the one bedroom sui...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Julie R
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This is a farily new hotel with nice rooms and typical Residence Inn type accomodations. I was really looking foward to our stay as I love Arizona in November. The problem with this hotel is several guests cooked in their rooms with Curry and other Indian type spices that caused the entire facility to smell of such odors. To me, this smell worse than cigarette smoke. While walking down the hallway one afternoon, we passed a room where guests were cooking with these oils and spices and they propped their door open as the odors in the room were overwhelming. This cause sigificant odors in the hallway and was very unpleasant to me. While this hotel is close to family and friends, I will definitly try the Hilton properties a few blocks away in hopes that I will not be subjected to these odors.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank jamctraveler
martina_ward, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Phoenix North/Happy Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your experience at Residence Inn. I am sorry that you had a less than amazing experience with us. All of the rooms at Residence Inn offer fully equipped kitchens so that guests on long stays are able to prepare their own meals if desired. I apologize if some of our guests left their doors open while cooking food that had unappealing odors to you. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, I would love the opportunity to connect with you to discuss any more feedback you may have and some potential solutions.

Martina Ward
Director of Sales

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Stayed at the Residence Inn for four months during 2009 (Yea I know thats really long back, but then, I'm new to Tripadvisor, and I'm sure the place is still the way I experienced it - since my colleagues who ve been there recently still swear by it.

One of my best stays anywhere in the hotel. The hotel staff was extremely courteous, and went out of their to make the guests comfortable. By the end of the stay many of them became very close friends. The happy hours on Mondays and Wednesdays had some awesome food and wine. Rooms are spacious and very comfy. The pool, jacuzzi and gym are well maintained.

Any day I'd be in Phoenix again this is where I will stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Having stayed here many times in the past, I am still pleased with the service. Location is very good close to I17, and far enough North of the City to be away from most of the traffic congestion. Right next to a mall, so good choices for dinner, although the evening food at the hotel certainly is worth staying in for as it is always tasty, and caters to vegetarians, making it a plus. Good breakfast and friendly staff as always. Room was clean and well maintained. Only negative comment for a hotel that likes to "go green" is I wonder why the room service includes running the dishwasher with only the coffee pot and 1 cup that I used in the morning. Very water wasteful.
I have seen some negative reviews regarding the guests who work at Honeywell, but I must say the guests present during my visit, if they were cooking in their rooms, there was absolutely no smell in the hallways, and the parents with young children were very mindful of all the guests, and it was a pleasure to spend time there in the evenings. We all spend times in hotels when sometimes large groups overtake the general areas, but that was not the case during my stay this week, or on previous stays either.

Room Tip: Fourth floor to avoid people being above you.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 October 2013

EXCELLENT in every respect!! From the moment we entered the door, we were greeted by a bright and cheerie gal, I believe her name was Cindy.... She was warm and welcoming, offering us water.... Just a delight! She invited us to their free 'happy hour', where they served practically a full meal of Teriyaki chicken, salad, chips, rice.... A number of items.... As well as beer, wine, or soft drinks. The room was large, and very clean, with comfortable beds. We only stayed one night, as we had a conference to attend a little further away, but I was sad to leave..... And even sadder when we checked in to the Marriot Canyon Villas, which turned out to be AWFUL! Made us miss the Residence Inn even more!! If you have a car..... Just drive, and stay at Residence Inn! You'll be glad you did!!

Room Tip: They have one and Two bedroom suites. We had a 2 BR suite, which would have been excellent for a fa...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family