“Clean Rooms Good Location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Inn Phoenix North/Happy Valley

Residence Inn Phoenix North/Happy Valley
Ranked #56 of 173 Hotels in Phoenix
Portland, Oregon
“Clean Rooms Good Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

We are frequent guests of the Residence Inn hotels. They are pet friendly and perfect for a 4+ day stay. We love the fully stocked kitchenette because it allows us to cook our own meals. Eating the same choice fast food or restaurants on the road gets old. The kitchenettes have a range, microwave, fridge, four piece flatware and place setting. All you need is your own groceries. We tried eating at the complimentary happy hour, but gave up after some of the other hotel guests took multiple plates of food leaving nothing for other guests. I guess they assumed it was an all you can eat buffet and they were the ONLY guests in the hotel.
There is guest laundry available. Free wifi. There is a large breakfast spread. (I'd advise getting there early in the morning) Our room was very clean, the linens and towels smelled very fresh and clean. Housekeeping did an excellent job cleaning the room each day. The front desk service was polite and courteous. When I had a problem with the key card reader on my door, they responded promptly with a maintenance worker to replace the card reader. I-17 is located 1/2 mile from the hotel. Large variety of stores, restaurants within 3 miles of the hotel. The price, quality and service are very reasonable.
The next time we are in Phoenix we will be returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: Floors 4 or 5 are quieter, less guest traffic & noise. The lowers floors seemed to have more kid...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

My wife and I are retired and decide this year we would stay in hotels for extended period during our trip. We had booked a week in a one bedroom suite at this hotel and the location turn out to be everything we expected. However the first room we were put in was next to a mechanical room with a constant very low drumming noise. To the hotels credit they did move us to another room which is always a pain when you have settled in. Well the next room turn out to be much better as long as the HVAC was not running, this was easy to solve by turning the unit off at night. I am sure they have many room were this would not be a problem and I would stay here again but would check it our more before I accepted a room. I did mention it is in a great location.

Room Tip: Turn on your HVAC unit if you are a light sleeper before accepting your room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Overall: Great location, eany access to highway, 10 min drive to Scottsdale. Newer hotel.

Check In: Arrived late, easy check in.

Room: big 1 bedroom with living room and kitchen. Never used the kitchen, but it it was available. Clean room and looked new. Could easily accommodate family of 4 with sofa bed.

Hotel: good breakfast, not the small continental breakfast. The pool is outside and it was February. .. so I never used it.

Check out: got the room on Priceeline and prepaid. But the hotel charged me again when I checked out... I never got the receipt slipped under my door the night before check out and I didn't go to the front office to check out. Called Marriott and they easily credited my card. No problems or hassle.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank dpbdmd
Thousand Oaks, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

I should start out by saying that staying at this Residence Inn wasn't our first choice. It worked out as our dearest friends were staying there, and it allowed us to have the maximum amount of time with them, which was great. We were in town for my best friend's father-in-law's funeral. It was a sad occasion, but he had lived a full and rich live (he was 94). From the minute we checked in, the front desk staff were fantastic and very welcoming. When they asked why were in town, and I told the woman at the front desk that it was a funeral, she was very respectful. We had a suite with a full kitchen and bedroom, and the room was very clean. After check-in, we immediately received a call to see if everything was in order. We were greeted enthusiastically every time we were in the lobby. I used Marriott points, and they were right on top of that as I checked in.
Listen, this isn't the Ritz, but it worked very well for our purposes. After the funeral and get together with family, we got back to the hotel and joined our friends for a late takeout dinner in their suite and toasted our friend's father. It was perfect to be able to eat privately at the hotel that evening. I would like to thank the staff for being so helpful and concerned. The only negative is that our friend did not like the breakfast at the hotel, so we went out each morning.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Sunnyvale, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

This was my first stay at this Residence Inn and the place was nicely kept and service was great. The location was very convenient to many local restaurant and stores. Having the breakfast included was a plus and there were food and drinks during the social hour Monday -Wednesday. My only negative was regarding the hotel amenities specifically the towels and lack of lotion. The towels were thin and very rough on your skin. Also with Arizona being very dry and arid I expected some body lotion to be available in the room but there was none. There was shampoo and conditioner though. I know this is considered a suite but I have come to expect some basic necessities and a certain level of comfort that wasn't there. Having a refrigerator in the room was a mixed bag because it gave you the convenience of storing perishables but if you're a light sleeper the fan/condenser might keep you up at night. Overall a decent place to stay but I might try the Courtyard Marriott next door during my next visit.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Capt_Tiberius
United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stayed for a week in November while we were in Phoenix to tend to family business. As loyal Marriott guests, we hold Residence Inn to a little higher standard than some hotels and this Residence Inn did disappoint a little bit. On the plus side, front desk staff was AWESOME. Super friendly and professional. The housekeeping staff was efficient and eager to please. Beautiful pool area (shared with adjacent Courtyard). But the breakfast area was seriously lacking.

This hotel has a lot of long term guests (Honeywell engineers staying there with their families). It is clear that the hotel caters to the corporate clientele. Each morning, the breakfast room was overflowing with the long term guests and their families. Nobody took responsibility for clearing/wiping down the tables between guests. On a number of mornings, the coffee decanters were EMPTY. There was a meat selection each day that was totally unappetizing because the bacon/sausage sat in a pool (like 1") of grease. One day they ran out of waffle batter. Another day, no orange juice. This didn't meet the bare minimum standard for a Residence Inn and frankly, it's just a crummy way to start your day.

We did mention this to front desk staff and were told it would be reported to management. It would have been nice to receive a voice mail message in our room from management to acknowledge our feedback, but of course, nothing. Again, clearly the CORPORATE customer is king at this property.

So, bottom line, this location has wonderful staff (except breakfast), nice clean rooms, and a beautiful pool area. If you can overlook the corporate bias and shoddy breakfast area (which you pay for in your room rate), you will probably enjoy this Marriott property. When we return to the area, we will probably try the nearby Drury.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank SunDiego123
martina_ward, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Phoenix North/Happy Valley, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience with us. I am truly sorry that we didn't provide top-notch service in all areas of your stay. You are correct, someone should have contacted you during your stay to address your concerns about breakfast. I would definitely love to connect with you to discuss those concerns in person and appreciate your sharing them with us. I am very glad to hear that our front desk and housekeeping team took great care of you, we pride ourselves on customer service and anytime someone is less than satisfied we take it very seriously. We are making some changes to our preferred hotel program for 2014 and hope that you will give us another opportunity to wow you during your next trip to Phoenix.

Martina Ward
Director of Sales
Prescott, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

I worked in Phoenix each week for the last year.
Staying at this Residence inn helped me when I was away from home all week.
Great corporate program and amenities overall.
Very convenient, safe and clean facility.
Loved the very personalized service and extra special attention I received consistently each and every week!
Hats off to some very special employees!! Cindy, Coleen, Daniel , Julie and Martina!

Room Tip: I liked staying on 5th floor not near the pool and closer to the elevators.Liked the one bedroom sui...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business