“Little Things Done Well”
Review of The Motor Lodge

The Motor Lodge
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Prescott
Sun City West, Arizona
“Little Things Done Well”
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Small stuff got my attention after the big stuff (hospitality and housekeeping) was appreciated. For openers, not just a cold beer on arrival, but a premium brew. The room rate included taxes, so nothing added to boost the bill. Nice touches.

My casita’s carport sported artificial turf to catch the drips (and save the carpet). The main room had six well-placed lights which all worked, bright enough to read the small print, and comfy chairs to relax while watching HD TV over the fire place. Six clothes hangers were contoured wood and removable.

Framed pictures were all oils, short of museum quality, but brush strokes showed from every angle. Lurking in many drawers were magazines from the 40s era, plus media with current events and some hard-cover books.

The bath: small and clean, with a recent lavatory which put the water above basin level, plus an upscale shower head. The kitchen (room, not area) had a refrigerator with a smoked glass door opening to a digital display (39 degrees), and a stainless steel sink beside the gas stove/oven.

Departing, four chocolate-chip cookies were in a fitted bag with their logo (and a lined bottom to prevent grease spots). Who cares? Well, the owners do. Paul Harvey would have loved this place, with seen and unseen things telling “the rest of the story!”

Room Tip: Gas log fireplace added warmth and ambiance
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Tom S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 10 May 2013

We were in Prescott for a wedding and graduation for a week and were made to feel right at home at the Motor Lodge from the minute we arrived. The cottage we had was very clean and comfortable with our own deck to lounge on. In the evening there were two public decks with fires to sit around and meet other guests in a relaxing setting.

Room Tip: The five rooms our group used were all very clean and comfortable
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Bonsall, California
Reviewed 10 May 2013

All I can really say is that I agree with what everyone else has already said about this place. The owners are about as hospitable as anyone can be. They're friendly without being intrusive and are always willing to offer suggestions.

We were in room 8, which is a suite with two beds in a separate bedroom. The decor is probably the best part. So many fun and nostalgic things to check out. This room has one of the carports to park in. There are free bicycles hanging in the carports for guests to use around town. The Astro-turf down the center of the garages is a nice touch. Our room had a kitchenette with microwave and a fancy wine refrigerator. There is a gas fireplace in the living room.

The only thing that is minimally inconvenient is the tiny bathroom, but we had no problem coping with it and all of the amenities one can expect are provided. The age of the property limits what can be done, so this is just something to live with. And it is well worth it! The beds are plush and cozy, too.

Congratulations to the owners for saving this place and giving the rest of us a fun, retro experience.

Tucson, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 9 May 2013

We had the best experience at the Motor Lodge beginning with check in. We were met by Brian and Joe who were super friendly and helpful. Brian brought us two glasses of wine (you have a few choices of red or white, or beer). He walked us up to our room (we were in 9), showed us how to use the fireplace, gave us the password for the internet and made sure we were comfortable. Since it was our anniversary, we asked for suggestions for dinner. He and Joe gave us a few options, which we looked up on the internet to see the menus. The room décor made us feel like we were staying in someone's guest room at their house. We had a beautiful stone fireplace in our room and comfortable king size bed. There was a fridge and full size coffeemaker in the room. Bathroom was very small, but how much time do you spend in it anyway. It was also nice having a carport to park our car. Our room had a deck with umbrella table and three chairs. They also have bikes on the premises for use by guests. It's about 3/4 of a mile walk to downtown. At Brian's suggestion, we walked along Cortez St. which was mostly residential and not high traffic. We're looking forward to a return trip to Prescott so we can stay here again.

Room Tip: We were in room 9 which is towards the back of the property. Nothing behind except a fence.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 6 May 2013

What an AMAZING motel/lodge. This place is great! I won't stay anywhere else. The decor is awesome, and the staff is super friendly. I was given a courtesy about 3 hrs before check-in just to let me know that my room was ready and I could head down anytime. It was my girlfriends birthday and the friendly lady (Kim, I think was her name) gave us two complimentary drinks to help start the celebration. It was an amazing expereience from the start. I def. recommend this lodge for everybody that goes up to Prescott. Friendly staff, clean rooms, and amazing decor! I can't forget about the homemade cookies they gave us during out check out. Classy place! Love it! This is A MUST STAY!

Bettendorf, Iowa
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Stayed in the Stardust room which my wife just loved! Decor was very quirky and creative. Being a 'senior" couple was worried about the quietness but was assured that 9:30 was "quiet" time and sure enough we slept just great. Walking distance to downtown. Ask for room 5 or 6 for more privacy. We left early and as we were leaving town got a phone call from owners thanking us and asking about our stay. Now how many motel owners do that? Enough said!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Mesa, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Expectations are high when a place is reviewed this many times with 5-star ratings. It's a little hard to live up to those kind of expectations, I would think. However, Joe and Brian do. Ok, first of all, I have never stayed in an inn, motel, or hotel where I left knowing the owners' names. Or caring what they were. But The Motor Lodge is a gem - convenient location, retro charm, SUPREMELY comfortable bed (my most important criteria), service that is so good it doesn't even seem like "service." I mean, I felt like I was welcomed into their home - glass of wine on check-in, butter-laden fresh cookies on check-out, warm fire on the patio in the evening, recommendations on where to eat and who I could call to book a facial, even the offer of a friend who could take me kayaking on the lake. Joe showed me the empty rooms the afternoon I checked in - they were just as charming as the one I booked. In fact, the "family suite" was larger than a couple of the studio apartments I lived in during college (although this, admittedly, is not saying much). Overall, a warm and happy experience. If you want a personal touch and something as far from "corporate" as you can imagine in every respect, from decor to service, this is your place.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo