“While This Place is Very Nice, It slipped since Last Time”
Review of Hassayampa Inn

Hassayampa Inn
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Prescott
Tucson, Arizona
“While This Place is Very Nice, It slipped since Last Time”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed here last fall and fell in love with the Place. The reason was a NEW manager who just arrived and met everyone and did more than I expected (he bought marshmallows for us to cook outside over fires). It was unbelievable.

Well now, it is different. I brought my wife for her birthday and expect same but no. When we arrived I forgot some flowers. Some were just delivered for someone else and I asked the desk clerk to please get me some and had a twenty in my hand. Well, all she did was talk over her microphone to other people on the staff. She only gave me her attention for thirty seconds and again with microphone (four times this happened). I looked around for other staff but all said the "hi" and quickly keep going to wherever. I put the money back in my pocket.

The entire stay had that feeling of "hi" as they walked away. Most were talking to each other and not to us. What a let down! I guess I should have gotten more forceful, but I didn't want to have my wife find out. She was just happy for the two days there.

The place looks the same but to me, well, I would rather give my money to people that care.

PS. When we went to our room on the second day, the cards didn't work. So we had to go back to the front desk and prove it was us and we had the room for two days.

My guess is that last year's manager has moved on.

Room Tip: This tip is not for a good room. Make sure the desk staff pays attention to you. The fourth floo...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Michael K, General Manager at Hassayampa Inn, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry to hear that the visit was not up to the standard of your previous visit and the areas you discussed have been address with the staff. I am available at your discretion to discuss your stay and suggestions you may have so we can continue to improve. Thank you again and have a great day.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

This quaint, beautifully restored historic hotel is a gem in downtown Prescott. When you arrive, you're greeted by friendly reception staff who are helpful and knowledgable. The hotel has its own parking lot which is a bit small, but there were plenty of spaces when I arrived. On the Weekend in Prescott, there are often festivals and shows and the lot (though reserved for visitors) fills up. Its not a real problem, there is plenty of parking on the street which is always free, and no time limit on weekends or holidays.
The rooms are quite lovely. The Standard queen room I had was a bit small. It was just fine for me, but the bathroom was small with only a stall shower, and the sink was outside about three feet from the bed. I didn't mind as little quirks are to be expected in an old restored hotel. The suites are no doubt larger and would be worth it if you're traveling with someone.
The bed was comfortable but pretty soft. If you need a stiff mattress, you might be a bit uncomfortable. That said, I'm pretty particular about my bedding (I have a firm memory foam mattress that I love), and I had no trouble getting to sleep. The springs on the bed were squeaky so any extra-curricular activities would like be on the louder side. When I visited the hotel, it was fully booked, and I never heard any noise from any other room. The only noise was the AC in the room which had a slight wine when it kicked on, but otherwise ran silently.
The rooms are clean, but watch out for the wood floors, they're a bit slippery. If you plan on spending a lot of time in your room, go for a suite, but for me, the standard room was perfect.
The restaurant has an amazing a la cart breakfast. The Eggs Benedict and the Huevos Rancharos are some of the best I've ever had. The service is super friendly and attentive. The coffee mugs are small but they never let it get empty, always checking on you to see if you need anything. I didn't have lunch or dinner at the hotel, but there were locals that specifically came for breakfast, and it was pretty full, so I'd bet that dinner is great as well.
The location can't be beat. Right in downtown Prescott, walking distance from restaurants, bars, theaters, and a block from the courthouse square where almost every weekend there is a different festival, from art shows, and music festivals.
This place is a gem, if you're ever in Prescott, this is the place to stay. If I'm ever in the area again, I'd never think of staying anywhere else.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Michael K, General Manager at Hassayampa Inn, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Hi David,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel.
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit and that you had a good experience. We hope to see you visit our hotel again soon. Take care
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Located right in town this hotel is ideally placed for exploring Prescott. Rooms are large and comfortable, although we did ask to be moved as our room at the back of the hotel overlooked the air conditioning unit and fans; the noise would have kept us awake. They moved us with no problem. The hotel has a nice bar and restaurant, although we chose to eat in town. A laundry service was advertised on their web site but this turned out not to be the case. As we were on a long road trip we had planned to use this service, so be aware. That said there is a laundromat a couple of blocks up from the hotel and you can get everything washed and dried within the hour. This is an old hotel, although well maintained the lift is of the old cage type and has to be operated by a member of staff. If staying in Prescott for a night or a few days this hotel is a comfortable option.

Room Tip: Try and avoid rooms at the back because of the noise from hotel fans.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at our hotel. I apologize for the mis-communication about the laundry service. Our service is through a dry cleaner. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Glendora, California, United States
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I really wanted to fall in love with this hotel because I do appreciate historical preservation. But this property just had a strange vibe that didn't quite work for me. The main floor is well preserved and tastefully decorated but the constant flow of 1920's-1930's music over the sound system discouraged me from spending any time there.
The staff was not unfriendly, just not really on the ball. I had to wait for some time just to check in., Also, the elevator is vintage 1926 and can only be operated by a staff member, so when you can't locate one, you get to take the stairs.
The parking is very dicey. Nothing about it is convenient. They have a free lot across the street but if you have to take luggage from the lot and climb stairs, it gets challenging. And they only have one space for handicap parking.
The rooms are tiny. Manageable for one person but would be tough for two people. No place for luggage, the sink is right next to the bed and toilet is in a room so small I hit my head on the wall a few times just standing.
When I book a place like this I am hoping for a service-oriented hotel that gives me a pampered and sophisticated experience. This property felt more like an assisted living facility at times. Just kind of depressing.
The positives: the location is superb for dining and shopping choices. But I see that they can charge up to $500 for the room I was in and that would be far too much for a room of the size in which I stayed. I don't feel the urge to stay here again.

Room Tip: Prescott Brewery Company has excellent food and beverage choices.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Michael K, General Manager at Hassayampa Inn, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We're sorry to hear that your experience was anything less than the stellar service for which we are so well known, and dedicated to providing. Feel free to contact me at 928-778-9434 and I will be happy to address your concerns.
Regards, Michael
West Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This is a wonderful, historic hotel, though we did not stay overnight as we were in Prescott for just the day. It was built in 1927 and was restored in the 1980s so that it still shows the wonderful examples of the architecture of that day. The lobby shows off the beautiful tile work, the niches, the woodwork of that period. We ate lunch in the lunch restaurant which has recently been redone, again. The menu was diverse and the food and service were good. If you are in Prescott you should certainly stop by this hotel if only to see the historic interior; we would definitely spend the night the next time we visit; it is conveniently located to the center of town with all of its restarts, the plaza, and the Sharlot Hall Museum

Room Tip: This is really a tip to view the hotel and the beauty of it's workmanship dating from 1927; as s...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Michael K, General Manager at Hassayampa Inn, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you so much for your review of the Hassayampa Inn. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay! We look forward to having you visit again.
Tomball, Texas, USA
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My first time to Prescott and I decided to stay at the historic hotel in town. It was suppose to be for five nights but I barely got through the first night. The room was too small and I could hear people as they were coming down the halls to their rooms, it kept me up or woke me up until 2am. In all fairness I think I got the worst room they had to offer (408) I won't be going back to check that out as I do like my sleep and comforts and and a bath tub (no tubs). The staff is friendly, I didn't eat there so can't rate that. Hey, if you like history you might want to check it out, when you do just pretend it's 1890. Ps. The hotel let us change our booking without penalties.

Room Tip: Don't stay in 408
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello, thank you for taking the time to review the Hassayampa Inn. I am sorry to hear that you were not pleased with your stay. We do have units with tubs and we are always happy to accommodate room moves.
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed there with a large group and they couldn't have been nicer. Our group coordinator from Phoenix handled everything beautifully. The hotel is elegant, the food was exceptional & the staff was attentive to our needs. Being built in 1927, the rooms were all shapes & sizes but felt luxurious. It is within one block of Courthouse Plaza and within walking distance of many charming restaurants.

Room Tip: The elevator has to be run by front desk personnel, thus it can be a wait. If stairs are a problem...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review the Hassayampa Inn. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Looking forward to your next visit.