“If you want to ride horses, really ride horses.....”
Review of Hideout Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Portal
Hideout Ranch
Eagle River, Alaska
“If you want to ride horses, really ride horses.....”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

If you want to ride horses, experience a real working ranch, then The Hideout Ranch is for you. If you want a spa type experience with a little bit of horse riding, THEN THIS IS NOT FOR YOU!! This trip was exceptional in every way. Tamara and Craig are animal lovers. Their cows, goats, horses, cats and dogs would all sleep on their bed if they could all fit! Our experience was if we had showed up at a friends house for a week and went riding every day! We rode in three different mountain ranges, with incredible terrain and weather. Their knowledge of horses and people allowed for an experience on an incredible horse...Ike. Thank you both so much... the bond between rider and horse is real. I don't cry very often when I leave a place, but I did here.

Room Tip: It's not about the rooms, its about the riding. Remember this and the rooms won't matter. Th...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kip M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Great rides with plenty of variation. Every day we took the trailer to go to a totally different trail ride, giving us the opportunity to discover various sceneries and to get a fantastic overall sense of Arizona's landscape. Having our own horses at home we wanted to be as much as possible in the saddle riding good horses and experience the true cowboy feeling, and we were completely satisfied.
Craig and Tamara are doing their utmost to give you an awesome holiday. Their hospitality is unmatched, you can litterally pick your own drinks out of the fridge (if not offered already by Craig), like if you were with family or friends. Everything included in the rate, no suprises.
On top we were very lucky to find great riding buddies in a super friendly couple from Alaska being at the ranch at the same time.
The cabin we were in was rather basic and not the larger bunkhouse as we expected, but OK - in the end it's just for sleeping as we were from early morning till late evening enjoying great food and plenty of drinks in the lovely company of our new friends.
So if you want real horseback riding and eat some dust: this is the place to be.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter V
Dilbeek, Belgium
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I had to go to Phoenix for a couple of days (half of febraury) and took some vacation with it, because flying in from Belgium seemed like a long trip for only five days of course in Phoenix. And my vacation, I wanted to spend in a place where I could hide out, so luckily I stumbled upon the HideOut Ranch in Portal. Thanks to all the great reviews I read here, I decided to contact Tamara and Craig and I am glad I did!

I travelled alone by car from Phoenix, which is a 4 to 5 hour drive, but it was okay. Once I got of of the I-10 the scenery was beautiful. Upon arrival I had a warm welcome by Tamara and I got to see my room. Everything I needed was there, and it looked cosy, and I could go to the Red Dog where not only that evening, but every day delicious food was served (many thanks to Mia)!

Tamara decided that I should ride Lozen. It had been 10 years since I sat on a horse, so the first day was a bit of an adjustment. But I got really comfortable on Lozen, during those three days she was really amazing! The first two days the rides where amazing and the views just fantastic. Tamara and Craig really know to pick out wonderful places to ride. There are no words to describe some of the scenery I saw, especially not on the third day when we had the chance to ride along to move cattle from one pasture to another. That was really a superb experience, I had so much fun and learned so much! I graduated as a large animal vet and it was very interesting to learn about the way they breed and keep cattle in this area (which is totally different compared to how we do it in Belgium). To see them working the cattle was fantastic, hear them tell stories about it was really cool. All these experiences made it so much more than just a relaxing vacation, I had the best time!

I only went for 3 days, but if you can, try to go longer. Tamara and Craig are fantastic hosts, the horses are too sweet and they really love all of their animals (dogs, cats, goats, horses). If I have the chance, I would really love to go back, to Hide Out ;)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Karlijn_DB
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We spent 4 days at the end of February at the ranch. It was a spectacular trip! Tamara and Craig are gracious hosts that immediately make you feel at home! The bunk house we stayed in was wonderful, gorgeous views from the deck, very peaceful and private. Waking up to watch the sunrise bounce off the surrounding mountains brought anticipation of the days to come. Each day our rides were amazing! Not only do they share their ranch and their horses, they share their vast knowledge of the land and the area. Going thru the Stronghold while Craig explained the area is a once in a lifetime trip. Winding up to the top is an awe inspiring experience that pictures do not do justice to. The horses are calm and relaxed, extremely sure footed! At the end of the day, relaxing in the Red Dog, we enjoyed a wonderful homemade dinner each night! During dinner we would have more discussions about the area, the horses, the next days adventures and enjoy the company of our new found Arizona friends! We are planning another trip next year! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa G
Paris, France
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I spent ten wonderful days in Hideout Ranch.
It is a ranch in a huge valley surrounded by mountains, managed by amazing people: Craig and Tamara.

If you dream to test the life in a real ranch, Hideout Ranch is the ideal place!

Day after day, I discovered the real cowboy’s way of life, the delicious western cooking and the country music. During those ten days, I helped to take care of horses, donkeys, goats and dogs and I chose to help to feed them each morning and each evening. It was a way to form a bond with horses.
When I was in the ranch, it was time for the cattle drive. We should get together the cows, brand and tag the calves… It was such an experience!
Through, I had tested the work of wranglers and it was even better than in my dreams and in the movies!

Craig and Tamara pay attention to choose horses according to the ability of the guests. Thanks to this thoughtfulness, you can entirely enjoy the horse riding. During the rides you will feel that your horse will take care of you! Indeed Horses who lives in Hideout Ranch are happy, curious and love riders! I never thought to get so attached to them! Deep moving!!
Every day we rode in different amazing landscapes. In fact, Craig and Tamara know a lot of various trails and you will discover the green and the yellow of forests, the bleu and the grey of rivers, the red and the brown of mountains and huge valley multicolored!

At the end of the day, you can enjoy the sumptuous sunset which colors the grass in a deep yellow and the mountains in glittering purple and red. It's absolutely fabulous and so peaceful!

Hideout ranch is like a family with a warm atmosphere obviously thanks Craig and Tamara, but also thanks to Marie-Anne the french wrangler, Mia the cook, Mike who takes charge of BBQ, Scott who drives the guests at the airport, Kip and her husband who play and sing country music, all the kind neighbors and the other guests.

Craig and Tamara are so welcoming and take care so well of their guests that leaving them is a heartbreak!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anaïs S
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Hideout Ranch is located on the borders of Arizona and New Mexico near the Mexico border. It is in a location that no one would ever think to go and visit on their own - but once you get there - you are AMAZED. I am a single, 50 year female that has ridden horses before but I don't "ride." I went to Hideout Ranch to "get away" and to experience something new. From the moment I arrived, I knew this was going to be that experience that I would remember for a long, long, time.
With Mountains all around, the scenary is something to just stop and take in. I am from Florida and I must tell all - Hideout Ranch is the true western ranch nestled in between some of the most beautiful mountains and land you will ever see.
And as far as the animals - WOW! There are more than just horses to see. Now granted, if you go - you go to ride horses, but you must see all the animals! Tamara and Craig have handled all of their animals with pure love and treat them all as part of their family. This includes the cows, longhorns, bulls, goats, donkeys, dogs, cats, and of course the horses! They all have names and the animals (all of them) love being "loved." I petted them all! Including the bulls. It was amazing.
Now since folks come here for the horses, I want everyone to know - they have horses of all skill levels. Craig can listen to a person's riding experience or lack thereof, and determine the right horse for you in under three minutes. Plus, when you go riding, both Tamara and Craig, make sure you are "ok," that you are comfortable, and you feel "safe and secure." They have places to go riding for all different levels of riders also. Plus, all of the horses are friendly and want to have people around them. It's wonderful.
The lodging and food is another topic that everyone should know about - Hideout Ranch lodging is designed after the way Western towns were built. In fact, the area where visitors stay is like a little western town. The rooms are all very cozy and well maintained. If there is anythiing you need while there, just ask Tamara and Craig and they will do their best to make your stay as comfortable as possible. It is personal service at its best. And the food, well I ate more while I was there than I had in a long time. The food is all homemade hearty meals. The kind of food that we all grew up on - from pulled pork, to steak, to hearty breakfasts of pancakes and sausage. You feel like you are "back home" and your Mom is cooking for you. Truly something you won't forget.

Room Tip: The rooms are sweet and simple. All very similar. Clean and comfortable and designed after the "...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Patty M
Belle Mead, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I just returned from an eight-day stay at the ranch and would like to share my wonderful experience. Prior to my stay, I have never ridden or even touched a horse. In selecting a ranch for my stay, I was looking for a small-scaled place that taught and focused on horseback riding and Hideout Ranch fit the bill exactly. For people interested in large, spa-like ranches that offer horseback riding on the side, I advise to look elsewhere.

The ranch owners (Craig and Tamara) matched me up with an even-tempered, friendly horse (Washoe) and showed me the basics of riding. On the second day of my stay, I was already riding off the ranch to explore a nearby canyon and the trips just got more exciting and informative as the days progressed. The surrounding area has a rich history and the desert and mountainous scenery is spectacular. By the end of the stay, I have learned to trust Washoe and we both learned to 'read' each other.

The accommodations were very comfortable. I stayed alone at the bunkhouse, which had a living/dining room and a bedroom and can accommodate a family. It had heating for the cold desert nights and was cleaned daily. The DVD collection (mostly Westerns) kept me entertained at night.

I greatly enjoyed the mealtimes and not just because of the hearty, delicious food prepared by Mia. Tamara, Craig and Mia are people of diverse interests/experiences and the mealtimes were full of lively and informative conversation.

I have had a great time and would love to visit again. For more detail about my experience, please do not hesitate to contact me.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Iridium8888
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portal
Sunglow Ranch - Arizona Guest Ranch and Resort
D.D. Gamble Guest Lodge
Mountain Valley Lodge & RV Park

Been to Hideout Ranch? Share your experiences!